IGNORED

Any PS5 owners here yet?

Punisher5.0

7 hours ago, TheGameCollector said:

I also already have Far Cry 6 as the only "PS4 with auto-upgrade to PS5" title because my wife wanted it for PS4.

There's quite a number of games now with free PS5 upgrades.  You may have more than you think!  And still others that don't upgrade to a proper PS5 game but still give resolution and frame rate improvements on PS5.

12 hours ago, zzip said:

There's quite a number of games now with free PS5 upgrades.  You may have more than you think!  And still others that don't upgrade to a proper PS5 game but still give resolution and frame rate improvements on PS5.

I guess I just mean the only one new enough to say that on the box. I got my tracking number so looks like this guy is probably good and honest. Oh and it turns out that the only reason he got it was that he got the email to buy it directly from Sony, so he decided why not?

Edited by TheGameCollector

I’m currently enjoying KOF15 on the PS5. I could have bought it for my Xbox Series X, but I don’t own many games on the PS5 (which is why I chose to buy KOF for it).

Maybe its just me, but it seems like this generation of consoles are not receiving the amount of games the prior generation did. I’m sure the Covid shutdown in 2020 played a major role in delaying a lot of projects. 

@ColecoGamer I've been enjoying KoF XV too.  Started Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend too (a friend let me borrow it) and wow, the graphics are eye-popping and it has really high production values.  It's noticeable in all the little things, like the details in Rocket Raccoon's teeth and facial fur.  Check out Gran Turismo 7 too.

I think the dams are starting to open and the deluge of crap PS5 games has begun.  Initially it was true that games were trickling out slowly, but now it's only a matter of time before the PS5 becomes the clearinghouse of half-assed, "boutique" indie games that now plague the PS4 and Switch.  I actually wish they'd keep all that crap away from the PS5 in physical format.

I was an avid supporter of LRG when they first started publishing PS4 games (though it was actually Vblank that started the idea with Retro City Rampage).  However, at the time I assumed that the reason for publishing a physical game was to preserve a quality game.  Now that all these other small-time publishers have popped up, it's obvious that quality barely matters.  I want a physical release to still mean something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, glazball said:

@ColecoGamer I've been enjoying KoF XV too.  Started Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend too (a friend let me borrow it) and wow, the graphics are eye-popping and it has really high production values.  It's noticeable in all the little things, like the details in Rocket Raccoon's teeth and facial fur.  Check out Gran Turismo 7 too.

I think the dams are starting to open and the deluge of crap PS5 games has begun.  Initially it was true that games were trickling out slowly, but now it's only a matter of time before the PS5 becomes the clearinghouse of half-assed, "boutique" indie games that now plague the PS4 and Switch.  I actually wish they'd keep all that crap away from the PS5 in physical format.

I was an avid supporter of LRG when they first started publishing PS4 games (though it was actually Vblank that started the idea with Retro City Rampage).  However, at the time I assumed that the reason for publishing a physical game was to preserve a quality game.  Now that all these other small-time publishers have popped up, it's obvious that quality barely matters.  I want a physical release to still mean something.

I was so looking forward to GT7 until it's DRM was revealed. Im not going to waste my time and money on a game that can only be played when Polyphony says I can. Automatic pass unfortunately.

• Like 1

Do you mean the always-online requirement that came up last week when people couldn’t connect?  I agree, it’s bullshit.  But it’s not an outlier and honestly I haven’t even noticed it yet (though I haven’t been playing only GT7 since it launched.)

I meant to mention this earlier wrt Guardians of the Galaxy.  You start the game as a teenager in your ever-so-80s bedroom.  It warmed my heart to see the ColecoVision on the floor!

r/ColecoVision - On the new Guardians of the Galaxy game, Star Lord has a ColecoVision as a child

Edited by glazball

Good new guys. The PS5 I bought for $590 shipped was brand new unopened as stated and is the disc version I was expecting. I found the PS5 version of Devil May Cry 5 for only $20 at a pawn shop. Oddworld: Soulstorm which I had bought digitally on PS4 last year downloaded to the PS5 in PS5 format due to being a cross-buy I guess. Now I'm downloading the free PS5 upgrade for the PS4 Far Cry 6 disc so my wife could continue her game (or just start over) with better graphics. I found used copies of Ratchet & Clank for $42 shipped and Demon's Souls for $45 shipped, each on ebay. I'm well into getting started at this rate.

• Like 3

On 3/21/2022 at 2:17 PM, glazball said:

@ColecoGamer Initially it was true that games were trickling out slowly, but now it's only a matter of time before the PS5 becomes the clearinghouse of half-assed, "boutique" indie games that now plague the PS4 and Switch.  I actually wish they'd keep all that crap away from the PS5 in physical format.

While in general I agree with you, I've been playing Hades on my PS5 and its amazing. Granted, SuperGiant Games isn't your average indie developer. Everything they make is top notch (especially Bastion which was PS3/XB360 era).

On 3/22/2022 at 7:40 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

Yeah the always have to be connected to the servers to play. Then the backlash on the credits is crazy. The metacritic user score is all the way down to 1.7 now.

Between that and the microtransactions theres no way I'm going to be playing that game. Sad since I was looking forward to it, but I'm not going to contribute to trends I see as really hurtful to consumers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Helmet said:

Between that and the microtransactions theres no way I'm going to be playing that game. Sad since I was looking forward to it, but I'm not going to contribute to trends I see as really hurtful to consumers.

Ouch, didn't know about the microtransactions.  In that case I'm out.  No PS5 for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Helmet said:

While in general I agree with you, I've been playing Hades on my PS5 and its amazing. Granted, SuperGiant Games isn't your average indie developer. Everything they make is top notch (especially Bastion which was PS3/XB360 era).

I didn't want to name games in my post, but perhaps I should have!  I didn't mean Hades, nor did I mean to disparage ALL indie games.  Hades has a higher level of polish and is worthy of a physical release imo.  I was thinking more along the lines of this, this and this.

• 1 month later...

I pretty much had to go with the disc version when I bought mine.  I have 130+ PS4 games on disc and wasn't planning on keeping my PS4.   But funny thing is, all of the PS5 games (except 1) that I've bought since, I've wanted to get digitally but the price locked me into the disc versions as well.  

For example -- Resident Evil Village was $20 on disc, but digital version hadn't dropped any at that time.  Tales of Arise was $30 disc, but still showing full price digital at the time.  I think it has been on sale a couple of times since.

On 5/1/2022 at 8:30 AM, Punisher5.0 said:

VRR support finally came out this week. Has anyone tried it yet? 

I spent some time this weekend testing it on my LG C1.  Unfortunately, none of the 15 games listed with VRR support on Sony's blog are still installed on my console.  Except Astro's Playroom - which I briefly tested, but still stayed around 60 fps.  Tiny Tina's Wonderlands has VRR support and that will be the next game (on that list) that I buy and can report back then.

I can say that Gran Turismo 7 does NOT support VRR.  You can toggle VRR on for all games, even those without support.  It worked for several games, but not GT7 which stays locked at 60fps.  I tried a few other non-supported games like KoF XV, Aragami 2 and NERF Legends and VRR works and stays around 59.33 or 59.34 fps.

It seems likely that VRR will get more and more support now, so I'm eager to try it on more games in the future.

As a side note, I'm noticing that there are still many games that don't have HDR support.  Guilty Gear Strive and KoF XV come to mind.  On games that I'm certain DO have HDR, I don't even see anything on the box to mention that fact.  By default, I believe HDR is set to "Always On" but you don't want to force HDR on games that don't have it, so it's a good idea to toggle the option to "When Supported."

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I've been playing Tina Tina's Wonderlands which has VRR support.  After doing some testing, the VRR does work but doesn't seem to have a BIG effect, at least not for this game.  Here's what I've observed:

In Performance Mode, fps will stay around 119 but can dip down into the 80s at certain times, usually when you open the inventory/map menu surprisingly.  The high frame rate sounds great, however it drops color from 12bit to 8bit.  Motion is slightly smoother, but not enough to keep it in Performance Mode.  Text is obviously blurrier and the graphics don't seem to "pop."

In Resolution Mode, frame rate will stay around 59 and doesn't ever seem to dip.  Color remains 12bit.

With VRR off, PM stays fixed at 120fps and RM at 60fps.

I generally prefer frame rate over resolution, but I keep it in Resolution Mode since this game stays around 60fps.  60fps is good enough for me - everything looks sharp and "like it should."  Wonderlands and Borderlands aren't exactly graphically intense games (since they are cel-shaded) but other big games may not be able to keep up the 60fps.  I'd still like to test VRR with something like Horizon.

The game itself has a few other gameplay related issues - sometimes my inventory icons disappear and I have to quit and restart the game.  And if you've played Borderlands, you know that half of the time in-game seems to be dicking around with inventory management.  Not a major issue, but damn there's so much loot and if you play with friend(s) online, you have to keep taking breaks to sort and sell all your shit.  I played all 3 Borderlands and I like the D&D setting of Wonderlands better.  All in all, my buddy and I have been having a great time playing it.

• 1 month later...

Well.. I guess I'm on board the PS5 bandwagon now. Got word earlier that Best Buy received stock. Checked their website, added one to my cart, and sure enough I was able to pay for it. It'll be available to pick up locally next week.

I'm curious, have any of you had any issues with PS4 titles? Demon's Souls and Returnal aside, I'll probably still be rocking a lot of PS4 stuff for the time being. I've heard the backwards compatibility is spot on, but I'd be interested to hear of any quirks if there are any. Debating whether to keep or sell my PS4, so any feedback is welcome.

• Like 2

Hopefully people with 1st hand experience chime in since as you know, I don't actually own a PS5. But I have read about or seen on YouTube a fair number of issues like a weird texture issue in the Shadow of the Colossus remake, which perhaps can be of some assistance in making a decision.

In that instance whenever you're standing still in the game world, the texture quality will suddenly drop significantly after a second or two. It looks sort of like YouTube when it decides your connection is struggling and auto-drops you from 1080p to 480p, so I assume it's a bug with the level of detail system. Then when your character starts moving the textures will correct themselves. Last I heard this was still broken over a year after the PS5 launch, although hopefully Sony finally took care of it at some point this year.

My impression is that it's not quite as robust and accurate as Microsoft's backwards compatibility is. Sony will even put up a warning screen apparently for games they've not tested and haven't yet deemed to be adequately problem-free, not as confident of the results as Microsoft is (thankfully they don't block untested games). But all that said, problematic games appear to be few and far between. It's just not quite the 100% perfect solution that the Series X seemingly enjoys.

So it might be a case where you perhaps may not want to rush selling your slim PS4. Perhaps give a brief test run on most of your PS4 favorites over the next few weeks like the two M2 ShotTriggers collections you just got before making a final decision. It would suck to sell and discover that something important to you in the PS4 library happens to be one of those outliers like SotC that happens to not work correctly on PS5.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Austin said:

I'm curious, have any of you had any issues with PS4 titles? Demon's Souls and Returnal aside, I'll probably still be rocking a lot of PS4 stuff for the time being. I've heard the backwards compatibility is spot on, but I'd be interested to hear of any quirks if there are any. Debating whether to keep or sell my PS4, so any feedback is welcome.

Well, I made the 'genius' decision to purchase Dead Nation for PS4 a couple months before I got to purchase my PS5, based on how much fun I had with the game on my PS3 when it worked.

Sure, it may be a Housemarque game, but not only are there no updates, even covering the Pro, but it hasn't been tested enough, to the point where it's said to crash on the first stage in single player.

Step your game up, HM! ?

Anyways, other than that blunder, the 5's more-or-less a supercharged Pro!  Even treats the original Zero Dawn almost like a PS5 Native with 4K60 on the latest patch! :D

Also, feel free to refer to post #70 in this thread (somewhere around page 3) for my full timeline, even mentioning the recommended SSD for console expansion.  With those Plus plans, you might potentially need it! XD

Edited by JFD62780

20 hours ago, Austin said:

Well.. I guess I'm on board the PS5 bandwagon now. Got word earlier that Best Buy received stock. Checked their website, added one to my cart, and sure enough I was able to pay for it. It'll be available to pick up locally next week.

Ive had a 100% success rate so far. Congrats on getting one!

• Like 1

I sold my ps5,also series x,was collecting dust.

After all i upgraded my pc to ddr5 and mobo-12900k and 3090ti.

And made someone happy with the consoles.

Both consoles are great,but my pc is just that much better,but you can't compare apples with oranges,my pc costs that much more offcourse.

Problem is much games comes to pc,so for me it wasn't that intresting to keep it.

Both consoles have nice games and great features.

Maybe in the future ill buy pro version for put them in my consoles collection.

I don't think many studios and publishers are going to wait for Sony to deal with its zzz...zz...z... production-problems on the PS5, and the number of exclusives for the PS5 since its "attempt" to debut are not impressive... not at the consoles current MSRP... plus the hurney-hurney markups by retailers and scalpers... if there's actually a difference between the two right now. Inflation will kill this thing before it even becomes a conversation-piece.

Studios/Publishers will continue to optimize games for the PS4, for them, that's where the market is; they're not going to make a lot of revenue making exclusives for a console most folks can't have, and consequently won't.

Studios/Publishers will also port titles to other consoles folks have... Xbox... Switch... and particularly PC... or vice-versa to PS4.  Microsoft's Game Pass is also an incredibly powerful inducement right now.

It also appears we're reaching that infinitesimal curve of diminishing returns with each new console release.

It's not a coincidence that most new titles can be played on a Xbox One/PS4.  So, we'll just stick with our PS4, we already have a WiiU.