IGNORED

Atari OS on other hardware

jhd

I still cannot figure out, why somebody wants to "hack" an OS, which simply is a slightly adapted Linux distro. It doesn't even have apps for Netflix or Amazon Prime. On the "AtariOS" the Netflix/Amazon-Prime "apps" are just Google Chrome shortcuts. It seems to me that the Atari team just programmed the dashboard and the online shop...and somehow integrated Atari Emus...but I am no expert...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Charles Darwin said:

I still cannot figure out, why somebody wants to "hack" an OS, which simply is a slightly adapted Linux distro. It doesn't even have apps for Netflix or Amazon Prime. On the "AtariOS" the Netflix/Amazon-Prime "apps" are just Google Chrome shortcuts. It seems to me that the Atari team just programmed the dashboard and the online shop...and somehow integrated Atari Emus...but I am no expert...

Q: Why does the dog lick its testicles?

A: Because it can.

• Haha 2

Well, one can at least buy that board, but with max 4GB RAM on-board it's not much use. ?
Drivers will not be compatible, but if you take only the GUI, on top of normal Linux, it's fine.

It is cheap though... but the Intel chip is also old.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005001697483480.html

Also, the AMD APU is several times faster, and the graphics comparison is even worse...

benchmark.thumb.png.c982fd0a19b611e4430e7ff8e68e3243.png

It's enough though to run up the user interface, some of the web-apps, and fake a VCS.
For somebody who only wants to get a headline on YouTube, it will probably be just fine.

7 minutes ago, Wizzard said:

I would not need to run the whole Atari OS just to play that VCS games.

Well...  You might need to have their OS in place to do exactly that.  Referring to earlier in the thread:

On 12/23/2020 at 8:38 PM, CPUWIZ said:

Likely due to online activity, they probably have a bunch of keys etc., baked into the image.  Server addresses, etc. etc. all useful info for people who want to roll their own.

What I don't understand is what you would gain by running the VCS' GUI on top of another distro.  Frankly, it sounds like a lot of work to do something that could be accomplished by having a couple of runs of a package manager install the appropriate emulator(s) on your distro of choice and have the same end result.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Well...  You might need to have their OS in place to do exactly that.  Referring to earlier in the thread:

It is much easier to run one app from normal Linux OS than to run whole OS, that is not a full-featured distro.

It is very simple. I just told (and others) that it would be the best to have the ability to run that Atari dashboard with the games in normal production Linux distro. Normal Linux distro supports wifi, sound, etc. I did not say it will be easy to have this. That is all.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wizzard said:

It is very simple. I just told (and others) that it would be the best to have the ability to run that Atari dashboard with the games in normal production Linux distro. Normal Linux distro supports wifi, sound, etc. I did not say it will be easy to have this. That is all.

Okay, that makes more sense, and I follow what you're saying now.

It would probably be a lot easier to rebuild the kernel on the VCS OS to work with the hardware being targetted than to try to excise the dashboard from the VCS OS and graft it onto another distro. Wifi, sound, and so forth are going to be a function of the kernel (and drivers), not the dashboard.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

Apertis 202012.04 is running fine on Asus FX504 (Intel I5 8th Gen) except WIFI/Bluetooth audio, boot to bashboard OK, play Vault games OK

Wired Giga network is detected at start, I can change language (french for me), but can't update.

I wait for a RTL8822CE Wifi/Bluetooth card from China for tests on my laptop :) Maybe Wifi + Bluetooth audio in couples of weeks, I hope... 

IMG_20210416_195412.jpg

IMG_20210416_185005.jpg

IMG_20210416_185043.jpg

IMG_20210416_185458.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, TwoShedsWilson said:

This now something I want to play with. Now to locate the download. I'm also wating for this same thing with the PolyMega.

The download you mean is based on the official Apertis restore image 2020.1204.160451 named, "atari-flasher-ab-upgrade.img" 
There are some fews and easy operations to do with the original Apertis restore image to create USB bootable Apertis disk or install Apertis on internal flash disk (permanent).

I don't know if it's the place here to explain details or not ? @justclaws Is it the place ?

• 3 weeks later...

All hail the HackAtariOS Atari VCS portable, for richer people (than me). ?

(Well, it's on IndieGogo right now - I thought in ETA Prime's video it's for sale.)
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/--191853/coming_soon

ETA-Prime shows it running Cyberpunk 2077, and various emulators, in this.

15 hours ago, justclaws said:

All hail the HackAtariOS Atari VCS portable, for richer people (than me). ?

(Well, it's on IndieGogo right now - I thought in ETA Prime's video it's for sale.)
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/--191853/coming_soon

ETA-Prime shows it running Cyberpunk 2077, and various emulators, in this.

Good thing it's on Indiegogo.  Its credibility would have been in question otherwise.

• Haha 1