IGNORED

Paprium Game Hardware Testing / Compatibility

-^CrossBow^-

There is now a similar thread at Sega-16 but as many people might not have access to those forums I figured a similar thread here at AtariAge might be good as well. The specific purpose of this thread is for listing the hardware you have and the results you get when playing the newly released Paprium beat-em up. Many new owners of this game have reported issues with lockups, graphicaly anomalies (that aren't part of the game at least), or just plain not loading up at all. 

The goal is to see if a pattern or specific configuration can be found to better understand what the game might actually require for most users in order for it to operate. The game was listed as having issues with certain Genesis/Megadrive models but nothing specific was given regarding those details. Perhaps some resolutions can be found if we pool our experiences together. 

PLEASE! Keep this thread to only listing the hardware models of Genesis/Megadrive you have and if you have experienced any issues in trying to play the game. This is NOT a thread to discuss the game itself and so I would encourage that those members wanting to discuss game specifics, create a thread dedicated to the game for that purpose. This is strictly for trying to help diagnose what might be working or not working for those who have experienced issues. Also note that I'm not affiliated with Watermelon in any capacity nor have an influence regarding that company and its members/developer talent.

Here is the list of the Genesis / Megadrive consoles I have on hand that I tested the game with playing all the way through the end of Stage 1 either on Arcade or Original mode and any issues if any that I had:

:- Model 1 va2 - This one is the one I've been playing the game on mostly and it seems to work without any issues. This one has modified audio and repairs done to it (M1 mega amp and Double Mega installed), new 2A output voltage regulators and recapped about 7 years ago along with at least one maybe two small jumper wires off the cartridge port due to bad traces on the mainboard.

:- Model 1 va6*/# - This unit has been recapped with s-video added and also has a M1 Mega Amp installed to handle the audio. This one hangs up on the copyright screen just after the Licensed by Sega screen as this is a TMSS unit.

:- Model 2 va1 - Works properly and is an all stock unit with no prior service having been done.

:- Model 1 va3 - Works properly and is mostly stock with RCAs added to the back fed directly off the 1034 chip inside the Genesis
:- JPN Megadrive Model 1 va3 - Works properly and is also all stock with no prior service.

* - works when attached to model 2 SegaCD unit.

# - works with 32x add-on attachment.

All of these were tested using an original OEM Genesis power supply and no attachments such as the 32x or SegaCD. So at least in my collection of Genesis/megadrive units I only have the va6 that doesn't seem to work with my copy of the game unless connected to the SegaCD. I didn't test it on just the 32x attached but it was interesting to see it get past the license screen when connected up to a SegaCD and work properly thereafter.

I've been playing on NA Sega Genesis's Original High Definition Graphics 1601 (FJ8USASEGA) and a Genesis 2 MK-1631 (FJ8MD2SEGA) and the games appear to play well, but is the total score at the end of each stage supposed to be a mix of numbers and letters? The scores for certain actions (Life, Score, Dignity) are added together and then displays the total as a mix of numbers and letters. For example, 421B as seen in the picture below. This can't be normal can it? Does this on both consoles.

DSC01267.JPG

Edited by livingonwheels

Yes...that is normal. Look on the back of the box and you will see that the year the game takes place in is written as 8A2. I believe everything is represented as combination of decimal and hex values. So in the case of this game, it says it takes place in the year 8A2. If you take that hex value and convert it to decimal it becomes the year 2210. Your score shows 421B so that comes out to 16,923 in standard decimal form. 

So yes, it is intentional and I'm sure was an artist choice to be different.

Do you happen to know the specific variant of your 1601 model 1 and 1631 model 2 systems?

3 hours ago, livingonwheels said:

Genesis model 1 High Definition Graphics with TMSS, VA6

Genesis model 2 VA1.8

Interesting a va6 that works as it should? Mine required either the 32x or the SegaCD to be attached and others over at Sega-16 have reported similar. You don't have either of those connected up to your Genesis systems correct?

No there is also a va6.5 and the dreaded va7 that is basically a model 2 design crammed into a model 1 shell.

I've also heard of some va4 that have been known to have TMSS but I haven't encountered one myself. Not sure I've even seen anything other than va2, va3 and va6 - 6.5 and 7 of the Model 1 units.

24 minutes ago, livingonwheels said:

Now I'm not too sure. I just opened it and the board has VA5 and VA6 stamped on it. Am I looking in the right place?

DSC01271.JPG

The markings tell you which board revision you have. Look at the main 315 chip and if it ends in 5433 then it is a VA6 model 1, but it ends in 5402, that would be a VA5.

Most people with issues will either get what I have, which is the game never getting past the initial copyright screen just after the TMSS Sega license screen. Or it will start to goof up within a few min of playing and most can't even get past the 1st stage without some hiccups etc. The best tests is to just leave the game running in demo/attract mode for a while and then play a game and see how it works. That would be a pretty good stress test to be sure. There is talk of a possible hardware change being noted on the different models that I'm going to check out tonight and test for myself.

I tested another 5 Genesis 1 units with Paprium. They are all TMSS consoles Non-High Definition Graphics models. In 3 of 5  Paprium does not get past the initial copyright screen just after the TMSS Sega license screen. 2 of them boots the game and appears to play but I haven't spent any considerable time with any of them. No Sega CD or 32X attached to any. I presume I have to open each one in order to find the actual board revision?

I just opened the 2 that boot Paprium.

One is 5433

One is 5487-01

Edited by livingonwheels

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, philyso said:

The one with 315-5433 is either MD1 VA6, VA6.5 or VA6.8

The one with 315-5487-01 is a MD1 VA7

It would be interesting to compare the ones which don't boot the game with the first one as they are likely all MD1 VA6.

Yeap, because there has to be some difference in the MD1 va6 units that will boot and those that won't. Could be a factory bodged in component like a cap or something. Or possibly different brand or speed of the vram etc? What is known is that on the MD1 va6 or any other MD1 that doesn't seem to work. Nearly all of them get hung up on the copyright screen just after the TMSS messages on them. So it has to be at that point is where the game is doing the hardware detection checks for a SegaCD, 32x.. and then boots. Since the game locks on the copyright on some of these models, there must be something that makes the game think there is something attached like the SegaCD that actually isn't and it is trying to initialize getting stuck in a loop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 6:11 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Here is the list of the Genesis / Megadrive consoles I have on hand that I tested the game with playing all the way through the end of Stage 1 either on Arcade or Original mode and any issues if any that I had:

:- Model 1 va3 - Works properly and is mostly stock with RCAs added to the back fed directly off the 1034 chip inside the Genesis

I did a recap on my Genesis this weekend, and I checked which board I have while I had the console open. Mine is a Genesis model 1 VA3, and it does not work well with Paprium (will play fine for a while, and then I get graphics corruption). I wonder what the difference is with my console that prevents it from working.

That would be the first I've heard of a MD1 va3 having issues? The only differences between the MD1 va2 and va3 would be that the va3 corrects the issue with distortion on loud notes and sounds and I believe that might be when the actual Motorola branded 68k CPUs were starting to get used. Mine has a Signetics branded 68K.

Do you have any other mods etc present in that MD1 or is otherwise fully stock minus the 40 caps you had to replace out in it LOL!

On 1/17/2021 at 8:19 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Have you tried to play it without the SegaCD attached? I assume it does work without it minus the CPU assisted player?

Good call on trying it without the Sega CD attached. I tried it, and it works fine.

So, for some reason, my VA3 model 1 attached to a model 2 Sega CD causes graphics corruption. However, the 32X added to this combination seems to fix this.

By the way, I've also tried it on my Nomad with no issues (both playing it as a handheld as well as playing it on a TV via SCART).

37 minutes ago, chicgamer said:

Good call on trying it without the Sega CD attached. I tried it, and it works fine.

So, for some reason, my VA3 model 1 attached to a model 2 Sega CD causes graphics corruption. However, the 32X added to this combination seems to fix this.

By the way, I've also tried it on my Nomad with no issues (both playing it as a handheld as well as playing it on a TV via SCART).

So if you only have the SegaCD attached to your va3 you get graphic corruption but it plays fine otherwise?

Plays totally fine if you use it stock?

Plays normally if you have the 32x attached and the SegaCD?

Does it still play normal with only the 32x attached?

Here's what I'm experiencing:

VA3 model 1 alone: fine

VA3 model 1 with 32X attached: fine

VA3 model 1 with model 2 Sega CD attached: graphics corruption after playing for several minutes (typically, by the end of the first level)

VA3 model 1 with 32X and model 2 Sega CD attached: fine.

Okay, that kinda makes sense although most people have the opposite issue where they require a SegaCD or 32x attached on their setups. I have a va3 model 1 both US and JPN. But I never tested them connected up to my model 2 SegaCD. My model 1 va2 works in all setups with out issue. But now I might have to connect those two back up and plug them into my model 2 to see if I can replicate the issues you've seen. 

What is pretty consistent in all that have experienced issues, is that it is related to the detection routine in the game in regards to the SegaCD. And that is surprising considering the issues that WM had with the first releases of Pier Solar not working on model 1 SegaCD systems and having to be corrected in later releases. You would think that was something they would have figured out at this point. Hmm... 

BTW, that is why I have my model 2 CD attached and not my model1 is because of issues with both Pier Solar and Escape 2042.

7 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

BTW, that is why I have my model 2 CD attached and not my model1 is because of issues with both Pier Solar and Escape 2042.

What is the issue with Escape 2042? I played through most of that game, and then it crashed on me, and I've never gone back. I just assumed the game was buggy. I didn't think it might be my setup that caused it.

By the way, did you see that St1ka referenced this thread in his Paprium review?

1 hour ago, chicgamer said:

What is the issue with Escape 2042? I played through most of that game, and then it crashed on me, and I've never gone back. I just assumed the game was buggy. I didn't think it might be my setup that caused it.

By the way, did you see that St1ka referenced this thread in his Paprium review?

The issue I had with Escape 2042 was that the audio CD for it didn't work on my model 1 SegaCD. It was confirmed later on by Orion that they only had model 2 SegaCDs to test it with and it did work on that just fine. I never had an issue with the game locking up as I recall. Pier Solar didn't work right on the audio cd through my model 1 SegaCD either so I got a model 2 just so I wouldn't have to worry about it going forward with games.