IGNORED

A 64-Bit Interactive Multimedia System Demo (for JagGD/Skunkboard)

Clint Thompson

Now that more JagGD carts are beginning to ship, it's probably a good time to release another (short) demo! Ideally, it should only be played on real hardware and preferably on a CRT, if available.

ABOUT THE DEMO:

Under the surface, it's really just multiple test beds that I created to learn from and experiment with over the years, modified for release so that you can see the translation of a few ideas fully implemented into something that works in simple form. The game I'm currently working on (Zilch) will implement some features from this demo and is expected to be released next year shortly after the first one (Simone). I created this demo using rB+ (and if you've ever been curious about programming for the Jaguar, rB+ is where it's at!)

64bitdemo.thumb.jpg.818f7764cd7d38a5e4a11c084d542630.jpg

Special thanks to Andrew "MasterCast TV" and Lina Louise for not only doing the character voice-overs but also allowing me to transform their physical presence into the digitized Jaguar world. It all worked out so well for this demo and am pleased with the outcome as a result! Also, thanks to CyranoJ for some last minute assistance with an issue I was having and a shout out to everyone involved in making rB+ a possibility!

WARNING:
This demo is rated M for Mature due to language. Those sensitive to curse words and mature content in general, please steer clear from this demo, as it's not intended for you. There will be better things for you to see in the future that will be far nicer or friendlier in that regard, Zilch and Simone specifically.

To load on Skunkboard uing JCP:

At the command prompt, type in:

jcp -f -6 64bitdemo.rom

If the demo doesn't load shortly after it flashes, power cycle the Jaguar then press and hold A and UP simultaneously to manually launch the demo in 6MB mode.

Any issues or questions aside, please feel free to PM me directly.

64BitDemo.rom

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words, appreciate everyone taking the time to download it and give it a try.

8 hours ago, K3V said:

a16acbc3865b6778f0e8fe7bda5ba2f6.jpg

Awesome way to start the day! Thanks Clint!

I absolutely love this picture, as it really captures the "64-Bit Interactive Multimedia System" title/text with the demo running on the screen below it :D

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 3

Had the chance to check this out today on my recently arrived Jaguar GD. It's really impressive, not only from an artistic point of view. To pack these nice graphics and actual voiceover in a 6mb demo is really nice. Looking forward for further developments :)

It kind of reminded me a bit on "American hero" [emoji23]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally had a second to check it out today. I tried to have a "quick" look on Virtual Jaguar as my Jag is currently not connected but I had input issues that I couldn't solve.

Looks like I'll have a reason to connect the Jag and load it to the skunk. And maybe try some of the other new downloads as well. ? In any case they graphic looks really great and I enjoyed seeing the dude walk around...that was all I could do with the messed up input on my VJ. ?

Looking forward to see more, great to see you being able to create such nice screens on your own Clint, I already was impressed with some of your other renderings I saw already. Keep it up.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CD-i said:

It kind of reminded me a bit on "American hero" emoji23.png

Lol yeah :lol: had considered the idea of pushing the adult theme a little more but wanted this to be a generalized demo that most could check out without being immediately offended.

22 hours ago, BeefMan said:

Well done Clint, that ending lol.  The art, animation, voice acting are all top notch. Would love to see this expanded. Maybe released in episodes?

Can’t wait to see what Zilch and Simone are all about.

kudos to rB+ team as well!

Glad you appreciate the ending :) I was trying to find an easy way to end it on a memorable note, just didn’t want to spend too much time on it over the other projects that are actual games. 

The idea is to expand what I’ve learned and utilize the SD cart for storage space for the Cyberpunk game I’ve been working on.

Simone will be available to download within the next few weeks, finally! 

18 hours ago, PeterG said:

Looks like I'll have a reason to connect the Jag and load it to the skunk. And maybe try some of the other new downloads as well. ? In any case they graphic looks really great and I enjoyed seeing the dude walk around...that was all I could do with the messed up input on my VJ.

Cool :) you missed the hacking part then, which is the grits of the demo I feel. Definitely run that on real hardware if you can since it runs 2x slower in emulation causing you to cheat the timer.

Curious, did anyone happen to fail hacking the ATM on the first go around or did I make it too easy? 

4 hours ago, CD-i said:

Will your games be game drive exclusive?

Only the few that have to be due to utilizing the excess storage space. 

Simone will be downloadable for Skunk and GD with a physical Jag CD release. Zilch will be a cart only release.

4 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

I tried it yesterday on the GD, I couldn't seem to interact with the atm... Am I missing something obvious? I'll try again tomorrow. 

You have to hold up while pressing B once you get to the ATM to activate it.

On 12/30/2020 at 1:10 PM, Clint Thompson said:

Curious, did anyone happen to fail hacking the ATM on the first go around or did I make it too easy? 

I did not fail, despite it taking me a minute to figure out what to do, and I generally suck at video games, so it may be a tad easy.

The bit about needing to be holding up while pressing B threw me though, and I wandered around thinking I'd missed something for a while before happening upon it by luck/minor frustration (Fine I'll just ram the thing...oh, there it goes). Not intuitive, but if there are game mechanics reasons for it, a visual queue that only appears while holding up might help people discover it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so finally I got my Jaguar connected again, although it is not without shortcomings, my new TV does not have a Scart input anymore so I have to use one of those Scart to HDMI boxes and somehow using that, my TV refuses to be set to a 4:3 image but well, I'll find a way eventually.

Now I tried to load your demo onto my Skunk (Using the Gui) but all I get is a black screen. I also tried power cycling and holding Up + A but still just a black screen. Any Idea what I can do?

5 hours ago, PeterG said:

Now I tried to load your demo onto my Skunk (Using the Gui) but all I get is a black screen. I also tried power cycling and holding Up + A but still just a black screen. Any Idea what I can do?

AFAIK, loading with the GUI isn’t an option and doesn’t work for some reason. JCP in dos command or bust unfortunately.