IGNORED

What hardware do you want in 2021?

GDMike

I suppose one thing I'd like is a 9918A replacement with 15KHz RGBS output as at least an option.  I downscale the F18A's 31KHz output to 15KHz for use with my 15KHz RGB monitor.  But it's not perfect.  It'd be nice if it were generated as 15KHz.  So I guess that would still be a wishlist item. 

Another I suppose is a replacement keyboard PCB, so a bunch of us can get to tinkering with building keyboard replacements.  I think that'd be a really fun project.  Figuring out what the best solution is for custom caps, maybe arranging a group buy, and digging into an esoteric custom keyboard build project with some unusual geometry. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

I suppose one thing I'd like is a 9918A replacement with 15KHz RGBS output as at least an option.  I downscale the F18A's 31KHz output to 15KHz for use with my 15KHz RGB monitor.  But it's not perfect.  It'd be nice if it were generated as 15KHz.  So I guess that would still be a wishlist item. 

Another I suppose is a replacement keyboard PCB, so a bunch of us can get to tinkering with building keyboard replacements.  I think that'd be a really fun project.  Figuring out what the best solution is for custom caps, maybe arranging a group buy, and digging into an esoteric custom keyboard build project with some unusual geometry. 

Wow, 15kHz RGBs are hard enough to obtain. Upscaling to VGA gets us all the LCDs. You must be the one person who wants to go the analog direction! 

• Like 1

I doubt I'm the only one around here.  I know there are folks around here using a Geneve with a 15KHz RGB solution.  But in the broader community, 15KHz RGB is standard on MSX2 and Atari ST and CoCo 3 and a bunch else.  So it's not like nobody's using 15KHz RGB monitors in their computing on 80s-era hardware. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retrospect said:

All of it

But i'm not gonna get it

lol.

My ideal setup would be TI994a console (silver & black) with that strange little device you plug into it that gives 32K and SD access and a nice CRT monitor.

You mean the nanopeb, or TIPi? To me, 32K max card ram is dead. SAMs is it and should be standard these days because it comes in both variety of installing, side mount and PEB. 

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, GDMike said:

You mean the nanopeb, or TIPi? To me, 32K max card ram is dead. SAMs is it and should be standard these days because it comes in both variety of installing, side mount and PEB. 

Yeah, Nanopeb.  It would just be ideal to have a console with something smaller than a PEB.  It's all pipe dreams anyhow 'cos I've got a missus who hates clutter and would never allow for such a setup.  I'd only run it on a CRT you see, I'm not one for running old hardware on new telly's. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

Wow, 15kHz RGBs are hard enough to obtain. Upscaling to VGA gets us all the LCDs. You must be the one person who wants to go the analog direction! 

5 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

I doubt I'm the only one around here.  I know there are folks around here using a Geneve with a 15KHz RGB solution.  But in the broader community, 15KHz RGB is standard on MSX2 and Atari ST and CoCo 3 and a bunch else.  So it's not like nobody's using 15KHz RGB monitors in their computing on 80s-era hardware. 

Oh for sure. I have the versatile MP910 for my F18A and Geneve (SCART). 

It's just funny to me since folks are eager to get an F18A solution to use current LCDs, while you want the F18A to downscale to 15kHz RGB.

I agree there should be a plug-in 9958 solution for those who have/want RGB out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, now that I've given it a little bit more thought, I'd like to see a new modern joystick conversion interface developed for the TI in 2021.

It would solely operate as Joystick #1, but use BOTH BUTTONS to make porting future more complicated games easier.  It would output a FORWARD FACING USB connector for use with modern joysticks and to manage cramped spaces.  It's 3D printed case would have a lip that went under the TI to make a velcro connection so it will not fall off. 

I dunno if it would require power or not, but 5V USB power supplies are cheap these days.  Of course it would require two settings, LEGACY & MODERN.  Hell, practically everything else on the TI has been updated, why not the joystick interface as well?

10 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Well, now that I've given it a little bit more thought, I'd like to see a new modern joystick conversion interface developed for the TI in 2021.

It would solely operate as Joystick #1, but use BOTH BUTTONS to make porting future more complicated games easier.  It would output a FORWARD FACING USB connector for use with modern joysticks and to manage cramped spaces.  It's 3D printed case would have a lip that went under the TI to make a velcro connection so it will not fall off. 

I dunno if it would require power or not, but 5V USB power supplies are cheap these days.  Of course it would require two settings, LEGACY & MODERN.  Hell, practically everything else on the TI has been updated, why not the joystick interface as well?

I like it, but i'd want a "port 2" switch on it for old games that need the other joystick port.

What i really want for the TI, is a coffee cup warmer powered from the side port, so i can stop using the TI's 'runway' for this purpose.  ;-)

It could even have a little DSR for it. CALL CUP([time in minutes to keep heater activate]/ON/OFF).

You could either have it on for a set amount of time, or ON until OFF is issued.

And of course, black and silver housing would be mandatory, something in the style of Disk Controller.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/27/2020 at 2:58 PM, pixelpedant said:

15KHz RGB is standard on MSX2 and Atari ST and CoCo 3 and a bunch else.  So it's not like nobody's using 15KHz RGB monitors in their computing on 80s-era hardware

I’m doing so with my Atari ST and it’s a pain in my ass for sure!

I’d prefer a magic-box solution for 15khz to VGA or HDMI. 

Fortunately I found two 15khz LCDs at the local Goodwill. For those of you looking here’s a site showing which lcds work with 15khz:

http://15khz.wikidot.com

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 8:38 AM, Omega-TI said:

It would solely operate as Joystick #1, but use BOTH BUTTONS to make porting future more complicated games easier. 

I’d settle for some well documented code showing how to program for the MBX. I have a few programming examples yet without comments I haven’t figured them out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Airshack said:

Said me before I saw the F18A in action. Imagine a screen filled with crisp clean graphics the way things look in memory. 

Have you got an F18a James?

Reason I ask is you might need one for my next project! :)  

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 1

I want a modern web browser to display http://wagnerstechtalk.com/ti99/z.htm correctly ;-)

A native support of <99ml> in current web browsers would indicate a step closer to world domination. ?

OK - but now for real:

• I'd like to see more webpages for Stuart's Browser ...
  • ... and a compendium or a small search engine for <99ml> websites also realized in <99ml>.

This would make me want a TIPI even more.

• Like 1