IGNORED

Newbie ST Questions - UltraSatan, Gotek, 3.5" diskettes

800_Rocks

4 hours ago, youxia said:

How about .stx?

The Gotek can't run Pasti/STX images directly. It must be converted to some internal format. Some Pasti images convert fines, other are not that easy to convert. In such cases you must convert from a raw flux level image, like SCP.

2 hours ago, 800_Rocks said:

Thanks for the link.  Yes I know I can find many programs standalone (i.e. outside of a .ST image).  However, the whole point of my effort was to learn how to get .ST content to my SD card and I know have a method to do so.  Great link by the way and one I did not have so Thank YOU for that.

.st images are disk images and cannot be ran from or accessed by an US. If you want to access files from an .st image, you need a Gotek or Goex or some other disk drive emulation device that will allow you to mount the .st image so that you can copy the data you want from the .st image to the US. I am not aware of any software available for the ST that will allow you to access an .st image from the ST itself. .st images, as far as I know, are only usable by disk emulation devices. So, in addition to your US, you're going to have to spend $20-$30 to get a Gotek or a Goex and replace your floppy drive which, honestly, you should do anyway. Diskettes are far too fragile and old to continue to use them.

Am I missing anything here guys? Is there an app that the OP can use to access files from an .st image from his US?

Am I saying anything here that hasn't already been said earlier in this thread?

EDIT:

As someone also mentioned earlier in this thread, you could use Hatari, or the emulator of your choice, and extract the files you want from your .st files on your PC. Then you could move them to your SD card and to your ST.

As I and others have stated, there is no way that we're aware of to access .st images from your ST on your US. A Gotek or Goex drive on your ST or doing the work on an emulator then moving the files via SD card are the only options that I'm aware of.

Edited by bfollowell

I just found out that there is a way that you can access .st files from your US, assuming you're using @ParanoidLittleMan's  HD drivers. You can read more about it here. I still feel a Gotek or a Goex are the best options to access ST disk images, but this one may work for you without needing to purchase any additional hardware.

@ParanoidLittleMan actually mentioned it right here, earlier in this same thread 

Edited by bfollowell

2 hours ago, bfollowell said:

.st images are disk images and cannot be ran from or accessed by an US ... So, in addition to your US, you're going to have to spend $20-$30 to get a Gotek or a Goex and replace your floppy drive which, honestly, you should do anyway. Diskettes are far too fragile and old to continue to use them.

Am I missing anything here guys? Is there an app that the OP can use to access files from an .st image from his US?

I don't know if there is an ST program that can directly extract files from .ST images. But as mentioned in this thread, there definitely are programs that can write ST and MSA images back to floppies on the ST.

FLOEXTR.ZIP

Above is special program for batch extracting content of ST, MSA image files. Usage instructions included.

Can use it with emulators Steem and Hatari. Fastest work is with GEMDOS hard disk emulation, but from some reason Steem and Hatari don't preserve original file date and time, but will write there current one. If want to have original file date use real hard disk emulation with them - like ACSI emulation with Hatari, with Steem will need pasti.dll , and of course need image of hard disk/Flash card content and driver activated.

Can do all it on real Atari ST, equipped with mass storage, just take care of enough free space on partition.

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
some error happened

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2020 at 2:23 PM, 800_Rocks said:

I had a 1040ST in the 90s, regret that I sold it.  I kept many of my original 3.5" diskettes.  I am getting back into the ST and now have a nice stock 1040 STE+4MB.  Seriously looking at the UltraSatan (cased) but have a couple of basic questions.  I did purchase a little video to VGA adapter so I have it working nicely on a Dell P2314Ht (3 images attached).

1) Does UltraSatan play nice with the original/internal 3.5" floppy drive (can you copy files to/from floppy to UltraSatan)?

2) What is the boot order with an UltraSatan?  Does the ST/E still look for and utilize a floppy first (if present)?  If no floppy is present will it boot from UltraSatan?  Is there any long delay if no floppy is present at boot?

3) Any differences to answer for 1 and 2 if the original/internal floppy drive is replaced by a Gotek drive?

4) Can I keep my (currently working) original/internal 3.5" floppy drive and have a Gotek as a second drive (or vice-versa)?  If 'yes' can I copy physical floppies to 'new' Gotek floppy images as a way to preserve/backup physical floppies?

Bonus Questions:

5) What are the best was to get all my 3.5" floppies preserved?

- I assume if the answer to '1' above is 'yes' I just copy my floppies to the UltraSatan.  Can I create ST diskette 'images' or only copy the individual files themselves to the UltraSatan?

6) I have been reading about the Greaseweasel (https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle) as a way to get most any format/filestructure floppy into an image file on a PC.  How many are doing this with old ST/E diskettes?  Are you having success?  Do you recommend?  Can you share your Greaseweasel setup/specs?  Are there any Greaseweasel docs/guides that are very ST specific?  Can you (would it make sense to) replace the original ST/E 3.5" floppy drive with a Greaseweasel capable drive?

7) Once you create a floppy drive image, presumably on your PC (with the Greaseweasel) what are the ways you can get that image to and use the image on the ST/E?  Do you need a Gotek drive to use the images?  Other ways?

Lots of questions... Thanks! for any/all replies and guidance.

IMG_0705.thumb.JPG.99a1e8dae82ef77b8f6bf399e527fc5c.JPG

IMG_0688.thumb.JPG.9743186a3e883567efc87c293995ef96.JPG

IMG_0690.thumb.JPG.ef3b1c8f866ef9b63a2129c722df5dd4.JPG

Hi, so these images are from a Dell 2314Ht, is that the same as a 2314H?  Also, it looks like the middle pic is in med rez, correct?  I have found that many of these monitors that can sync to 15 Khz the med rez comes out with funny pixelation, whereas in this pic the med rez looks great, is that the case?  Thanks

14 hours ago, Randy said:

Hi, so these images are from a Dell 2314Ht, is that the same as a 2314H?  Also, it looks like the middle pic is in med rez, correct?  I have found that many of these monitors that can sync to 15 Khz the med rez comes out with funny pixelation, whereas in this pic the med rez looks great, is that the case?  Thanks

Hi - I have no experience with the 2314H.  Yes the 2nd pic is medium resolution.  The images are not perfect.  Some noticeable, light, thin vertical lines but all in all I am pleased with how it looks on my Dell 2314Ht on all 3 resolutions (low/med/high).  I purchased the Dell 2314Ht via eBay for $70 total (included shipping).  It has 2 dead pixels (not very noticeable).  I also use it for my 2nd monitor (dual monitor) for my Windows PC so it serves both my STE and my PC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 800_Rocks said:

Hi - I have no experience with the 2314H.  Yes the 2nd pic is medium resolution.  The images are not perfect.  Some noticeable, light, thin vertical lines but all in all I am pleased with how it looks on my Dell 2314Ht on all 3 resolutions (low/med/high).  I purchased the Dell 2314Ht via eBay for $70 total (included shipping).  It has 2 dead pixels (not very noticeable).  I also use it for my 2nd monitor (dual monitor) for my Windows PC so it serves both my STE and my PC.

Thanks!  There have been some threads about the best monitors to use for display all three resolutions and it seems that the med rez is the hardest to get right, usually the words will have breaks in them and not be clean and clear.  Looking at yours, med rez seems to be perfectly readble and therefore, usable, is that correct?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Randy said:

Looking at yours, med rez seems to be perfectly readble and therefore, usable, is that correct?

Yes I am pleased with the Dell P2314Ht in all three resolutions.  Adding some pictures:

1) Low Res desktop

2) Time Bandit... notice the smallest, faint vertical lines in the black areas of the screen

3) The ST2VGA adapter I use

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0683b.JPG