IGNORED

Berserk, what a wonderful game!

KAZ

While at The Midwest Classic in Milwaukee, WI I picked up Berserk for the Atari 5200.

I had heard that it had voice in it, and I knew I wanted to eventually get it in my collection!

It did not disappoint me when I tried it out with my Wico controller.

The voice stuff is all there, and actually sounds almost exactly like the arcade.

The Atari 5200 itself seems to be stretched to the limits of its capabilities, as the game stops completely when Evil Otto arrives, to play the voice. And in between levels it stops to do this also.

It doesn't detract from the game as far as I saw.

Of course! 5200 Berzerk has always been one of the best arcade translations around. Unfortunately it came out a couple of years too late I think because by that time, Berzerk was a 'has been' in the arcade scene. Oh well, it still rocks

By the way I remember like a year or two ago, www.videogames.com had some kind of 'history of videogames' write up and one thing they showed was a screenshot of 5200 Berzerk. Anyway I don't remember the exact phrasing but the caption said something to the effect of "Berzerk was one of the translations for the 5200, however, it didn't have voice of course".. Oh man I freaked out! That was blasphemy as far as I was concerned

IMHO even BETTER than the arcade game. It's just so playable. At least you have some (small) chance on the later levels (you can also make the man go a bit faster by waggling the joystick unlike the arcade)

I never looked, but maybe half the cart must be just data for speech....and yes, it sure kicks the crap out of the proc to play samples, keeping the timing precise enough for it to sound right is the main problem.

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: Sheddy ]

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200berzerk.html

I have always felt that Berzerk was one of the Supersystem's top five games. I love it. The suspense is well done.

The only negative is that firing on diagonals can get tricky with a stock controller. Not impossible, mind you, just trickier than a tight digital stick would require.

• 16 years later...