IGNORED

Favorite game?

7 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Also you'll learn where not to tread, as this may be the only game where just walking over a certain spot, drops you into a dungeon, and if you die, just play again!

That seems to be the biggest complaint. Always thought it looked cool, & would be willing to try it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Zelda 2 - despite what some same about it, seriously it's and awesome action adventure game. I can't say it's better then the original as they're so different but really enjoyable. The aspect of leveling up your life, magic and sword really give the feel of strength progression. Especially when returning to older areas after missing a spell or the likes.

Rampart - pretty fun port from the Arcade and the NES version is a little easier then others. This lowers the frustration of getting bombarded by the enemy (although it's still fairly hard)

Maniac Mansion - Not a bad point and click game where you swap between 3 characters though a kidnappers mansion. Sounds strange but there is that sense of discovery and puzzle like gameplay looking around for items to interact with. Game of trial and error and once completed the replay value is kind of lost. Still very fun a few times through.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2020 at 10:33 AM, bluejay said:

Simon's quest; really.

To be fair I haven't played very many NES games; I only own a handful of them. But Simon's Quest is the one I had the most fun playing.

8 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Zelda 2 - despite what some same about it, seriously it's and awesome action adventure game. I can't say it's better then the original as they're so different but really enjoyable. The aspect of leveling up your life, magic and sword really give the feel of strength progression. Especially when returning to older areas after missing a spell or the likes.

Tough one, buy my kneejerk reaction would have to be Simon’s Quest as well, followed closely by Zelda 2 and Blaster Master.

Always nice to see people show some love to those 2, after seeing years of negativity.

Zelda 2 was the reason I bought a NES – some girl in class brought it to school, I read the manual, and had to play it.    After getting a NES, Simon’s Quest was the game I rented when the video store didn’t have Zelda 2.

There are a lot of games for the system that loved back then (and still do) but those 2 specifically offered what I had always wanted from video games, breaking from the norm of arcade/high score styles.  And those were the 2 games that I always came back to, finishing them many, many times throughout my childhood NES days.

I can understand how folks were disappointed going from Castlevania 1 to 2, and Zelda 1 to 2.  I had that same disappointment going from 2 to 1 and finding that, while great games, they were missing all the awesome stuff from their sequels. 

• Like 2

On 1/1/2021 at 5:32 PM, GoldLeader said:

My Favorites are:

Deadly Towers*

---

*After exhaustive research,  I believe I am one of only 3 people on this planet who like this game, probably the only one who loves it**...(Use a Turbo joystick (as some enemies take lots of hits) and don't get mad if ya never beat it,  the joy is actually in playing it)...Also you'll learn where not to tread, as this may be the only game where just walking over a certain spot, drops you into a dungeon, and if you die, just play again!

Add me as number 4!  I loved this game back in the day, never completed it but never really felt the need to do so.  It was a ton of fun just playing it, exploring, finding new stuff. 

I would just go in random directions, but in a somewhat methodical manner... and was eventually actually able to figure out a path to get to the endgame area where you have to fight the bosses and burn the bells.  I could never finish it, though, because I was severely underpowered.

I've revisited it many times since then, and always enjoy my time with it (still haven't completed it... maybe one day!).

• Like 2

Simon's Quest is one of those id love to playthrough someday. I just keep putting it off mainly because a walkthough is basically needed for portions of the game. I usually try playing through games atleast the first time without looking up any help, however i know this is one most will need help. There is the theory that those near impossible cryptic roadblocks was to make people buy the Nintendo Power magazine. Obviously we will never know if that's true...

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 1

Solar Jetman.  If you like Thrust, Gravitar or Oids then this is worth checking out.  The Video Game Critic scored it a D, but what does he know?  Solar Jetman is by far my favourite NES game.  Thankfully you don't need a NES to play it as it is on the Rare Replay compilation for the XB1.

• Like 3

On 2/20/2021 at 11:08 AM, Razzie.P said:

Always nice to see people show some love to those 2, after seeing years of negativity.

I agree.  I enjoyed Zelda 2 as much, if not more than the original Legend of Zelda.  Simon's Quest is definitely the oddball of the Castlevania series, but I liked it a lot as a kid (and now you can even play one of the modded versions that makes it a bit less cryptic.)

Edited by Sargon
  • Like 2

It's funny as alot of the negativity surrounding Zelda 2 was from those who followed AVGN. Mike had recently mentioned he actually wrote that episode as James had never really played the game. Mike also mentioned it was one of his favorite games of all time. Was saying the only reason it was on the show was because they were looking for another game to feature and Mike knew it well as he owned it.

Zelda 1 & 2 are hard to compare as they're so different however both are really good. I find Zelda 2 does have more of a progression system with collecting experience points for upgrading your abilities. LOZ also does but with rupees and finding items but as i was saying the two are completely different.

Personally i think LOZ has more of a following as more people owned it and back in the day. Unless you were rich you really only had about 5 or so games in total.

• Like 1

I distinctly remember Zelda II (and less distinctly but still vaguely recall Castlevania II) getting negative reviews way before AVGN. These are childhood memories, so they're not perfect, but I couldn't have been influenced by AVGN on this because I was talking about it with friends before I even knew what that was. There was the old joke about the "different" sequels, Zelda II, Castlevania II, and SMB II, since they were all vastly different from their predecessors. This must have been early 90s. Funny note, at the time I hadn't played Castlevania II yet (and wouldn't have until emulation), but I had absorbed all of it from Nintendo Power. So these opinions were definitely formed well, well, well before Youtube gamers.

1 hour ago, Rhomaios said:

I distinctly remember Zelda II (and less distinctly but still vaguely recall Castlevania II) getting negative reviews way before AVGN.

From whom?  More and more these days, I come across people who claim that these games got bad reviews back in their heyday, but I've yet to see anyone back that up with quotes from even one magazine, let alone multiple ones.  Both of the North America localizations were released in December of 1988.  I was reading Nintendo Power back then and I sure as hell don't recall any bad reviews in them (surprise, surprise).  Not from my circle of friends or other kids at school, either.  Most people I meet tend to have an awful memory or at least a very selective one.  It wasn't until well into the 2000's that I began to see any negative reviews about either of these games (GameFAQs).  YouTube gaming didn't really take off until the late 2000's/early 2010's.  My guess is that you wouldn't be able to find anything earlier than the late 90's, at best.  Possibly, but not likely.

You're right that bad reviews (online) for both games predate AVGN and YouTube...but early 90's?  Not buying that at all.

• Like 1

For myself I can only say having played the first two original Zelda games as they were released back in the day that YES I was totally thrown off and somewhat disappointed when I first began playing Zelda II but I persevered and soon, though I had my frustrations did find I was enjoying it and I completed it which felt like an accomplishment that I certainly appreciated, I definitely came to love the game on it's own. It certainly was not what I expected but that turned out to not be a bad thing. As well though, it was a time when every game purchase was exciting and an adventure which is why long before that I had the same experiences with E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark on my Atari 2600. I was excited for them right from the start, I read the instructions straight through, enjoyed the games frustrations and all and had a great sense of accomplishment upon completing them. Great times, great memories and I definitely was a better player player in my youth. 

• Like 1

Im interested as to what these childhood school yard complaints about the games were? I understand with SM2 as i was never a fan of it back then and Simons Quest probably how it was cryptic however so was LOZ. Zelda2 though was brilliant and not really all that cryptic if you look hard enough. Action adventure games were nothing knew and i really can't find many flaws with the game TBH. Sure it wasn't the same as LOZ however it was great in it's own way.

The issues that AVGN mentioned are fairly irreverent, because if you actually play the game you find his complaints held no merit. "Error" isn't actually a glitch as his name is mentioned later in the game by another towns person. They all have weird and wacky names as was the same with LOZ.

Then the complaint about towns people having nothing interesting to say. Well that's intentional as you need to ask around and find the people who actually give clues or you can interact with.

Yes some say things like "i have nothing to say to you" and obviously translation from Japanese to English was rough back then. They probably didn't know what to say in English and used a translator for an equivalent meaning.

As someone who has finished the game many times over im still trying to think of any deal breakers. The action, exploration and sense of progression is there. Everything fits the build for a great game and to be honest i never owned it back then, although if i did i would have had a blast.

Personally i still feel many jump on the AVGN hype train without even playing some of these games. Many games he reviewed are actually good yet he hasn't the understanding of what to do. So many great games he has given a bad wrap yet games like the Castlevania series (which is good mind you) i feel he overrates and never shuts up about.

I also owned E.T and despite what others say even before AVGN but once again i never knew it as a bad game until the .net era. Geez i used to have alot of fun playing E.T back in the day looking for all the phone pieces and trying to get him home. At the time it was fairly mindblowing as there was nothing like it.

Sorry but im not a trend follower like some people, and it's nothing against James. It's just until i try these games for myself, then i make the decision if i like them or not. If i was a trend follower, then i would miss out on some great games.

That's my two dollars anyway.

EDIT: To be fair after going back to rewatch the review (was over a decade ago i watched it) he does defend the game somewhat. Still though i just don't understand the hate TBH

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 1:47 AM, bubufubu said:

From whom?  More and more these days, I come across people who claim that these games got bad reviews back in their heyday, but I've yet to see anyone back that up with quotes from even one magazine, let alone multiple ones.  Both of the North America localizations were released in December of 1988.  I was reading Nintendo Power back then and I sure as hell don't recall any bad reviews in them (surprise, surprise).  Not from my circle of friends or other kids at school, either.  Most people I meet tend to have an awful memory or at least a very selective one.  It wasn't until well into the 2000's that I began to see any negative reviews about either of these games (GameFAQs).  YouTube gaming didn't really take off until the late 2000's/early 2010's.  My guess is that you wouldn't be able to find anything earlier than the late 90's, at best.  Possibly, but not likely.

You're right that bad reviews (online) for both games predate AVGN and YouTube...but early 90's?  Not buying that at all.

Perhaps "reviews" was misleading. I meant people I knew who had negative opinions on the game. They never by the way rose to the level of vitriol that AVGN spews, but it was not the glorious acclaim that the first game got.

Also, where do you think the internet reviews came from if not from actual people playing the game? Just because your experience doesn't match mine exactly doesn't mean it didn't happen.

And either way, my main point was that there was negativity before AVGN. A lot of low or average scores can be found in reviews online starting from 2001, a decade before AVGN. It wasn't one man's opinion which influenced a bunch of youngsters, it was a bunch of people who played the game, hoped for more of the same, didn't get it, and was upset. Doesn't mean everyone felt that way, but to deny any polarity at all is baffling (again, whence the negativity originally?) and to attribute it all to one lame reviewer is factually incorrect.

• Like 2

I'm known for liking a lot of "crap" games, so it's rare for me to find a game that's completely unforgivable.  I think the only game I would put in the "irredeemable" pile would be The Last Starfighter.  That said, my favourite games are a bit different from what most people would suggest...

Romance of the Three Kingdoms II - I could put almost any Koei game here, but Ro3K2 combines a hardcore (for it's day) strategy experience with a (relatively) easy learning curve.  It takes a while to work out how everything works, and familiarity with the source material doesn't hurt (but isn't really required either).  This game actually led to me reading both major translations of the novel and researching the actual history behind it.

Wizardry: Knight of Diamonds - I LOVE dungeon crawlers, and this one is one of the best.  it's not as large as the first one (only 6 levels instead of 10), but unlike the first, you actually have to go almost everywhere on the map to succeed.  It's tough to learn, and makes an easier way to enter the genre than games like The Bard's Tale or Might & Magic (which are both excellent as well).

The Punisher - It's essentially a rail shooter.  One of my favourite characters, and one of my favourite games to rent back in the day.  Hard as fuck at first, but it gets significantly easier once you get going.  It's one of the rare few games that I've beaten many times, yet still go back to.

M.U.L.E. - One of the best multiplayer games I've ever played, regardless of system.  At it's best with a full game of four players, but still fun against the AI.  You essentially want to make the most money, while simultaneously making sure that everyone is prosperous enough to make the entire colony succeed.  One of the best competitive co-op games I've ever played.

But really, with the NES, there are very few games that one can't find something to enjoy.  There's also a ton that give unique games that, whether you like it or not, are still worth playing just to experience it. 

• Like 2

Reading back on my last comment and my dyslexia really had the best of me on that day. Usually i can keep it somewhat in check, but i get those days where my words are all over the place. Anyway thought id explain why it's a muddled mess... If you're able to read between the lines you can understand what i was trying to say.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Reading back on my last comment and my dyslexia really had the best of me on that day. Usually i can keep it somewhat in check, but i get those days where my words are all over the place. Anyway thought id explain why it's a muddled mess... If you're able to read between the lines you can understand what i was trying to say.

I read it...I understood.   I even gave it a like before I saw this,  I don't even think I (had to) read between the lines.  Perhaps it is because I, too, am a muddled mess.  But that's irrelevant...And irrelevant never forgets.

26443772d405cae74183be8e5870e130.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The thing about AVGN is that it's a character, not a representation of James.  Early on, I remember him popping up on NA because he was running out of games to critique that he knew much about, so wanted to know where to look for material.  James actually likes a bunch of the games that AVGN the character harps on.  Not all obviously, as he does review a LOT of crap as well, but games like TMNT, CV2, Zelda 2, etc, are not games he dislikes.  AVGN is a character taking minor issues and blowing them out of proportion for the lulz.  The problem is that too many people see it and take it as an unbiased review rather than the satire it is meant to be.  But that's not on James, that's on stupid people that can't differentiate between entertainment and fact, and don't have the mental capacity to form their own opinions about anything.  Anyone actually digging through old reviews from back in the day will find his complaints mentioned, sure, but they were never an issue to the magnitude that are made out in the videos even then.  And anyone who actually PLAYED those games back in the day loved them.  I never heard anything negative about them until the early to mid 2000s.  And AVGN wasn't the first to do this, he's just the most popular of the bunch, so giving him sole blame is also a fool's errand. 

• Like 1

Current Favorites:

Little Samson

All time favorite platformer so far. I love switching between the different characters on the fly in most levels. It’s not as difficult as games like Ninja Gaiden but just as technical in many ways.

Gimmick

I love gimmick! What a fun physics based platformer. Nothing plays or feels so physics based on an 8 bit console. It’s a pretty hard game to master, but once you get it down it’s a blast. Probably my all time favorite nes music. Sunsoft to me has the best 8bit music of all time. Konami is a close second with Castlevania.

River City Ransom

This is my all time favorite 2 player 8-bit beat em up. I love the Rpg elements. By the time your powered up you feel like a bad ass. Also a stellar soundtrack.

Batman

My favorite Batman game on any console . Somehow you feel more like Batman in this game than any after it. The music is also so great! You gotta love Sunsoft!

Ninja Gaiden

I love the first Ninja Gaiden. I still have never felt more like a Ninja Bad Ass. It’s technically a tough game, but that’s why I love it. It’s one of those games like Gimmick that when you master it you really can impress your friends. I would say Mike Tysons punch out falls into the impress your friends category as well.

Kirbys Adventure

This is the opposite of an impress your friends game, which is why I like it so much. This is an easy going platformer that lets you enjoy the end of the nes generation in style and fun. I really enjoy playing this with my 8 year old daughter. It’s also a blast for me to play as well. This fits so nicely at the end of this list, because after playing these other games your going to need a break.

These are a few of my favs right now.

• Like 1

Death Race: You enter an arena, use your car to shoot down stuff, capture the enemy flag, and find the exit

Then use your earnings to repair/upgrade your car. Rinse and repeat for eight levels.

Next, the ultimate challenge of doing it again without any repairs!

So much fun.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bionic Commando is my top NES game.

Other Tier 1 games, for me would be

Zelda 2

Kid Icarus

Metroid

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Super Mario Bros 2

Castlevania 2

Faxanadu