IGNORED

Seems like I am the minority regarding the controller...

eightbit

But I *love* the fact that the controller included with the S/X still takes AA batteries. Why? Well because it adds a lot of life to the controller. Since they take AA batteries they can potentially last forever (provided they do not get damaged) as the batteries are replaceable. The internal rechargeable batteries in the Playstation controllers may be replaceable by dismantling the thing when they die down the road and sourcing a compatible battery, but what a pain in the ass. And you know one day those batteries will be hard to source as well.

The fact that these Xbox controllers take standard easily replaceable batteries is a real selling point to me. But it seems it is not to so many others. I see reviews that are like "oh, it still takes batteries" and so on. I see it as forward thinking. These controllers are going to be ok for decades due to the use of removable and replaceable batteries....just like my Gamecube Wavebird. 

And, if you are dead set on a rechargeable function they sell packs for that as well. I say it is a win all around. I suspect in the future for this reason alone finding functioning Xbox controllers will be a whole lot easier than Sony's stuff. 

• Like 4

Totally agree as I still use a Xbox360 controller for my PC, two standard AA batteries are great high capacity and easily replicable. Admittedly though we have a area in the Condo parking to dispose of all batteries for proper recycling, you see where this is going, I check it regularly bringing my battery checker and so I have a lifetime supply pretty much of all the most common batteries and YES I some of the time I even find rechargeable! I've not bought batteries for years. ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I appreciate the ability to use regular or rechargeable AA batteries. When my PS3 controllers die I have to buy replacement batteries and hope they are actually high quality and don't meltdown in the controller. Then there is the DualShock4 and its awful battery life. I'm glad Microsoft is sticking to this consumer friendly approach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspect the batteries in the controller will last a very long time (as did previous controllers I have owned for the 360 and my daughter's Xbox One). Seemed like I never had to change those batteries. But, rather easily pop out and swap batteries than to have something that cannot be removed (easily) at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Big fan of the two AA's here.

Not looking forward to replacing the L-ion batteries in any of my other controllers in the years ahead  (PS3/4, Wii U, Switch).  Though my PS3 controllers seem to be going strong still after 15 years, so maybe will only have to be done 1-3 times a lifetime?  Still....AA's much better IMO. 

I'll probably just use 3rd party controllers for these systems (Afterglow) that take AA's once the OEM L-ions die. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

FYI Microsoft made a slight change to the battery pack cover on the new XBOX One X controllers and a rechargeable battery pack for the older X Box One S controller will NOT quite fit. Or more precisely, the battery pack does not stay attached to the controller. In a pinch, I guess you could use some duct tape to hold the battery pack in the controller...

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer AA rechargeable batteries. Just a few seconds of downtime switching batteries vs putting the controller on a charger or playing with the cable attached. I use a ps4 controller with my ps mini and it seems like the controller is always low or dead (it's not, works fine).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 9:18 PM, Hyper_Eye said:

I appreciate the ability to use regular or rechargeable AA batteries. When my PS3 controllers die I have to buy replacement batteries and hope they are actually high quality and don't meltdown in the controller. Then there is the DualShock4 and its awful battery life. I'm glad Microsoft is sticking to this consumer friendly approach.

I never thought about it that way, but you are completely right. The choice to use batteries OR a separate charge pack ensures that the controllers aren't relegated to wired existences 20 years from now, when charge packs are hard to find (or no longer functioning).

• Like 1