IGNORED

Newbie ST Questions - UltraSatan, Gotek, 3.5" diskettes

800_Rocks

I had a 1040ST in the 90s, regret that I sold it.  I kept many of my original 3.5" diskettes.  I am getting back into the ST and now have a nice stock 1040 STE+4MB.  Seriously looking at the UltraSatan (cased) but have a couple of basic questions.  I did purchase a little video to VGA adapter so I have it working nicely on a Dell P2314Ht (3 images attached).

1) Does UltraSatan play nice with the original/internal 3.5" floppy drive (can you copy files to/from floppy to UltraSatan)?

2) What is the boot order with an UltraSatan?  Does the ST/E still look for and utilize a floppy first (if present)?  If no floppy is present will it boot from UltraSatan?  Is there any long delay if no floppy is present at boot?

3) Any differences to answer for 1 and 2 if the original/internal floppy drive is replaced by a Gotek drive?

4) Can I keep my (currently working) original/internal 3.5" floppy drive and have a Gotek as a second drive (or vice-versa)?  If 'yes' can I copy physical floppies to 'new' Gotek floppy images as a way to preserve/backup physical floppies?

Bonus Questions:

5) What are the best was to get all my 3.5" floppies preserved?

- I assume if the answer to '1' above is 'yes' I just copy my floppies to the UltraSatan.  Can I create ST diskette 'images' or only copy the individual files themselves to the UltraSatan?

6) I have been reading about the Greaseweasel (https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle) as a way to get most any format/filestructure floppy into an image file on a PC.  How many are doing this with old ST/E diskettes?  Are you having success?  Do you recommend?  Can you share your Greaseweasel setup/specs?  Are there any Greaseweasel docs/guides that are very ST specific?  Can you (would it make sense to) replace the original ST/E 3.5" floppy drive with a Greaseweasel capable drive?

7) Once you create a floppy drive image, presumably on your PC (with the Greaseweasel) what are the ways you can get that image to and use the image on the ST/E?  Do you need a Gotek drive to use the images?  Other ways?

Lots of questions... Thanks! for any/all replies and guidance.

IMG_0705.thumb.JPG.99a1e8dae82ef77b8f6bf399e527fc5c.JPG

IMG_0688.thumb.JPG.9743186a3e883567efc87c293995ef96.JPG

IMG_0690.thumb.JPG.ef3b1c8f866ef9b63a2129c722df5dd4.JPG

Edited by 800_Rocks

1: Yes, you can do file transfers between ST floppy and UltraSatan. Actually, it stays generally for all mass storage what works in standard way - via TOS filesystem.

So, classic hard disks (SCSI, IDE), other Flash card based mass storage ... 

But there are floppies without regular files, and then usual way is making image of it.

2: Boot order is determined by TOS. First floppy drive (A:), then mass storage . So, if there is for instance some game with loader in bootsector, it will be run, and then usually hard disk will be not activated at all.  I will continue with 'hard disk' here instead UltraSatan, because TOS is what determines how things happen, and not UltraSatan, what is just hard disk compatible storage for Atari  ST(E), TT .

If no floppy, or even no floppy drive, it will boot from hard disk, or US or whatever mass storage is attached, without usual delay present by floppy only machines without disk in drive.

3: No diff.

4: Yes, you can have both, and even can add switch what will swap them as A and B - there are threads in this forum bout how to solve it ..

To make floppy images no need for Gotek - floppy drive + SW for imaging + mass storage where images will be saved. That's the best way.

Can do it even without mass storage, but then need to be DJ and swap floppy for imaging with save floppy(es) several times.

5: Only way to preserve floppies for longer time is to make their images, copy files from them to something more reliable, newer ... It might be that it is already too late for some disks.   As is said above, in some cases you will not see files on disks, then need to make image.  In case of original floppies with copy protection need special SW for imaging - like Pasti - that's only one what works with regular Atari HW, without need for extra equipment. But images can be used only with emulators (Steem, Hatari) .

What leads to next :

6. I never heard about Greaseweasel . Atari people who love floppy disks usually using Super Card Pro (USB device too) . That does same thing -flux level copies, images.

I don't think that Greaseweasel needs some special, compatible drive. It should work with usual floppy drives.

7: Images done with Greaseweasel (or Super Card Pro, Kryoflux) are surely not usable directly with Gotek, you need to convert them. But if there is some stronger copy protection it will not work with Gotek. Only way to use it is to write them on floppy disks with Greaseweasel + floppy drive, PC . Then it will work with Atari - at least that's how it goes with Super Card Pro, and I don' see why would be diff. with Greaseweasel .

In case of usual user floppies, containing regular files it will work fine with Gotek. But in such case you don't need Greaseweasel  - you can do all imaging with your Atari ST, it's floppy drive + mass storage like US (for comfort in that case) .

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2020 at 4:23 PM, 800_Rocks said:

6) I have been reading about the Greaseweasel (https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle) as a way to get most any format/filestructure floppy into an image file on a PC.  How many are doing this with old ST/E diskettes?  Are you having success?  Do you recommend?  Can you share your Greaseweasel setup/specs?  Are there any Greaseweasel docs/guides that are very ST specific?  Can you (would it make sense to) replace the original ST/E 3.5" floppy drive with a Greaseweasel capable drive?

Greaseweazle is a cheaper an open source alternative to SCP and Kryoflux. It is rather new, but some people are dumping ST disks successfully with it.

It doesn't replace a drive. For that purpose you need a Gotek. They are two different things. One is for dumping disks and is connected (through USB) to a PC. The other is for disk emulation and connects directly to the ST.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

OK I now have an UltraSatan working great with my STE.  I have some basic questions that I have tried to search for in the Forum but have not found an answer so I will try here.  I have many .ST disk images on my Windows PC (downloaded from various sites).  I can get these .ST images to work fine in the STeem emulator which is great.  However, my real goal is to get the .ST images working on the real STE.  I do not have a way to write these direct to 3.5" floppies from my PC (I do not have a floppy drive).  What I do have is the SD-Card that the UltraSatan can read.  I can write the .ST images there but I don't know of a way to use the .ST images on the real STE.  Thanks for any/all answers and ideas.

1) What are the options to convert some or all of the files in a .ST disk image so I can write them on the PC connected SD-Card that works in the UltraSatan? 

2) Can I copy the .ST disk image to the SD-Card, take it to the UltraSatan and run a program there to convert the .ST image to either a real 3.5" floppy OR just copy the contents to a folder on the 'hard drive'?

3) I can boot from and/or open the .ST disk image in the Steem emulator.  Is there a way to use Steem to accomplish what I need?

4) I see the MSA Converter program.  Would that help?  Is the MSA Converter I find at this URL safe/trusted?  http://msaconverter.free.fr/index-uk.html

Since Ultra Satan is hard disk drive replacement and *.ST is floppy disk images it is not really meant to go together. 

I would suggest to replace your floppy disk drive with a gotek. The gotek will emulate a floppy disk drive. Then you can just fill an USB-stick with all your *.ST and run it from there. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, snarkdluG said:

I would suggest to replace your floppy disk drive with a gotek. The gotek will emulate a floppy disk drive

Thanks however I’m trying not to spend any more money and my ST floppy is working great. Also I still have many real ST floppies that work. 

There must be a way to convert or extract a .ST image. 

There are ways to use ST floppy images on Atari, stored on SD cards, via some adapter like UltraSatan.

But first to say: not everything will work. Some games in first place. And some games will not work with Gotek too, although more will work than from mass storage.

It is one thing to work in emulator, and other with real HW - if SW (game) has direct disk access, and not via TOS functions it will not work. And there may be some copy protections too.

May hard disk driver has Virtual Floppy feature http://atari.8bitchip.info/pphdr.php

that's good for not copy protected SW, what used TOS calls for disk access (trap #1 and XBIOS  ), and some games work with it, but for sure is better to use hard disk adaptation if it is available (and there is plenty of it now) . Virtual Floppy is more for user disks, which are in regular format, so they will work for sure on real Atari, and some large images are possible too - up to 2MB .

Even better is virtual floppy in improved TOS : http://atari.8bitchip.info/tosimav.html

To add that they are better than 'converting' ST image -actually copying files from it on hard disk. Because some SW is coded to run from disk A only.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2021 at 12:34 AM, 800_Rocks said:

1) What are the options to convert some or all of the files in a .ST disk image so I can write them on the PC connected SD-Card that works in the UltraSatan? 

2) Can I copy the .ST disk image to the SD-Card, take it to the UltraSatan and run a program there to convert the .ST image to either a real 3.5" floppy OR just copy the contents to a folder on the 'hard drive'?

4) I see the MSA Converter program.  Would that help?  Is the MSA Converter I find at this URL safe/trusted?  http://msaconverter.free.fr/index-uk.html

2 - Yes, there are tools that run on an ST that can write an ST or MSA image back to real floppies. Yes, the images could be present in a hard disk.

3 - No. Not MSA converter, that is a Windows utility. You can use the original Magic Shadow Archiver, and I believe Pera has its own ImageRunner program for ST as well. Strange that he didn't mention it. Pera?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I did not mention Floppy Image Runner because now there are some newer solutions, which work with less RAM. Look my previous reply here.

Can your newer solutions do what the OP asked, which is to write back images to real floppy? And can those solutions perform that for free or they cost money? Because that's what the OP asked. He said he has lots of empty floppies and want to write back images. Furthermore, he explicitly said he doesn't want to invest any money.

May be you are claiming that hard disk adaptations are better, or virtual floppies are more convenient. Well, may be. This is a matter of personal preferences. Some people like hard disk versions, some people like to use a Gotek, and others prefer a real, old school, floppy. I see no reason why not to answer the question and let him decide what he prefer to do. May be he will prefer to use real floppies or may be not.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 8:20 AM, zzip said:

Can Gotek drives be used as an external floppy on ST, if you have a case?

You can, but it won't be a bootable disk, unless you make it drive A somehow usually via a small modification, I did it to my STe so I can flip a switch and have the external drive become drive A and the internal drive B.  It was so long ago, I don't remember the details but they are available online.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ijor said:

Can your newer solutions do what the OP asked, which is to write back images to real floppy? And can those solutions perform that for free or they cost money? Because that's what the OP asked. He said he has lots of empty floppies and want to write back images. Furthermore, he explicitly said he doesn't want to invest any money.

May be you are claiming that hard disk adaptations are better, or virtual floppies are more convenient. Well, may be. This is a matter of personal preferences. Some people like hard disk versions, some people like to use a Gotek, and others prefer a real, old school, floppy. I see no reason why not to answer the question and let him decide what he prefer to do. May be he will prefer to use real floppies or may be not.

First, that my reply was more to SnarkdluG, because this claim "Since Ultra Satan is hard disk drive replacement and *.ST is floppy disk images it is not really meant to go together. "

Total nonsense, how on Earth they go together for plenty of people ?

First question in this thread was about UltraSatan, and I was first who replied, very detailed, but that's irrelevant for some people, who like rather to find something bad instead ..

SW for writing ST, MSA, and even STT images onto floppies is here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php

And not only Windows v. , there is little lower Atari version too.  TRACC - for whole disks, and CopyACC for filewise copy.

Btw. I don't think that asking about UltraSatan, Gotek, Greaseweasel means that someone don't want to invest money. It seems rather like being in dilemma what to buy from mentioned. And yes, I can recommend UltraSatan, and it will help in writing ST images onto floppies a lot, so not only hard disk adaptations.

If the goal is to write onto floppy disks owned, it can be done in different ways. First problem is to transfer downloaded ST/MSA images to Atari. Then, where to store them with Atari ? With only floppy drive, that's serious backdraw, and while is possible, really would not recommend to anyone in 21st Century. Now mass storage is cheap.

However, writing images with same drive, with what it will be used on Atari (so, using built in drive, Atari self for) is best way considering reading reliability - there are always some differences between floppy drives, like head position.  Instead UltraSatan Parcp(USB) could serve for transfers too, but then still need to split images, and that needs time, some knowledge. 

Let see other solutions: Gotek: by me surely better now than using floppy drive, even if copy protected stuff will not work in most cases. I don't know what max image sizes it supports on STs, but if it is for instance 880 KB, that could be fine for transferring images of 800 KB to PC.

Third way - getting specialized device (flux technology), what can copy practically everything, so copy protections too - I think that it is most useful for people owning lot of original disks (games in first place), so they can preserve them as they are. If no originals, still can DL images (not ST, MSA, but much longer ones, with protections) and write to real floppies.  I really don't know about that is available, are there some restrictions still in policy (like it was/is with IPF images) ?

My personal experience is that floppy disks are just in way too bad shape now. It was bad enough for me 20 years ago, when I started to move everything possible on hard disks.

It was easy with Sinclair Spectrum - SW was usually in single file (because tape storage), so it was easy to solve start of it from floppy (first added floppy drive), or hard disk.

With Atari ST, it's FAT12/16 filesystem, floppy controller and multiple files, possible really many ways of copy protection + ways of loading SW from floppies it is much-much more complicated, I would say at least 100 times.

But one thing is common: floppies are unreliable now.  I have couple hundreds of floppy disks, and I'm sometimes forced to use them - for testing floppy release of some game - usually do it when can do better than existing 'cracks' (like some TOS compatibility fix, trainer options ...).  But it goes usually that I find couple bad floppies, where write errors are indicated during write, so they go in trash. Last time with Pang it was really too bad, and took about whole hour while I reached flawless disk, and it worked. It was already tested in emulators, but I always do real HW test, as real one.  Wasted time, nerves. But I still do those ST images, because some can use them, and maybe have better luck with floppies.

Can get them here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/astgam.php

Beside unreliability of old floppy disks and drives what hurts is how people tends to make simple explanations and statements. This with Atari ST SW running was not simple even in times when almost nobody had hard disk. It's really not easy to judge what is what makes some SW not working well, or at all. TOS version incompatibility, poor code, or even silly problem that game works only with 512 KB (or 1 MB) RAM, but not on machines with more - and that's not all.

To the end of this longer post something based on recent work of me: game Barbarian 2 by Palace SW. I started thread about it's copy protection here: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/316467-barbarian-2-by-palace-interesting-copy-prot/

That decrypting during load slows it down, but even more slowdown is because file loads are divided into 512 byte chunks, with slow code for placing it to final dest. - and it loads really slow. So, I replaced it with direct load, from already decrypted disk image, and was even able to put it all on single floppy (with little packing) . Original is on 3 SS floppies and all it fits on some 600 KB space. And it works with Virtual Floppy too, or old Floppy Image Runner - because all disk access is via TOS. That's what matters, not disk image format.

Why this is so complicated ? In biggest part because SW authors used lot of diverse ways for loading from disk(s) - partially because copy protection, partially to have more free RAM (direct FDC access can be solved with very short code, about 500 bytes, and then you have some 40-50 KB more free space, because no need for TOS disk workspace) .

And sadder part: sometimes it is just because low knowledge, poor documentation, lack of equipment and/or will for testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2020 at 7:23 PM, 800_Rocks said:

I had a 1040ST in the 90s, regret that I sold it.  I kept many of my original 3.5" diskettes.  I am getting back into the ST and now have a nice stock 1040 STE+4MB.  Seriously looking at the UltraSatan (cased) but have a couple of basic questions.  I did purchase a little video to VGA adapter so I have it working nicely on a Dell P2314Ht (3 images attached).

1) Does UltraSatan play nice with the original/internal 3.5" floppy drive (can you copy files to/from floppy to UltraSatan)?

Yes, the UltraSATAN is an ACSI hard disk replacement.

2) What is the boot order with an UltraSatan?  Does the ST/E still look for and utilize a floppy first (if present)?  If no floppy is present will it boot from UltraSatan?  Is there any long delay if no floppy is present at boot?

It's the same as any ACSI hard disk and the ultimate behaviour depends upon the hard disk driver that you're using, such as AHDI, HDDriver or @ParanoidLittleMan's one.

3) Any differences to answer for 1 and 2 if the original/internal floppy drive is replaced by a Gotek drive?

The Gotek is merely a floppy disk replacement so the Atari knows no difference between it and a "real" floppy drive.

4) Can I keep my (currently working) original/internal 3.5" floppy drive and have a Gotek as a second drive (or vice-versa)?  If 'yes' can I copy physical floppies to 'new' Gotek floppy images as a way to preserve/backup physical floppies?

It is possible to install a Gotek as a second drive. You'd probably need to get an external drive enclosure, probably by buying a dead external drive via eBay or some such. Building your own is tricky as the Atari floppy connectors (DIN plugs) are very hard to find and are non-standard.

Bonus Questions:

5) What are the best was to get all my 3.5" floppies preserved?

- I assume if the answer to '1' above is 'yes' I just copy my floppies to the UltraSatan.  Can I create ST diskette 'images' or only copy the individual files themselves to the UltraSatan?

7) Once you create a floppy drive image, presumably on your PC (with the Greaseweasel) what are the ways you can get that image to and use the image on the ST/E?  Do you need a Gotek drive to use the images?  Other ways?

There are old (ST native) programs which will copy one floppy to another, some even deal with some types of copy protection. If you have both the original floppy and the Gotek then you could save them to images on there. Similarly, if you have access to a PC with a built-in floppy drive then you can read them in using utilities and make images which can then be transferred to the USB drive used in the Gotek, but not all image formats are supported by the Gotek so copy protected floppies will usually not work.

With regard to the UltraSATAN, this is a hard disk device and so doesn't support floppy images, it's merely presented as a series of FAT16 partitions so you can merely copy the files over into folders on the drive(s).

The sorts of files that Greaseweazel will produce are useful for duplicating floppies onto new floppies or converting to files used by emulators. If the floppies are non-standard then usually the Gotek can't use them.

• Thanks 1

If you didn't want to spent a lot of money... why buy an Ultra Satan in the first place? The disk you already had could be played on the original floppy disk drive. Downloaded .ST files would be easiest (IMHO) just to transfer to a USB stick and run thru a Gotek drive. Cheaper then transfer to Ultra Satan and then write to a floppy.

Lots of ways of doing this of course. Nothing is the 'right way' of doing things. As Ijor said, depending on how much you want to spend, simplicity and how you want to keep things true to original feeling of your childhood I suppose.

We merely provide info and you decide for your self. But if one doesn't know what everything is or means, you are going to drown in to much info.

Edited by snarkdluG
  • Thanks 1

Lots of good new information for me to study above. Thank you to each one who contributed. I now have an UltraSatan working great. The answer may be provided above (once I read and study it) however I want to simplify my question to this:

I have one .ST image from the internet. I know it contains one .PRG that I want.  Using my PC I copy the .ST to the SD Card I use with the UltraSatan. I take it to my STE. Now, what are my options to get to the one  .PRG that I want to use?  I don’t necessarily want to create a real floppy out of the .ST  My real goal is to get the one .PRG out of the .ST so I can run the .PRG. Assume the .ST was made of a normal user’s floppy disk so no copy protection. I just want to get one or all of the files on the .ST into a new folder on my US ‘hard drive’.  Thanks!!

There are several ways to extract files from ST floppy image. Even if you don't have floppy drive with PC can use FloImg: http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php

Open Another Image File, File Transfer .  Then copy it to SD card .

Can do with emulators - set ST image for floppy A, set some folder as GEMDOS drive in disk options, and then can copy file from it to partition assigned to that folder.

On Atari can use Floppy Image Runner http://atari.8bitchip.info/imgrun.php

or Virtual Floppy (that goes with my hard disk driver).  And there are some others probably.

And just for case: are you sure that in this case only *.PRG file is needed to run it, and no other files ?  Even if no copy protection program might be done to run only from A: . I talk from experience - many of it can not run from hard disk (C: , D ...) without further changes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

There are several ways to extract files from ST floppy image.

Hi thanks for this and your many other replies too. In my simple case the .PRG I want to run is SYSINFO.PRG  Yes I will of course see if it has other associated files like .RSC or others. Yes I will understand if it fails to run it may have been hard  coded to run from the A: drive.  In that case I will copy it to a physical floppy and try running it directly from A:  I will share my progress later today. 

6 hours ago, stephen_usher said:

The sorts of files that Greaseweazel will produce are useful for duplicating floppies onto new floppies or converting to files used by emulators. If the floppies are non-standard then usually the Gotek can't use them.

There seems to be quite some misinformation here about that. The gotek can run almost any disk copy protection and custom formats.

Of course, it requires the correct image. Not just an ST or MSA one.

Edited by ijor

4 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Can do with emulators - set ST image for floppy A, set some folder as GEMDOS drive in disk options, and then can copy file from it to partition assigned to that folder.

This worked great for my goal of taking one or more files from a .ST file/image and getting them into a folder on my SD-Card so I could use it directly on my UltraSatan on my STE.  I had tried to use Steem to do this before but was missing some knowledge.  I did not realize the Steem 'GEMDOS Hard Drives' are just folders on the PC.  This was the bit that solved what I was trying to do.

Here are the steps that worked for me to get the contents of a .ST file/image onto my SDCard so I could use it on my ST.  If you know of an easier way to do this please share.  My ideal solution is something that would just 'extract' all the files and folder structures of a .ST into a folder of m choice... which is essentially what Steem is doing for me in the following steps:

1. Used Steem SSE 3.9.4.  I booted Steem from the GEMDOS Hard Drive image (which I think it came with).  It maps to the 'Steem_Home' folder in the director where Steem is installed on my PC.
  2. After booting from the Hard Drive I found the .ST image that I am interested in and mounted it as Floppy B.
  3. Then in Steem it was easy to open/view the .ST image (as floppy B)
  4. Created a New Folder with the name 'ROBBCOPY.V3' on the hard drive (drive C in Steem)
  5. Copied the entire contents of floppy B to the newly created Folder
  6. Completely shutdown Steem
  7. On the PC in file explorer I went to the Steem_Home folder and found my newly created 'ROBBCOPY.V3' folder and all of its contents.
  8. From there it was easy to copy this folder to the FAT16 partition on the SDCard I am using with my UltraSatan.
  9. I took the SDCard to the UltraSatan, booted from the hard drive and can see my new 'ROBBCOPY.V3' folder and can see and run the files and programs found there.  Yeah!!

image.thumb.png.5db9141c8b9d43d25c18acb8d46f4a1b.png

4 hours ago, 800_Rocks said:

Hi thanks for this and your many other replies too. In my simple case the .PRG I want to run is SYSINFO.PRG  Yes I will of course see if it has other associated files like .RSC or others. Yes I will understand if it fails to run it may have been hard  coded to run from the A: drive.  In that case I will copy it to a physical floppy and try running it directly from A:  I will share my progress later today. 

You don't need to extract Sysinfo at all. You can download just that file from Atari ST - Essential software (The List) and then just copy it over using your SD card, assuming you made up the partitions so as to be readable by your PC and by TOS.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

You don't need to extract Sysinfo at all. You can download just that file from Atari ST - Essential software (The List) and then just copy it over using your SD card, assuming you made up the partitions so as to be readable by your PC and by TOS.

Thanks for the link.  Yes I know I can find many programs standalone (i.e. outside of a .ST image).  However, the whole point of my effort was to learn how to get .ST content to my SD card and I know have a method to do so.  Great link by the way and one I did not have so Thank YOU for that.

Edited by 800_Rocks