IGNORED

First Five 5200 games

phuzaxeman

I remember coming down into the living room of my grandparents split level home and seeing pac man on the atari. I only had a vague idea about games from maybe a couple uprights at the grocery store.  I dont think we kids were immediately invited to play it.  I was probably...7..assuming that was around Christmas 1982?  My earliest recollections are Pac Man, Breakout....mostly those two for a while, i think.  Then later we got a lot of carts, and im not sure of the order.  Earliest hits included Pole Position, Galaxian, Kangaroo, Jungle Hunt, Centipede, but i dont know the order.

• Like 1

Super Breakout, Space Invaders, Galaxian, Star Raiders, and Missile Command. Not a dog in the bunch.

Christmas morning my brother and I woke up, ran to the living room, and tore open our 4-port. After seeing the commercials, magazine ads, and store displays for months we were amped up like little berserkers to finally get our hands on it.

-~-~ May all your Christmas mornings be as fun as Christmas 1982 ~-~-

• Like 1

Same here Christmas 1982. We played Super Breakout with all five members of my family for hours. Then of course my father brought me to an electronic store that seemed, as a kid, so far away. He got me Pac-Man and Galaxian. Behind the glass counter, I remember seeing Qix too, I thought it was a doodle game. If I recall correctly, later on it was Star Raiders, which blew me away, and Centipede, which blew me away...

• Like 1

I wasn't blessed with a 5200 until around 2007 or so.  I ordered one with, I'm pretty sure, five games.  I believe those games were:

• Super Breakout
  • Qix
  • Star Raiders
  • Centipede
  • Countermeasure

All games I loved from the rare occasions I got to play the 5200 as a kid.

• Like 2

well i got my first 5200 in a trade in around 1987 for a sega master system it came with about 20 games

superbreakout

pacman

galaxian

centipede

tennis

digdug

berzerk

moon patrol

vanguard

space invaders

robotron

pengo

mario bros

jungle hunt

joust

defender

choplifter

football

kangaroo

ms pacman

• Like 1

Super Breakout came with every 5200 until they added Pac-man instead. That was with the 2-port introduction. My guess is the reason people don't remember it much is because it was so lame compared to the other titles.

I got Galaxian, Star Raiders, Missile Command, Space Invaders and Soccer. Had to wait until early 1983 for Defender and Centipede to be released.

3 minutes ago, bohoki said:

well i got my first 5200 in a trade in around 1987 for a sega master system it came with about 20 games

superbreakout

pacman

galaxian

centipede

tennis

digdug

berzerk

moon patrol

vanguard

space invaders

robotron

pengo

mario bros

jungle hunt

joust

defender

choplifter

football

kangaroo

ms pacman

Nice find!

My first 5, when and after I got my first 5200 for my 17th Birthday (May 19, 1983):

Super Breakout (the included pack-in game)

Missile Command (got it for my Birthday along with my CX53 Trak-Ball, in which made it SO easy to play)

Pac-Man (about a week or 2 later)

Centipede (same time)

Defender (sometime later affer that)

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 6:55 PM, Allan said:

Super Breakout came with every 5200 until they added Pac-man instead. That was with the 2-port introduction. My guess is the reason people don't remember it much is because it was so lame compared to the other titles.

I got Galaxian, Star Raiders, Missile Command, Space Invaders and Soccer. Had to wait until early 1983 for Defender and Centipede to be released.

even if nobody else agrees, i gotta protest that Super Breakout isnt lame.  I still enjoy it today (sure, maybe some nostalgia playing a role) but it really taught me devotion to a hard challenge and rewarded skill in that classic masochistic atari "just one more try" sort of fashion.  

9 hours ago, unoclay said:

even if nobody else agrees, i gotta protest that Super Breakout isnt lame.  I still enjoy it today (sure, maybe some nostalgia playing a role) but it really taught me devotion to a hard challenge and rewarded skill in that classic masochistic atari "just one more try" sort of fashion.  

I dig 5200 Super Breakout and I don't care if that makes people uncomfortable.

• Like 3

I never had a 5200 until long after the onset of adulthood. I did have a 2600 as a kid and super breakout and I played a lot of super breakout and i agree it definitely isn't lame. I like it. I have it also on the 5200 and played it on that as well years later. The sound and graphics were better than the 2600 version but it was quite similar to the version I played as a kid. Sure it's not graphically flashy compared against other 5200 titles but l certainly wouldn't call it lame. Just my humble opinion of course. ?

Edited by john_q_atari
Grammar
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, pixelatedharmony said:

What are a good first five 5200 games that would be engrossing for someone who’s never played/is unfamiliar with Atari consoles of that time period?

Depends what someone is into.

You can't go wrong with these titles:

Centipede

Star Raiders

Jungle Hunt

Galaxian

Popeye

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...