IGNORED

1088XEL Arrived from The Brewing Academy

Blues76

I want to thanks Marlin @MacRorie for sending me a beautiful product, creating this amazing video, and delivering sooner than promised (way sooner).

I still need to get me a PS/2 keyboard or find the one I have somewhere.

I'm going to be honest. The U1MB has so many moving pieces that it is not easy for me to grasp everything right away but I'm excited.

I have not turned on yet because I need a few things but I'm extremely happy.

I did tell my wife it cost me around 30 dollars, if she asks :) LOL -- However, she hasn't seen what it is, just the box, so I don't think she will buy it. She told me to stop buying Atari stuff. But the time she notices....

EDIT: Added corrected link

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Congrats on the machine, the video link does not work?

Lying to the wife......Big mistake, they have a sixth sense about these things...Expect pain :) (Be it physical or worse still, mental...)

You are right. 

Well, let’s just say is the truth from a specific perspective. 

2 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Congrats on the machine, the video link does not work?

Lying to the wife......Big mistake, they have a sixth sense about these things...Expect pain :) (Be it physical or worse still, mental...)

Working from home during lockdown has been an ideal opportunity for Atari stuff to appear. I've not exactly lied but she doesn't know what has arrived ?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mimo said:

Working from home during lockdown has been an ideal opportunity for Atari stuff to appear. I've not exactly lied but she doesn't know what has arrived ?

Well, I didn’t lie. I did buy something that cost 30.. I just didn’t say what cost the rest :)

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, DavidD said:

Is the Brewing Academy located in Woodland?  It sounds very familiar...

This is from the about page of their website:

Who are we?  The Brewing Academy LLC is located in Woodland, California, USA near Sacramento.  We have been in Woodland since 2015 and have been operating in one form or another since 2005. 

Edited by BillC

21 hours ago, Larry said:

What main options did you get?  And what was the total price?  When you have a chance to use it for awhile, how about a short review (from your user perspective) here?  

I will post the options soon. 

Total price was high but worth it. Not high because brewing academy is expensive but I asked for way too many things. 

You can easily get the price from their site. I opted for them building it. This adds a cost as well. 

I hope to get a 576+ in the future and may be an XLD. But for sure, I will know use them for any mods on my Atari’s. 

As far as review, I will. The video does provide a good overview of the options and the functionality. 

8 hours ago, Blues76 said:

I will post the options soon. 

Total price was high but worth it. Not high because brewing academy is expensive but I asked for way too many things. 

You can easily get the price from their site. I opted for them building it. This adds a cost as well. 

I hope to get a 576+ in the future and may be an XLD. But for sure, I will know use them for any mods on my Atari’s. 

As far as review, I will. The video does provide a good overview of the options and the functionality. 

Well, perhaps not easily... IMO kind of like buying a car at the parts department.  Was just looking for a quick ballpark figure, but if you're not comfortable posting the price, no problem.  Just glancing at the build/price sheet, looks like you could get to $1000 with an assembled unit, and maybe  a bit higher with some options included.  Not saying it is not worth it, but it looks fairly expensive. 

Hey Blues76, all jokes about lying to the wife aside, we all love a treat and some would say that this year EVERYONE should have a treat, can't always be that way but if you can I say make it a good one that will last..

I don't know the price of these machines but if YOU are happy then its the right price..

Have fun with it and a happy new year to you and yours..

Paul..

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Well, perhaps not easily... IMO kind of like buying a car at the parts department.  Was just looking for a quick ballpark figure, but if you're not comfortable posting the price, no problem.  Just glancing at the build/price sheet, looks like you could get to $1000 with an assembled unit, and maybe  a bit higher with some options included.  Not saying it is not worth it, but it looks fairly expensive. 

I did not meant not give you the price — It was over 1k but I was not in front of the computer to give you the price and the parts. I apologize if I came out this way. 

I will get that to you. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Hey Blues76, all jokes about lying to the wife aside, we all love a treat and some would say that this year EVERYONE should have a treat, can't always be that way but if you can I say make it a good one that will last..

I don't know the price of these machines but if YOU are happy then its the right price..

Have fun with it and a happy new year to you and yours..

Paul..

Thank you.

At the rate that stock Atari systems are increasing in price on eBay, the price for a 1088XEL will eventually seem cheap by comparison, especially when factoring in the added bits (U1MB, UAV, SIO2PC, IDE/CF, PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports). By the time you outfitted a stock A8 with all these bells and whistles the difference in cost will seem trivial. And unlike a stock A8, there already is a place for everything to just plug-in no fuss, no muss, and no drilling holes for standoffs or ports.

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Thanks, Blues76.  Close enough -- my "eyeball" look at the build sheet seems reasonable then.

I paid 0x683 (in hex) us dollars.

I think is worth it, as @mytek mentions. I may have gone overboard. At some point, I wanted a COVOX in it and more stuff but @MacRorie always kept me in check, as I was going crazy with the options. I think @MacRorie is super cool. With the amount of emails I sent him, I would have blocked myself. He is a great person.

I'm also happy, as I think, since I'm able, this may support some of the people doing add-ons. I believe that some royalties may go to @mytek

I do plan getting another XEL later but my eyes are in the 576+ that @mytek is working on and maybe XLD. I do think I will get less options.

Something I really wanted was the Rapidus (would have been extra) but @MacRorie mentions in the video why this was not possible, at least at this time. I think I will send him one of my Atari to mod with Rapidus at some point.

One thing that would be nice is to have Sophia 2 on it. I don't know if it will be easy to swap, put on a new build, or send my XEL back to @MacRorie

In short, I received

The custom Blue case with the Atari logo (which I really wanted it... I was thinking one with my initials but I never asked if it was possible since I figured it would delayed my order but maybe next time).

Cartridge port, dual CF, midi, soundblaster, u1mb, sophia B and Sophia C, all the ports (joystick, midi), and other stuff.

Here are the options:

Blue Main Board - 1088XEL Atari LSI (1088XEL Bundle)

ANTIC, PIA, GTIA, & 2x POKEY

Daughterboards (UAV/U1M/SIO2PC) Daughterboards: UAV [stock video], Ultimate 1MB

[BIOS/RAM], SIO2PC [RespeQt])

Sophia rev. C (1280) Sophia rec. C (1280) DVI board

XEL-CF3 F-chip (KIT-R) Compact Flash HDD ver. 3 (KIT with F-series chips)

XEL CF-][/3 Assembly

Assembly of XEL CF-][/3 (Dual or Solo)

Realan H80-Black Realan H80 gaming Mini ITX computer case
Aluminum PC case Chassis for without power supply (but he sent me a power supply)

Realan Custom Top Realan H60/H80 Custom Lid for case Customer design

Realan Custom Backplane

Custom backplane design/color for H60/H80 Realan cases (Customer Design)

Realan H80 Cart Tunnel 3d Printed cartridge tunnel for Realan H80

Joystick Kit-1088XEL 6" joystick cables (2) for internal 1088XEL KIT

Joystick Cable Assembly

Fee to Assemble, Test, & Install (if applicable) 1088XEL internal joystick cables

Mouse Select-KIT Mouse Select DIY Kit for 1088XEL

Mouse Select

Assembly

Assembly fee for Mouse Select

Lid Status Indicator (KIT)

Status indicator PCB for Case lid DIY KIT

Lid Status Kit Assembly Assembly & Testing of XEL lid status indicator

MultiSIO KIT MultiSIO board (internal) KIT

MultiSIO Assembly Fee Assembly Fee for MultiSIO

Joystick Extension cables

DB9 Joystick extension cables (pair)

MIDI-XEL MIDI Interface for XEL (could be adapted for standard a8)

MIDI-DIN INTFC INterface for a MIDI Device and the MIDI-XEL

MIDI Assembly Fee Fee to seemble & test any MIDI interface

VBXE VBXE (internal RGB board) for Atari XE

Assembly Fee-1088XEL Assemble, flash, test, & burn-in any BOM option for the 1088XEL

Board Level Components & p/s on

Full BOM NOT inlcuding: daughter boards & Atari LSI chips

SoundBlaster

Shipping, 1088XEL, +Case, US

Domestic USPS Shipping for 1088XEL in case

web-250+ Free US Domestic Shipping for orders over $250.00 -100.00%

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

I'm also happy, as I think, since I'm able, this may support some of the people doing add-ons. I believe that some royalties may go to @mytek

Not true. I have never requested a cut of the proceeds, and anyone is free to use my designs without charge.

Of course this also means I'm not obligated to fix or render assistance on the products being sold based on my designs. That is the responsibility of the manufacturer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mytek said:

Not true. I have never requested a cut of the proceeds, and anyone is free to use my designs without charge.

Of course this also means I'm not obligated to fix or render assistance on the products being sold based on my designs. That is the responsibility of the manufacturer.

I'm sorry for the incorrect assumption.

This is something very nice of you.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

"I paid 0x683 (in hex) us dollars."

Oh my!  I built 4 XEL (two for me and 2 for others) for under that amount with some variations, but not many.  The hours spent building the XELs was the true value for me.  Either way, the enjoyment of having a well designed, built, and awesome device is now yours Sir!  Congratulations!