IGNORED

Any PS5 owners here yet?

Punisher5.0

4 hours ago, zzip said:

I had a blast with PS4 even in the early days when it didn't have much content.

Something feels off with PS5 though.  It's nice that it has backwards compatibility and mine has a hard drive filled with PS4 games, and some have enhanced graphics..     but I think that's the problem.  The PS5 just feels like a glorified PS4 at this point, I haven't seen enough that truly feels next gen.

I have the opposite view. PS3 to PS4 was a small bump. Not much really changed between them. With the PS5 we get the option of 120fps, Ray tracing, crazy fast storage and 4k bluray player. Those are all impossible on PS4.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:35 PM, SegaSnatcher said:

Ratchet and Clank: Drift Apart is amazing, whenever you get a PS5 I definitely highly recommend you check it out.    

That's the one game that has me wanting to get one, now.   Demon's Souls, to a lesser extent, but R&C is making it hard to not buy one.  I think I'll cave.  ?

24 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I have the opposite view. PS3 to PS4 was a small bump. Not much really changed between them. With the PS5 we get the option of 120fps, Ray tracing, crazy fast storage and 4k bluray player. Those are all impossible on PS4.

I never had a PS3 so I don't have that to compare to.

But for the rest, haven't seen much make use of them.   So far the SSD hasn't been as fast as they promised-  many PS5 games take much longer to load than the few seconds they talked about.   I don't buy bluerays anymore.   4K & 120FPS - I want to see a new generation of gameplay, not the same old gameplay just in higher res and higher FPS/

I've had my PS5 for about a month now.  I was nearing the end of Cyberpunk 2077 when I received it, so I was able to play the final missions of the game and directly compare.  For starters, the SSD -is- drastically faster.  I keep being taken by surprise when I find myself looking away during loading screens, but the game is ready... waiting for me!  CP2077 is playable on a base PS4 but really pops and moves so much more fluidly on the PS5 (as expected of course).

However, I do see @zzip's point in that the PS5 can feel more like a PS4 2.0 than some breathtaking, toe-curling new experience.  To that I would argue: unfortunately, none of us are ever going to see that kind of leap in technology on any console or game system ever again.  A "new generation of gameplay" sounds nice, but doesn't really mean much.  Smaller increments of fps and resolution are all we can expect, at least until some new type of viewing device (not a flat-screen panel) becomes the norm.

Games I've played (or am playing) so far:

Maneater - didn't know anything about this game and simply couldn't put it down once I started!

Dirt 5 - needed an excellent racing game and it doesn't disappoint.  My stepson and I are having a blast with this.

MK11 Ultimate - not the world's biggest MK fan but I needed a fighter too and MK11 looks amazing

CoD Black Ops Cold War - been years since I've played a CoD.  Campaign is solid and looks great.  Don't touch online though.

Sackboy - currently about 3/4 of the way through.  Very fun!

Control Ultimate Edition - about 3/4 of the way through as well, sometimes fun, sometimes frustrating but happy I got it

Next I'll be tackling Ratchet & Clank, RE8 and AC Valhalla.  Eager to check out the new Guilty Gear too, even though I'm not very good at it.  Dem grafix tho....  wow.  The DualSense controllers feel really comfortable to me and the 4K BD player is nice to have.  PS5 is a wonderful system and I love how quiet it is!

3 hours ago, zzip said:

I never had a PS3 so I don't have that to compare to.

But for the rest, haven't seen much make use of them.   So far the SSD hasn't been as fast as they promised-  many PS5 games take much longer to load than the few seconds they talked about.   I don't buy bluerays anymore.   4K & 120FPS - I want to see a new generation of gameplay, not the same old gameplay just in higher res and higher FPS/

Well the SSD usage is really up to the developers. MK11 for example doesn't even have load times. Rift Apart heavily takes advantage of the SSD. That game wouldn't even be close to possible on last gen hardware.

I like your idea of wanting a new generation of gameplay. The only thing I can think of right now would be the adaptive triggers. Not earth shattering but it is neat.

3 hours ago, glazball said:

However, I do see @zzip's point in that the PS5 can feel more like a PS4 2.0 than some breathtaking, toe-curling new experience.  To that I would argue: unfortunately, none of us are ever going to see that kind of leap in technology on any console or game system ever again.  A "new generation of gameplay" sounds nice, but doesn't really mean much.  Smaller increments of fps and resolution are all we can expect, at least until some new type of viewing device (not a flat-screen panel) becomes the norm.

The "pitch" for the PS5 was that the biggest bottleneck for game design was loading times from traditional hard drive, having a super-fast SSD would allow things that are not currently possible.   They talked about how they could load an entirely new set of 3D assets from the fast SSD in the time it takes to turn your character around.   The said PS5 would allow types of games we haven't seen.

So they promised new experiences and not just souped-up versions of old ones

That said,  I have maybe 5 or so true PS5 games at this point,  some of them like Jedi Fallen Order and No Man's Sky are upgrades of PS4 games, so of course they aren't going to do anything new.   But the only one that truly feels like a new experience is Astro's Play Room.  Demon Souls is nice, but being an upgraded PS3 game, it's not going to be an Earth-shattering gameplay experience

As for the rest,  some native PS4 games will run at or near 4K on the console or have improved frame rates.   And while games will look sharper in 4K at first,  when you are in the middle of the game, you won't really notice the difference between 4K and 1080p so much. 

It does enhance some VR games, and I'm grateful for that because you will notice the resolution boost there much more than on a TV screen.

I do think amazing new PS5 games will come,  but right now the pickings are slim, and so many games on the horizon will still be held back with PS4 versions.

53 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Well the SSD usage is really up to the developers. MK11 for example doesn't even have load times. Rift Apart heavily takes advantage of the SSD. That game wouldn't even be close to possible on last gen hardware

Yes, and a lot of the PS5 games are still opting for traditional loading sequences, flashing logos, splash videos, etc instead of going for the load times in seconds that they promised this thing could do.

56 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I like your idea of wanting a new generation of gameplay. The only thing I can think of right now would be the adaptive triggers. Not earth shattering but it is neat.

The adaptive triggers work and haptics work great in Astro's Playroom,  but unfortunately I haven't seen other games implement these features as well.   No Man's Sky uses the adaptive triggers, but it's more annoying than useful the way they do it.

Nice deal!  For those who don't have Apple TV it's worth checking out. I had it for free when I got my latest iPhone, and am now a paying subscriber. All the shows are in 4K HDR and look awesome. Some that I recommend:

Mythic Quest - series about a gaming company, 2 seasons so far and they did a fun social-distancing COVID episode between the 2 seasons.

Tiny World - itty bitty nature documentary, narrated by Paul Rudd. 2 seasons so far.

Earth at Night - nighttime nature documentary, uses new cameras that make night as clear as day. 2 seasons so far.

Snoopy in Space - they even visit Houston! Snoopy's been involved with NASA since the late 1950s, and I love my Snoopy in Space tie (seen in reply 354)!

Schmigadoon! - musical spoof, the series just started and has been hilarious so far

And I'm looking forward to Foundation, based on Isaac Asimov's series:

• Like 1

I gotta say, Returnal is really ticking me off.

I'm a HUGE Housemarque fan, I think I have played everyone single one of their games so I was excited to try out their first big budget AAA game.

The game is as beautiful looking and smooth playing as I expect from them, but the game loop is really tedious. I'm still on the first part and FINALLY got to the very first boss after about, I think 17 deaths. At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of rooms shuffled in a deck, with a few random elements thrown in. But this randomness really hurts now that I've gotten to the first boss.  I just want to get back to it and play it and learn how to beat it.  But now I still need to play the same rooms over and over again to get there, and you get impatient and rush it and next thing you know you die. Or then you play carefully but still need to look around and try to find some health pickups or mods or the right weapons to give you the best chance.  I at least completed the side mission to get the item that makes things easier, but it is still, I hate to say it, boring. And the boss just sucks.  I hate bosses with multiple health bars that just stand there shoot a zillion projectiles. I know they are known for bullet hell games, but still, not a good first impression. 

The whole mystery around the story is not enough to make me want to keep playing.

Oh well.....there is always Demon's Souls......nobody can beat the way From Software perfected the formula.

27 minutes ago, Mik's Arcade said:

I gotta say, Returnal is really ticking me off.

I'm a HUGE Housemarque fan, I think I have played everyone single one of their games so I was excited to try out their first big budget AAA game.

The game is as beautiful looking and smooth playing as I expect from them, but the game loop is really tedious. I'm still on the first part and FINALLY got to the very first boss after about, I think 17 deaths. At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of rooms shuffled in a deck, with a few random elements thrown in. But this randomness really hurts now that I've gotten to the first boss.  I just want to get back to it and play it and learn how to beat it. 

They make it a "rogue like?"  Sounds like that's what you're describing.  I'm not much of a fan of those, personally 

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

They make it a "rogue like?"  Sounds like that's what you're describing.  I'm not much of a fan of those, personally 

yeah, it has rogue like elements. 

The thing people whine most about is that you can't save the game.   I'm only the first 'level', so to speak, but I don't see this as a problem.  I've never had a session last so long I wanted a break. The games are fast paced and I don't think I've ever played more than an hour without dying. There are some very limited permanent upgrades you get to keep, but you always start over with a standard weapon and nothing else.  I guess people have to put themselves in a room with no enemies and then put the PS5 in sleep mode to techincally 'suspend' their game.

Maybe the other levels will take much longer to explore but I personally don't see that as a problem.  I'm more troubled by boredom.  The combat is really shallow so asking you to do the same thing over and over and over is a bit much with too little of a reward.

i've decide that Returnal is just a boring game. The game loop is not interesting enough to keep me going.  After about 15 deaths I got to the first boss and of course died.

Problem is, the whole dungeon reshuffles the rooms so you have to battle your way back to the boss again, which most of the time is always many rooms away. No shortcuts. So, you probably will die again at some point trying to get there again. You always have the random chance to enter a room and get locked into a sub-boss fight, or have a bunch of winged enemies spawn right on top of you for a cheap death. Or you get to the boss with a crappy weapon or 50% health.  The same rooms over and over and over again, with no real way to upgrade yourself to have a better chance.

So now, I've been to boss maybe 6 or 7 times. It's just bullet hell boss, with THREE forms, so one or two mistakes end the whole run. 

And then you have to start all over from scratch again

No thanks.

Deleted it.  Maybe I will reinstall it if they ever patch in some fun.

I'm all for challenging games.  But this one is poorly executed with not enough rewards to justify making you do the same thing over and over

Edited by Mik's Arcade

I've been playing on an 11-year old 50" Samsung plasma, and I am elated that we are finally getting a new 65" LG OLED delivered tomorrow.

4K and HDR are all going to be basically new to me.  Can't wait to finally see what this bad boy can do.  I plan to stop by Best Buy tonight and find a good 4K Blu-ray, something with a big "wow" factor.  So excited!!

D4C0B1B5-1406-4EA8-A332-CE204B5A2831.jpeg

Edited by glazball
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine. Very nice machine, and with the FF VII upgrade, Demon's Souls, and a free upgrade for Disco Elysium - which I'd only played an hour of - I'm more than happy. Disco Elysium in particular had massive load times, really impacted the flow of the game, so can't wait to start that again.

Yes, it's a glorified PS4 at this point, but I can't overstate how much of a difference the load times make.

Street Fighter V was a no-go for me in multiplayer because I spent more time staring at load screens that playing, but it's almost instant running from PS5.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, now a slight update/timeline. *ahem*:

August 19th - I receive my PS5 console, manufactured in June of 2021.  The same day Quake gets remastered for its 25th Anniversary!

September 7th - Not only does the SSD of choice (Mark Cerny Approved!) drop in price to where I can afford it, with sales taxes, it's actually in stock, direct from the manufacturer!  I immediately order the drive.

September 12th @ 3AM EDT - Said drive drops $20 in price in-between order and delivery.  Not Good.

September 14th - I learn, late-ish, that the required firmware update that enables the M.2 slot will officially release to the public the next day!  Now, I choose to let that lost $20 slide, as the news alone is worth it.

September 15th - The SSD arrives.  The same day the slot officially gets enabled!  I immediately prepare a thumbdrive with the latest firmware, unplug the console, install the drive, and finally reboot the console in Service mode to apply the update, so drive detection, formatting and usage will be the most painless possible. (Yes, it can be done! :D)

Now...  The pain of digital renovation... ?

Edited by JFD62780

10 hours ago, JFD62780 said:

Okay, now a slight update/timeline. *ahem*:

August 19th - I receive my PS5 console, manufactured in June of 2021.  The same day Quake gets remastered for its 25th Anniversary!

September 7th - Not only does the SSD of choice (Mark Cerny Approved!) drop in price to where I can afford it, with sales taxes, it's actually in stock, direct from the manufacturer!  I immediately order the drive.

September 12th @ 3AM EDT - Said drive drops $20 in price in-between order and delivery.  Not Good.

September 14th - I learn, late-ish, that the required firmware update that enables the M.2 slot will officially release to the public the next day!  Now, I choose to let that lost $20 slide, as the news alone is worth it.

September 15th - The SSD arrives.  The same day the slot officially gets enabled!  I immediately prepare a thumbdrive with the latest firmware, unplug the console, install the drive, and finally reboot the console in Service mode to apply the update, so drive detection, formatting and usage will be the most painless possible. (Yes, it can be done! :D)

Now...  The pain of digital renovation... ?

Nice timing!   But even with the price drop those drives cost nearly as much as the console!   I'm going to wait hoping for further price reductions

1 hour ago, JFD62780 said:

Actually, WD's list price is actually more than the console, at $550!  I'm just glad they let me save $170 for a so-called promo! o.o

Ouch!   2GB Gen3 NVME drives go between $200-300 and they were even less prior to the pandemic.   I think these fast Gen4's are pricey because they are new, and the price should drop over time.   So I can wait.   I don't have a lot of PS5-only games yet, so there is still lots of space on my internal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 11:58 PM, Lord Helmet said:

Secured one from my local Best Buy.Picking it up this weekend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just scored one from Best Buy, it took a week to come in but, grabbed mine on Friday(after almost 6 months trying to get one FOR RETAIL). I wanted to play Last Of US 2 on it (I had a PS4 but, not a pro) and I have a 4K HDR tv so I wanted to get the best out of it... I picked up LOU2 4-5 months ago ($29.99 on sale) and it's still sealed. 

I am playing with Astro's playhouse and it's pretty great for a built in game... I think I will finish that before play LOU2 besides the games I am trying to finish on my Series X (that one was easy to get)

As for above....does anyone here actually have a 8K tv yet ??

Edited by TheCoolDave