IGNORED

First Five 5200 games

phuzaxeman

Ouch my (december) wording of "rise up" is maybe some inadvertent bad timing what with the insurrection attempt in the past days.  Allow me to refine my statement:

"Super Breakout Fans, let our voices be heard in a peaceful and meaningful way, and allow us to engage in civil and respectful debate, even with those whom we strongly disagree"

Please, for all that is holy, No Politics! Pretty please. :)

Super Breakout is still a fun game and actually works perfectly with the 5200 controller. You can move back and forth really fast with very little hand-movement, making it easier to play (in my opinion) than even the 2600 paddle for the 2600 version of Super Breakout and games like it.

Because this was such a simple game, I just wish they had added more variety to it though. They had plenty of room. I think making Pac-Man the pack in game (which they did eventually with the 2-port release) might have been a better choice though and would have helped sell the machine better. I think they were still trying to figure out how to sell a system.

People at that time wanted arcade games overall.

2600 Combat was a good choice for a pack-in for the VCS partly because it had a lot of variety. Plus back in '77, video games in arcades where just coming out.  By the '82 the pinball machines were getting neglected for Mrs. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, etc. and people wanted to play these at home.

13 hours ago, Allan said:

Please, for all that is holy, No Politics! Pretty please. :)

Super Breakout is still a fun game and actually works perfectly with the 5200 controller. You can move back and forth really fast with very little hand-movement, making it easier to play (in my opinion) than even the 2600 paddle for the 2600 version of Super Breakout and games like it.

Because this was such a simple game, I just wish they had added more variety to it though. They had plenty of room. I think making Pac-Man the pack in game (which they did eventually with the 2-port release) might have been a better choice though and would have helped sell the machine better. I think they were still trying to figure out how to sell a system.

People at that time wanted arcade games overall.

2600 Combat was a good choice for a pack-in for the VCS partly because it had a lot of variety. Plus back in '77, video games in arcades where just coming out.  By the '82 the pinball machines were getting neglected for Mrs. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, etc. and people wanted to play these at home.

Funny how in the arcades today, it's the pinball machines getting more love than the arcade cabinets. 

I've noticed that at our local Barcade, actually.  They started including about 5 pins last year and i see a lot of food traffic at them, perhaps more than the actual video games. 

Personally, as a strongly biased video game enthusiast, i suspect that Pins appeal to the casual visitors a bit more, because they "understand" the basic concepts better than perhaps the abstractions of older games. 

Though, i personally think learning to be great at pinball is often harder to achieve than relative competency at an old upright....or maybe i just suck at pinball.

1 hour ago, unoclay said:

I've noticed that at our local Barcade, actually.  They started including about 5 pins last year and i see a lot of food traffic at them, perhaps more than the actual video games. 

Personally, as a strongly biased video game enthusiast, i suspect that Pins appeal to the casual visitors a bit more, because they "understand" the basic concepts better than perhaps the abstractions of older games. 

Though, i personally think learning to be great at pinball is often harder to achieve than relative competency at an old upright....or maybe i just suck at pinball.

I never played a lot of pinball in the 80s.  Today, I play it about the same or more than arcade video games at our local arcade here. I've had a deeper appreciation for pins as I've gotten older. 

i appreciate it in a big way, artistically and mechanically and everything.  Sadly i have some major pain problems with my wrists, so playing Pins is like an invitation to weeks of aching soreness.  Visted the pin museum in vegas a few years ago and some really cool ones in Japan when i was there, though.  Very amazing on every level.  Here's a handheld video from my visit to the one in Osaka

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/23/2020 at 4:15 AM, phuzaxeman said:

Christmas 1982 was so amazing.  My first games were Super Breakout and Galaxian.  Next was Defender and Centipede.  I think our 5th game was Baseball.  

What were your first 5 atari 5200 games?

I came in rather late... more specifically 2018!!?

I ordered used 5200 consoles packed with 40++ games...

The first stuff I tried out was:

Pole Position,

Star Wars Arcade,

Pengo,

Mario Bros

Moon Patrol

• Like 1