IGNORED

Possible to whiten 5200 Trackball ? Worthwhile?

OldSchoolRetroGamer

Is the ball in these typically that yellowish color when new? After seeing images in some recent topics I decided to dig mine out of storage, forgot what great condition mine was in and about the only thing I have that also still has the clear plastic on the aluminum strip (MUST RESIST REMOVING ?) I really need to try this accessory more as it seems to be in excellent shape however, I noticed like many pictured the ball seems discolored yellowish, looking up images online it seems it WAS originally white? If it should be white might look into brightening or SHOULD I BOTHER? Is it more trouble than it is worth? I only lightly tested it upon receiving the 5200 / games etc in a lot years ago. I should do more testing and also maybe give it some maintenance if required. ANY GOOD TUTORIALS or videos on that? Also, I may have posted similar at one time but my memory is not getting any better ? Still, thanks in advance for any / all replies.....IF anyone or a mod notices I am repeating this post just merge it or point me in the direction of original post.

CE89C44E-8D2F-4F07-AFC0-6A3C3719B648.thumb.jpeg.8582893a66664ceee34e42c3ec5300dd.jpeg

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

I don't think they were ever pure white. I've had mine for well over 20 years and it's always been the same cream color. It's not made of plastic, so I doubt very much that the ball has faded.  I wouldn't go by marketing pictures, because just like with food, marketing uses fakes/mock-ups to create perfect looking pictures.

• Like 2

I believe the trackball is a standard billiards / pool cue ball.  You can get a new cue ball or try to whiten it as per some Google searches:

https://supremebilliards.com/why-do-pool-balls-turn-yellow-and-how-to-clean-them/

https://10sorts.com/faq/how-to-clean-a-yellow-cue-ball/

Edited by rayik
messed up formatting
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

I may be late to the party, but if nothing else, if Atari used a black ball instead of the bleach ochre-hued one it'd have looked more stylish for sure...

trakball4.thumb.jpg.232513134772be4bfbb7f33205aa8450.jpg

So, yup, it is true. I had read the same thing in that they used a cue ball and that piqued my interest. 

I did put back the original cue ball after putting the 8-ball back in my corner pocket, but for a thrill I did do a photo-op after cleaning the circuit board and rollers:

trakball2.thumb.jpg.16f25246e5fec71c383071c20d9919fa.jpg

Edited by CommodoreDecker
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 7:35 PM, fiddlepaddle said:

I also remember reading that it is a standard cue ball; if so, you may have many color options.

BBBSFELS-002_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.d33b9b02ccd6e94fc133b21b7fb3727d.jpg

I'll admit, #7 looks rather fetching...  Amusingly, these colors seem consistent from numerous sites/brands, so there's an industry standard and reason for these hues. If nothing else, it's a great conversation builder. Just not for when dating people. I know from experience... :(

You can also get a parts/derelict 2600-compatible CX80 trak-ball, it is solid black but if the CX80 circuitry still works then I recommend against it, as the all-black design I believe was intentional to match up with the 2600 Vader, and the XL series of computers in which were being sold at that time.

• Like 1