IGNORED

No-Sound Troubleshooting

IIRC.LIFE

Hey all, I need help from the big guns.  You all have been helpful in my tinkering with my TI 99/4A.  At one point I had sound but recently, I stopped having sound.  I have tried different monitors, different configurations - didn't work.  I ordered a new sound chip (SN94624N) and replaced that on the board - still did not work.  After examing the board I noticed one circuit component that looked suspect.  I have outlined it in red here and was wondering if any of you can tell me what that component is and whether it might affect the sound.component.thumb.jpg.6698fc9af7990e4678868309276b8641.jpg

I have also ordered a new 5-Pin DIN cable from 8bitclassics as I thought that might have something to do with it.  I did look at the connections and everything appeared to be fine with the soldering.

If I can get this sound working again I will post this sound problem as my latest episode on my YouTube channel.

• Like 1

The highlighted component wouldn't affect the sound; it's part of the video circuitry.

If you have a multimeter, plug in your video cable, and see if there's a connection between the center pin of the cable's audio jack and the video connector pins on the bottom of the motherboard. If there isn't, resolder the video connector pins.

• Like 2

@AwkwardPotato thank you for the reply.  The video appears to be working fine, I am trying to figure out why I suddenly have no sound.  I was just looking at the board to see if anything conspicuous jumped out at me and saw the component in this post.  So if that component is part of the video process and I am not experiencing any video problems - I am left to assume that whereas that component does not look to be in great shape it must be functioning properly.  Is that how you would see it?

56 minutes ago, IIRC.LIFE said:

...it must be functioning properly.  Is that how you would see it?

Yes. That component (it's an inductor, btw) actually looks totally normal.

Even though the video works fine, it's worth reflowing the joints on the motherboard's video connector to rule out a bad solder joint as your sound problem. It's common for a cold joint to appear fine, when in reality it isn't.

Edited by AwkwardPotato
  • Like 1