IGNORED

Any PS5 owners here yet?

Punisher5.0

There are 8K LCD tvs out there, but as of now PS5 can only output images at 8K, not video.  At least that's my understanding.  I think we'll have to wait until the PS6 to see real 8K for AAA games.  That video is interesting though.  It shows the PS5 can render some games in native 8K if the polygon count is low enough, which can be downscaled to 4K for a sharper image.  Pretty cool!

12 minutes ago, glazball said:

I think we'll have to wait until the PS6 to see real 8K for AAA games. 

Haha we will see.   Resolutions increase faster then then processing power needed to drive them does.    Also there's slowing consumer acceptance.    4K doesn't offer that big of an improvement over 1080p in a living room setting unless the TV is pretty large.   8K even less so.

Got mine last night!!!!!!!!!

The opportunity was there. I took it with zero hesitation.

Still havent set it up yet...

Have no idea where to put it. It fits nowhere in my entertainment unit.

I got Returnal with it.....

Waiting for Tormented Souls and House of Ashes to arrive any day now.

GT7 has a clear release date now. I have a significant amount of games that qualify for upgrades. It was finally worth it to me.

• Like 1

No need to be that extreme.  You can just decrease the trigger vibration on each game as needed.

I would only suggest to leave the console set up horizontally instead of vertically, and of course put the circular stand under there.  (My friend has his horizontally but thought the stand was only for vertical orientation.)

Enjoy and happy gaming!!

Edited by glazball
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sn8k said:

GT7 has a clear release date now. I have a significant amount of games that qualify for upgrades. It was finally worth it to me.

Oh, GT7 still isn't out yet?  Good to know.  Now I don't feel so bad about not having been able to find a PS5 yet.  I'm looking for one specifically for GT7.  Odds are I will never buy any other games for it!  I'm an old school Atari gamer that buys the various PS models JUST for the GT series!

4 hours ago, nadir said:

Oh, GT7 still isn't out yet?  Good to know.  Now I don't feel so bad about not having been able to find a PS5 yet.  I'm looking for one specifically for GT7.  Odds are I will never buy any other games for it!  I'm an old school Atari gamer that buys the various PS models JUST for the GT series!

March 2022. Can't wait.

On 10/15/2021 at 2:44 PM, glazball said:

No need to be that extreme.  You can just decrease the trigger vibration on each game as needed.

I would only suggest to leave the console set up horizontally instead of vertically, and of course put the circular stand under there.  (My friend has his horizontally but thought the stand was only for vertical orientation.)

Enjoy and happy gaming!!

Ok, so now that I found a dedicated spot... it's hooked up... I have spent some hours with it...

I will say this about the controller....

It is honestly the absolute best controller I have ever used and or felt in my hands. I loved all the DualShocks. But this DualSense is on another f@#%!*g level. I thought people were exaggerating the shit out of it. 

I have never felt a logo splash on the screen before though my hands with such accuracy. Like how did I feel a logo? lol Then in game, walking around on different surfaces, it feels and sounds different every time you step on something new, metal, sand, leaves, etc.

And as cool and as awesome as these adaptive triggers are, I have never felt anything like this before..... I can tell you right now these things will not last.

In Resident Evil, popping off shots with your hand gun and having it feel like an actual trigger pull? INSANE. But that little mechanism that replicates that feeling by stopping the trigger, so you pull harder through the click to fire the shot?

It just feels like these will be done in a year. The vibration through the entire controller is a really  nice touch though. The whole thing doesnt just vibrate, its like timed through the whole thing to make you feel things moving left to right or up and down.

Crazy.  But now that I have used the triggers, I worry more. The effect is cool but it feels like the plastic gears will wear off. Until I have a 3rd dualsense to put through its paces. It will remain off in my 1 controller I currently have until I can verify otherwise. So far, I have found enough people to suggest it may be the case. I really dont see the triggers holding up through an entire years worth of COD fanaticism. Not even a month for the guys who put in 3-5 hours daily.

Thats a lot of forceful trigger pulling and what ever other trickery they can do with those things.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:07 PM, sn8k said:

It is honestly the absolute best controller I have ever used and or felt in my hands. I loved all the DualShocks. But this DualSense is on another f@#%!*g level. I thought people were exaggerating the shit out of it. 

Crazy.  But now that I have used the triggers, I worry more. The effect is cool but it feels like the plastic gears will wear off. Until I have a 3rd dualsense to put through its paces. It will remain off in my 1 controller I currently have until I can verify otherwise. So far, I have found enough people to suggest it may be the case. I really dont see the triggers holding up through an entire years worth of COD fanaticism. Not even a month for the guys who put in 3-5 hours daily.

Yeah, I'll be interested to see if it lasts.  Our current system the dualshock failed early on.  Just been gaming without it.  It's not the controllers, replacing them made no difference.  Like something in the console itself just lost the ability to send shock out.

On 10/18/2021 at 9:25 AM, zzip said:

Does anyone else's PS5 turn on at random times?

I've seen this happen quite a few times.   Nobody is pressing the controller or turning on the TV,  we will just hear the beep at random and it will turn on.

Now that you mention it, mine was on the other evening and I hadn't turned it on.  TV was on though.  Could it have something to do with HDMI-CEC?  (apologies if I got the spelling wrong).  It is on by default on my console, but I haven't dug deep and not sure how it all works.  I just like that when I press the PS button to start the PS5, it will turn my tv on as well.

20 minutes ago, glazball said:

Now that you mention it, mine was on the other evening and I hadn't turned it on.  TV was on though.  Could it have something to do with HDMI-CEC?  (apologies if I got the spelling wrong).  It is on by default on my console, but I haven't dug deep and not sure how it all works.  I just like that when I press the PS button to start the PS5, it will turn my tv on as well.

Yeah by default, turning on the PS5 will turn on your TV (if supported)

Also turning on your TV to the PS5 input will turn on the PS5 (I disabled this)

But in my case, the TV is off, and nobody was touching the controls when it happens.   I'm not sure if the PS5 was in rest more or fully powered off when it happened.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 10:25 AM, zzip said:

Does anyone else's PS5 turn on at random times?

I've seen this happen quite a few times.   Nobody is pressing the controller or turning on the TV,  we will just hear the beep at random and it will turn on.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:34 AM, glazball said:

On 10/19/2021 at 10:57 AM, zzip said:

Yeah by default, turning on the PS5 will turn on your TV (if supported)

Also turning on your TV to the PS5 input will turn on the PS5 (I disabled this)

But in my case, the TV is off, and nobody was touching the controls when it happens.   I'm not sure if the PS5 was in rest more or fully powered off when it happened.

Yes!  That drove me batty for a couple of weeks.  For me, the issue seems tied to the media remote.  So if you use the PS5 media remote, take the batteries out and see if that fixes it for ya.

Sony's official "fix" seems to focus around disabling the HDMI link, but that didn't fix it for me.  I came across a conversation (somewhere) where users were talking about an issue with the media remote randomly sending signals to power the system on if the batteries get slightly drained.  I took the batteries out to test, and no "random power on" for a week.  Put the batteries back in, randomly powered on 3 times in one day.   New batteries fixed it, of course, but I'm confident it'll start happening again once the new ones get drained a bit.

11 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Yes!  That drove me batty for a couple of weeks.  For me, the issue seems tied to the media remote.  So if you use the PS5 media remote, take the batteries out and see if that fixes it for ya.

Sony's official "fix" seems to focus around disabling the HDMI link, but that didn't fix it for me.  I came across a conversation (somewhere) where users were talking about an issue with the media remote randomly sending signals to power the system on if the batteries get slightly drained.  I took the batteries out to test, and no "random power on" for a week.  Put the batteries back in, randomly powered on 3 times in one day.   New batteries fixed it, of course, but I'm confident it'll start happening again once the new ones get drained a bit.

I don't have a PS5 media remote, so that isn't it

10 hours ago, zzip said:

I don't have a PS5 media remote, so that isn't it

Just throwing ideas out here, but... I wonder if it could be reacting to something similar?  Like another remote?  Bluetooth from something?  

Its a bummer for sure, and based on what I was seeing when researching to fix mine, Sony could have a wee bit of an issue on their hands with this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 10:28 PM, Razzie.P said:

Any particular reason why?

Just a strong personal preference.  I tried keeping my PS2 vertical but had a few discs permanently scratched because of it.  The slightest bump to the console or yank to the cord can pull it out of vertical orientation, which was enough to ruin PS2 games.  Hopefully PS5 is more stable, but it's just not worth the risk to me and I always keep it horizontal.

Edited by glazball

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2022 at 5:11 PM, Corby said:

I just hope Sony goes thru with the backwards compatibility with Ps1,2, and 3. 

Even if they did I wouldn't expect you to be able to just put a ps1/2/3 disc into a ps5 (Assuming you have one with a drive) and play it.  Pretty sure the backwards compatibility was intended for Sony themselves so it would be trivial for them to add ps1/2/3 games to the ps store to sell to you. (Granted I'd be fine with that too so long as they make an extensive list of games available, but I suspect that won't be the case for a variety of reasons)

• Like 2