IGNORED

Removing Peterson 320XE upgrade

Larry

I'm going with an ECI external memory solution, so will be removing the Peterson upgrade. (Allows me to use UAV Rev C for the S-video.)  Can I completely remove the 256Kb dram chips (socketed)?  Or can I leave them in place without the wiring connections and then have essentially a stock ram configuration? (One bank 64Kb ram + one bank 256Kb ram = 128KB?)

There have been several over the years.  I'm currently using the Turbo Freezer from ABBUC. 512KB allowing stock OS + "Old Runner" and has a pass-thru for my IDE+2.  I've never used the old OS except to test it when I received the TF.  If you don't need a PBI pass-thru, the original Jurgen's (tf_hh) SysCheck 2.2 gives you 512 KB + 4 OS.  He has absolutely top-shelf products for our 8-bits!  Look here for a link to his PDF catalog:

I'd say it depends how the external solution works.  If it doesn't supply the base 64K then you'd need the 130XE to supply it.

When 320XL was in dev, I requested a compatibility fix for VBXE - it has a jumper to allow either overriding the base 64K or leaving it be (which VBXE needs for it's memory windows to work)

If your external does supply the base 64K then obviously you should be able to remove the existing upgrade but obviously the computer won't work at all without the external one plugged in.

I hadn't planned on removing the base 64K -- just the expanded 64K.  (They are socketed.) I guess I'll try both ways, and if necessary I can always put 64Kb chips back in.  There should be plenty of them here, somewhere... Actually, that might be the cleanest solution. Then without the external expansion, it will be a regular 130XE.

• 3 weeks later...

If you remove the peterson you need to put the lifted legs etc back and repair any cut traces if you opted for some of the other modifications

If the second row of chips is left in but upper select is removed it will yield a 192k fully XE Separate ANTIC banking machine....