IGNORED

Cross Snake

Cross Snake is the fourth universal 8-bit game that I have written with my universal 8-bit development kit Cross-Lib:
https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/CROSS-LIB

The game code is written only once and compiled for about 200 different vintage systems (consoles, computers, hand-held consoles, arcade boards, hacked toys, scientific calculators, etc.). 
Here I show the Atari 8-bit and Atari 5200 version. The versions for all other systems are the same (they use the same game code) but are automatically adapted the different screen constraints by Cross-Lib.

Game-play: Eat all apples before you start losing your energy. Avoid biting your own body and the mines. Optionally collect other items to unlock special power-ups and discover secrets. The game has 33 levels (1 secret level) and 50 secrets to discover.

• Like 10

• 2 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Snake on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

20231027-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.b0b86fe9edc0eecc1680689fb48c7c9d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

15 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Already found Snake, Chase, Shoot, Bomber and Horde but nothing else for the 5200, just for the 8-bit for the other four.

5200 Versions:

Shuriken

Verbix

Stinger

Mines/MinesPlus - No 5200 Build Available

I was able to find these via Google with "Fabrizio 5200 [NAME OF GAME]" or you can navigate through his CROSS-LIB page on his GitHub.

- James

• Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 12:08 AM, Fabrizio Caruso said:

Cross Snake is the fourth universal 8-bit game that I have written with my universal 8-bit development kit Cross-Lib:
https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/CROSS-LIB

The game code is written only once and compiled for about 200 different vintage systems (consoles, computers, hand-held consoles, arcade boards, hacked toys, scientific calculators, etc.). 
Here I show the Atari 8-bit and Atari 5200 version. The versions for all other systems are the same (they use the same game code) but are automatically adapted the different screen constraints by Cross-Lib.

Game-play: Eat all apples before you start losing your energy. Avoid biting your own body and the mines. Optionally collect other items to unlock special power-ups and discover secrets. The game has 33 levels (1 secret level) and 50 secrets to discover.

Hi Fabrizio

Are there any games for the 7800 available?

Greetings Walter

Hi @gambler172!
All the 8 games written with my Cross-Lib framework (i.e., Chase, Shoot, Bomber, Snake, Horde, Verbix, Shuriken, Stinger) can be built for the Atari 7800 and for any of the 200 systems.

Currently I build the games for the Atari 7800 only using 160A tile mode (3 colors + background) and with just the default tiles provided by CC65 (which is a subset of the ASCII set). No sound support yet.
So on the Atari 7800 the games will only feature 4 colors and ASCII-like graphics. The game code is the same across 200 systems. So you get the very same game but the look and feel may be different.

I am working on adding real tile support (not just ASCII). It is a matter of time.
More colors is more complex due to the way the Atari 7800 chip works and that fact that my abstraction layer is only tile-based (no abstract sprites, so no hardware sprites).
Using 160B mode with just tiles would impose other restrictions (number of tile shapes would be too low). So I may stick to 3+1 colors.

P.S.: Most of the 8 games can be built optionally also in 320A mode (monochromatic but hires). Due to memory restrictions I cannot build some of them in this mode.

Edited by Fabrizio Caruso
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fabrizio Caruso said:

Hi @gambler172!
All the 8 games written with my Cross-Lib framework (i.e., Chase, Shoot, Bomber, Snake, Horde, Verbix, Shuriken, Stinger) can be built for the Atari 7800 and for any of the 200 systems.

Currently I build the games for the Atari 7800 only using 160A tile mode (3 colors + background) and with just the default tiles provided by CC65 (which is a subset of the ASCII set). No sound support yet.
So on the Atari 7800 the games will only feature 4 colors and ASCII-like graphics. The game code is the same across 200 systems. So you get the very same game but the look and feel may be different.

I am working on adding real tile support (not just ASCII). It is a matter of time.
More colors is more complex due to the way the Atari 7800 chip works and that fact that my abstraction layer is only tile-based (no abstract sprites, so no hardware sprites).
Using 160B mode with just tiles would impose other restrictions (number of tile shapes would be too low). So I may stick to 3+1 colors.

P.S.: Most of the 8 games can be built optionally also in 320A mode (monochromatic but hires). Due to memory restrictions I cannot build some of them in this mode.

Is there a Download for 7800 games?

There maybe multiple places as they may be scattered across different releases in my GitHub page.
I can make it simpler for you. Nevertheless I would prefer to complete my current work on real graphics for the 7800 before people start playing the Atari 7800 versions because the current one look quite ugly.

In theory the only way to get the most up to date versions of my game for any system is to download Cross-Lib, install the required compiler (cc65 for most MOS 6502 targets) and run:
xl <game> <target>
where <game> is one of these games: chase, shoot, bomber, snake, horde, verbix, shuriken, stinger
and <target> can be atari, atari5200, atari7800, atari_lynx, c64, c16, vic20, zx81, c128, apple2, nes, gb (gameboy), gg (gamegear), sms, spectrum, msx, cpc, zx81, coco, coco3, dragon, mo5, to7, ti99, etc...

1 hour ago, Fabrizio Caruso said:

There maybe multiple places as they may be scattered across different releases in my GitHub page.
I can make it simpler for you. Nevertheless I would prefer to complete my current work on real graphics for the 7800 before people start playing the Atari 7800 versions because the current one look quite ugly.

In theory the only way to get the most up to date versions of my game for any system is to download Cross-Lib, install the required compiler (cc65 for most MOS 6502 targets) and run:
xl <game> <target>
where <game> is one of these games: chase, shoot, bomber, snake, horde, verbix, shuriken, stinger
and <target> can be atari, atari5200, atari7800, atari_lynx, c64, c16, vic20, zx81, c128, apple2, nes, gb (gameboy), gg (gamegear), sms, spectrum, msx, cpc, zx81, coco, coco3, dragon, mo5, to7, ti99, etc...

Well i am a lousy coder, so please lmk, when some new games are ported for the 7800 😉