IGNORED

Super Burnout

Mr.JT

After trying to get a hold of a copy of this for about 6 years I was finally successful just in time for Christmas... and, well, what a game?! Why isn’t there more noise about this game in general? Of course everything is subjective, but id go as far as saying this for me is probably the best game on the system... so fast and smooth... I’m a big PlayStation gran tourismo fan (and racing simulators in general), but right now I’d prefer to play superburnout, and in fact there seems to be more precision to getting the perfect lap on super burnout than even GT?!

• Like 3

Yes SuperBurnout is a very good Jaguar game, it's not perfect though, I personally do not like the way curves come at you and in general the physics of "curve steering", at the same time it does throw me back at Hang-On/Super Hang-On and aside those small remarks above it does an absolutely fantastic job.

"Best game on the system"? I am not sure, but it is a very good game indeed.

The be fair that kind of style (a la super-scaler) has been one of my favorites for ever, unfortunately at that time in history, it was just a little too late as the 3DO (for example) had already NFS in 1994, and the Jag with Super Burnout in 1995 kind of missed the train, note Ridge Racer on PS1 is a 1994 title and in the Arcades Dayton USA was a thing so yeah ... pity really.

Today though it's really good, and really showcase something the Jag could have had more of ... aka superscaler style games, cars, bikes, jets, people-on-jetpacks ... I'd dig it! 

Note: I still play OutRun on MegaDrive when I can (just because it is more accessible to me now than the Arcade bonus version in OG XBOX Outrun 2 or the Saturn version which is gorgeous btw).

13 hours ago, Mr.JT said:

After trying to get a hold of a copy of this for about 6 years I was finally successful just in time for Christmas... and, well, what a game?! Why isn’t there more noise about this game in general? Of course everything is subjective, but id go as far as saying this for me is probably the best game on the system... so fast and smooth... I’m a big PlayStation gran tourismo fan (and racing simulators in general), but right now I’d prefer to play superburnout, and in fact there seems to be more precision to getting the perfect lap on super burnout than even GT?!

It used scaled sprites instead of polygons, so press at the time saw it as too old-fashioned.

• Like 1

Yep, it was a good super hang on clone, but at this point super hang on, was 5 or more years old, so it was not cutting edge.

I would list in the top 10 for the system but, it is not a 64 bit looking game, so that held it back from it being s system.seller, reviews were kind, but similar to power drive Rally, it was a game you had seen done several times over the years, just this time Atari didnt screw it up and made a competent clone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's one of my favorite Jaguar games. When I got my Jaguar as a teen Super Burnout was one of my first games. My step-dad loved it and we played it pretty much every day that summer. I guess that would have been about 24 or 25 years ago! When I put the cart in now I have the high score on one track but he has all of the rest.

• Like 4

Yes super scalers are great, how many are there on the Jaguar?

I can think of at least 6:

1. Super Burnout

2. Atari Karts

3. Val d'Isère Skiing and Snowboarding

4. Wormhole 2000

5. Saucer Wars

6. Blue Lightning (I think it's a super scaler, but I haven't played it since it's a CD game)

PS. I don't count Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, and Alien vs. Predator, as they have a 3D environment for the maze walls.

Would have been really nice of SEGA made good on the settlement towards Atari and ported some of their super scalers as well. (Can't the current owners of the Atari brand enforce what is left of SEGA to fulfill this somehow?)

11 hours ago, phoboz said:

Yes super scalers are great, how many are there on the Jaguar?

I can think of at least 6:

1. Super Burnout

2. Atari Karts

3. Val d'Isère Skiing and Snowboarding

4. Wormhole 2000

5. Saucer Wars

6. Blue Lightning (I think it's a super scaler, but I haven't played it since it's a CD game)

PS. I don't count Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, and Alien vs. Predator, as they have a 3D environment for the maze walls.

Would have been really nice of SEGA made good on the settlement towards Atari and ported some of their super scalers as well. (Can't the current owners of the Atari brand enforce what is left of SEGA to fulfill this somehow?)

With some more polished artwork, Nitrous/No Outrun by Sporadic could be just as good as Super Burn Out.

Atari Karts mimics "Mode 7" of the SNES, not sure if that falls into the category of "super scaler".

On 12/25/2020 at 11:26 PM, Mr.JT said:

It depends on what you would call "noise". I would think amongst Jaguar enthusiasts it's a must have game. I enjoy this game very much and put it in my Jaguar at least once a year and try to beat my record times.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favourite game on the system too. Now what the jag is actually missing is a similar games with cars, think "lotus turbo esprit" or his snes cousin Top gear / Top racer. Since the system was not capable of handling 3d well enough for those fast pace games, they should have made checkered flag 2 with this sort of engine. And BIG sprites :)

• Like 1

So when I got my Jaguar in '99 a friend of mine had me get him a Jaguar and he's had two sets of kids growing up playing the Jaguar.

He said the other day they hooked up the Jaguar to play the one day they play over and over and over again: Super Burnout !!    They have quite a few games on the Jaguar, but that is the one they gravitate back to.  

Wondering if they'd like Atari Carts?   Shame World Tour Racing is not on a cartridge.  :D

29 minutes ago, Hyper_Eye said:

I don't think it's very good. Not in the same league as Super Burnout. Some like it though.

You know, I think you're right.   Super Burnout I think the thrill is how you can hug the turns.   Atari Karts that just isn't there.   Also what got to me about Atari Karts vs. Merlin Racing (Same company but on the Nuon) is that the power ups are on the track (hard to see) and really aren't that great.  (Merlin Racing got MUCH better).

How is World Tour Racing in comparison to Super Burnout in steering at controls?

3 hours ago, doctorclu said:

How is World Tour Racing in comparison to Super Burnout in steering at controls?

I consider WTR to be one of the three good racing games on the Jaguar along with Super Burnout and Power Drive Rally. World Tour Racing doesn't have the tight controls of Super Burnout but it has much better controls than Checkered Flag. It also doesn't have the excellent framerate of Super Burnout. It's pretty cool to have the in-car perspective if desired and it looks pretty good. I like it. It's not worth getting a CD unit for at today's prices but it was a good reason to get one back in the day.

If I had to sort the racing games from best to worst I would go with

1. Super Burnout
  2. Power Drive Rally
  3. World Tour Racing
  4. Atari Karts
  5. Club Drive
  6. Checkered Flag
  7. Supercross 3D

If you throw Checkered Flag with the improved control patch in the mix I would probably place it 4th but there is quite a distance between the quality of the 4th place and 3rd place in this list. The top 3 are good games. Checkered Flag had potential and elements that I really liked back then but spending any amount of time trying to seriously play the game is just frustrating. The patch makes it at least somewhat playable so the better elements can be appreciated. Include ST ports and this list would change significantly as well.

Supercross 3D is irredeemable. Biggest disappointment I ever had buying a new Jag game. I had been looking forward to it so much and within minutes of popping it in I was done with it.

• Like 3