IGNORED

Boulder Dash Deluxe - (by BBG) - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

Boulder Dash was a great game back in the day, and one of the most enduring franchises.
Now, there is a gorgeous looking modern update released on the new VCS, as exclusive.

The developer web-site is here: https://www.boulder-dash.com/
It's surely one of the big name titles we all wanted to see on the new VCS console.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

although i'm being nitpicky and technically it's true that this game is on the VCS (through Steam), it's disingenuous to say 'released for the new VCS'. By that logic, any Steam title would be 'released for the new VCS'.

just my two cents (adjusted for inflation).

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok so i figured I would just buy them all for the start and to say thanks to all the indie devs who made a decent launch library happen. I bought everything except this one so far. The game just looks awful to me and $15 tested even my willingness to buy. 

Someone tell me this game isnt as bad as I think...

Yeah, I had a look at this one when it came out on other platforms, and the updated graphics just don't do it for me.

They could have at least tried to re-create the look of Rockford from the covers of the original games. Instead it just looks really generic.  In an age where pixel art is now chic, they really missed a trick by not going down that route.

Ah well, the original levels are in there, so there's something at least.

6 hours ago, digdugnate said:

although i'm being nitpicky and technically it's true that this game is on the VCS (through Steam), it's disingenuous to say 'released for the new VCS'. By that logic, any Steam title would be 'released for the new VCS'.

And I'm sure justclaws will eventually get around to all of them.

• Haha 4

Boulder Dash Deluxe is right now only available on Atari VCS. It is not available on Steam or any other platforms yet. These platforms will follow soon. You could choose between modern Rockford character and the classic Rockford character. The original caves are integrated in the the Classic World. Also Peter Liepa (the creator of the first Boulder Dash version) created one new world with 20 great levels. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, BBG Entertainment said:

Boulder Dash Deluxe is right now only available on Atari VCS. It is not available on Steam or any other platforms yet. These platforms will follow soon. You could choose between modern Rockford character and the classic Rockford character. The original caves are integrated in the the Classic World. Also Peter Liepa (the creator of the first Boulder Dash version) created one new world with 20 great levels. 

So it's not this?

On 1/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, BBG Entertainment said:

I bought Boulder Dash Deluxe today and played it for awhile in the VCS.

It is alot of fun and a great modern version of the old classic, I really like it!

I have another question though: BBG Entertainment is a successor of BBG (BIALKE - BERENDSEN - GLISZCZYNSKI) Software back in the 80s? If so, I bought / played alot of your Sharp MZ700/800 Games like Wooky, Nakamoto, PucMan etc... 35 years ago, they were all alot of fun too!

Best regards,

Ekki 

Edited by Cine4Home
  • Like 2

On 1/5/2021 at 3:29 AM, Cine4Home said:

I bought Boulder Dash Deluxe today and played it for awhile in the VCS.

It is alot of fun and a great modern version of the old classic, I really like it!

I have another question though: BBG Entertainment is a successor of BBG (BIALKE - BERENDSEN - GLISZCZYNSKI) Software back in the 80s? If so, I bought / played alot of your Sharp MZ700/800 Games like Wooky, Nakamoto, PucMan etc... 35 years ago, they were all alot of fun too!

Best regards,

Ekki 

Hi Ekki, great that you like our new Boulder Dash Deluxe. And yes you are right. I am on of the old "BBG (BIALKE - BERENDSEN - GLISZCZYNSKI)" team. My other two classmates (BIALKE and GLISZCZYNSKI) are not involved in this new BBG company. When we have been young we developed MOTY, WOOKY; NAKAMOTO,.... for SHARP MZ. By the way, do you know why we called one of our games NAKAMOTO? We became friend with SHINICHI NAKAMOTO, who worked for HUDSON SOFT and who created BOMBERMAN. He inspired us and helped us a lot, therefore  we called our game NAKAMOTO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/10/2021 at 8:46 AM, BBG Entertainment said:

Hi Ekki, great that you like our new Boulder Dash Deluxe. And yes you are right. I am on of the old "BBG (BIALKE - BERENDSEN - GLISZCZYNSKI)" team. My other two classmates (BIALKE and GLISZCZYNSKI) are not involved in this new BBG company. When we have been young we developed MOTY, WOOKY; NAKAMOTO,.... for SHARP MZ. By the way, do you know why we called one of our games NAKAMOTO? We became friend with SHINICHI NAKAMOTO, who worked for HUDSON SOFT and who created BOMBERMAN. He inspired us and helped us a lot, therefore  we called our game NAKAMOTO.

Thanks for that interesting anecdote!
BTW: As I never throw anything good away, I still have all your games as well as an MZ731 and an MZ821 (see picture attached). Wooky was my favorite. 
All these were directly bought from you in the 80s, still "first owner". Actually, I even have more ;-) 

BBG_Games.jpg

Edited by Cine4Home
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 8:05 PM, Cine4Home said:

Thanks for that interesting anecdote!
BTW: As I never throw anything good away, I still have all your games as well as an MZ731 and an MZ821 (see picture attached). Wooky was my favorite. 
All these were directly bought from you in the 80s, still "first owner". Actually, I even have more ;-) 

BBG_Games.jpg

wow. Great to see our old games. MOTY was my favorite game. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 5:32 PM, Mockduck said:

Here's my review of Boulder Dash - Deluxe, in which I loved the classic levels in particular: 

https://youtu.be/fO9al2Gapvo

Hi, thanks for your great video and review of our new Boulder Dash Deluxe. Thanks for the hint with the bonuses/powerups. We already uploaded a new version in with we reduced the number of bonuses/powerups  (Glass, Freeze, X2Stars and dynamites) to only one.  So now the player has just one from each. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...