IGNORED

US Based Repairs and Mods - Recommendations?

800_Rocks

Seeking recommendations for reliable, experienced, US based Atari 8bit repairs and installations/mods.  I am US-North Carolina based and thinking about mods to existing/working 8bits such as the following:

800XL:  Ultimate 1MB and better video option?

600XL:  Increase RAM to 64K (or better), Ultimate 1MB and better video option?

800: Recapping, Incognito 1MB and better video option?

I see  https://thebrewingacademy.com/ offers this service (however their website says they are doing inventory thru the month of January so they may be delayed a bit).  Have you had good experiences with their services?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that Marlin at The Brewing Academy may offer these services. He charges $50 per hour for his time. For troubleshooting for an unknown cause, I'm sure it's strictly on a per hour basis, but he may have some standard times/rates for certain installs and upgrades. He's usually pretty responsive to emails. I'd drop him a line. I know he is getting ready to start inventory and archiving, so that may put him a little behind, but it's worth a shot.

Marlin at The Brewing Academy

EDIT: I guess I missed your last paragraph. You basically said everything I just told you! Either way, you'd be hard pressed to find a better option for your upgrades and installs. If someone else is willing to help, I'm sure they'll pipe up.

I'm assuming you have absolutely zero electronics/soldering skills, because, while recapping may be a little more time consuming, the upgrades you mention are relatively easy to accomplish, on the 600XL and 800XL at least. I'm not as familiar with the 800 upgrades. There's definitely no trouble with knowing where your skills are, and aren't, so please don't take my comment as a slam or anything to be ashamed of. It's just that, if you had the equipment and even minor skills, the 600XL & 800XL upgrades are fairly easy and nothing to be afraid of.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I'm not as familiar with the 800 upgrades.

The 800 upgrades are a bit more complex that the 800XL/600XL as it involves rather a bit

more dismantling (800's built like a tank ? ), the good thing is the recap can be done at the

same time as the upgrades.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrarkus said:

I'm in the Charlotte area and would be happy to help, as long as you have the parts and aren't looking for extensive case modifications.

Nice I am very near Charlotte too.  I will PM you for details.

Thank you for others for their replies as well

• Like 1