IGNORED

Got Switch for Christmas recommend me games!

DragonGrafx-16

Aleste Collection has that new GG Aleste 3, but that's also on PS4 and the limited edition Game Gear Micro. I guess Sega Ages Thunder Force AC might be interesting, as it has some extra stuff that is not in any other release of Thunder Force AC (Rynex and the mass-production model of the Styx), but for the most part, I think most (all?) of the shooters on the Switch are ports or emulated versions of old games.

There is what is probably something close to a complete list of shooters on the Switch on GameFAQs

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch/category/313-action-shooter-shoot-em-up

For some reason Aleste Collection's genera is listed as "compilation" (seriously? Who the hell decided that that makes sense?) instead of shooter, so it doesn't show up on the list of shooters.

Anything else you are looking for besides shooters?

Edited by Steven Pendleton

If you don't have a WiiU already, there's a ton of great WiiU ports for the Switch. BotW is a no-brainer.

Otherwise...uh...there's Mario Oddessey, and the new Hyrule Warriors is pretty good so far.

I probably would've got DQXI for the Switch, if I hadn't already bought it for 3DS and Steam.

Some I've enjoyed or heard friends talk about:

BotW (of course)

Both Hyrule Warriors games (haven't had much time to spend on Age of Calamity yet)

Ghost Blade HD

Darius Cozmic Collection (has some really cool features apart from spot on emulation)

Cuphead

Gunlord X

Iron Crypticle 

Battle Zone Gold Edition

Implosion (Hack 'n slash)

I did get Astral Chain for Christmas, but haven't had a chance to give it a spin yet. 

On 12/26/2020 at 8:24 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Got Switch for Christmas so recommend me some games! Are there any Switch exclusive shoot 'em ups? Not interested in arcade games as I can emulate those in MAME... though if it's cheap enough I might consider them. 

It's not a shoot 'em up, but if you only pick ONE Switch game, get Breath of the Wild.

Well yeah you can use MAME or whatever, but the arcade stuff usually is $6 or less, and given how much better off it is outside of that wet turd of an emulator mess, if $6 sucks wait on a sale to take it down another 1/3 to 1/2 off as they happen enough (and that $6 is for the ACA stuff.)

Beyond that I'm sure most will recommend the first party games, so I won't.

I would suggest trying both the Blaster Master Zero titles, Cat Quest 1+2, Diablo III, Dragon Quest 11S, Ghostbusters (it's the 3rd movie we never got or ever will due to Egon passing away), I am Setsuna, Panzer Dragoon, Streets of Rage 4, one of the Street Fighter packages, Capcom Belt Action, 

On 12/27/2020 at 9:33 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Both Hyrule Warriors games (haven't had much time to spend on Age of Calamity yet)

I beat the demo of AoC, but haven't dug into the full version yet. It's a little bit different from the first game.

But then again, I didn't get super far into the first game, so maybe they get more similar later on...

Framerate could've been better. Hopefully it's fixed in the full version, or will be fixed with a patch.

15 hours ago, Recycled said:

Still don't have BOTW.  Always wanted it, but rationalized since I have Skyrim, 2 huge open world games would be too much (and maybe too similar of an experience?)

From what little I've played of Skyrim, BotW is not similar at all. A big part of the game is all of the interactions you can do with the world, with the physics engine, and I'm not even counting all of the glitches people have been exploiting.

Just exploring and stumbling upon new things you can do is so awesome, it's not something that you see too often outside of text adventures.

There were so many moments where I just had to stop and watch the screen for a while, because I couldn't believe what I was seeing...that's not something I usually do in a videogame. It really is brilliant (though I have qualms with the DLC).

Although I guess in Skyrim, you can put a bucket on peoples' heads to prevent them from seeing you steal things?

• Thanks 1

Frame rate seems ok from what I've played already, but they've done something weird with the resolution or the anti-aliasing, it's hard to put my finger on it. I sunk tons of hours into HW (mainly thanks to my daughters who really enjoy it)...there is definitely a unique feel to AoC, but I'm not complaining by what I've played so far.  

I can't believe that I forgot to mention this before, but there is something that is not a game that you should get, and it's the Pro Controller. Yes, it's expensive and has a questionable and awkwardly placed d-pad, but it's a good controller overall.

As you know, I got my Aleste Collection for PS4 today and it's really good. I actually even like the M2 Gadgets, which is something that I would normally turn off completely, but everything is done very well on the Aleste Collection and even the M2 Gadgets are staying activated. I am extremely tempted to get the Switch version as well just for handheld mode.

Other than that, Switch game recommendations include the usual stuff: Fire Emblem, Smash, Castlevania/Contra collections, Sega Ages Thunder Force IV/Thunder Force AC/Shinobi/Herzog Zwei/Virtua Racing/Sonic/Space Harrier/Out Run, Mario Kart, pretty much everything in ACA NEOGEO (especially Neo Turf Masters/Big Tournament Golf and Shock Troopers), R-Type Dimensions EX, Sonic Mania Plus, Konami's Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection, Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, Bayonetta, Langrisser, Blaster Master Zero and its sequel, and that pretty much covers everything. The majority of these are available elsewhere, but the real purpose of the Switch (mine, anyway) is for handheld versions of 3rd party things and Fire Emblem. Also Shin Megami Tensei V next year and Metroid Prime 4, whenever that gets released.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Frame rate seems ok from what I've played already, but they've done something weird with the resolution or the anti-aliasing, it's hard to put my finger on it.

I'll have to check out the full version, the demo's framerate was pretty rough in a lot of spots. I don't remember the first game being like that, and that was a WiiU game.

Didn't notice any resolution or AA issues, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I've been busy with Skyward Sword, though.

Oh, unless you're talking about the stipple-alpha/dither transparencies (like when you hide behind bushes/trees). I've noticed that in a few modern console games, and I thought it was kind of weird that they're resurrecting it. Maybe it's just a super cheap way to get some extra horsepower out of HD games, and they figure that it's harder to notice at such high resolutions?

20 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I can't believe that I forgot to mention this before, but there is something that is not a game that you should get, and it's the Pro Controller. Yes, it's expensive and has a questionable and awkwardly placed d-pad, but it's a good controller overall.

I spent $20 on a Mayflash USB adapter, it lets you use a bunch of different controllers on the Switch. I usually use the excellent WiiU Pro Controller, but sometimes I'll use the Wii's Classic Controller (because I'm too lazy to re-sync everything).

Only downside is it doesn't support force feedback.

Hey I got a question, since we're giving recommendations...anything in particular around the $5 and less price (I'd include Fire Emblem as it's close enough) worth blowing a few coins on?  I've got like 70 expiring tomorrow, rather not let them get a freebie.

I saw for $2 there were some really strange paint/draw programs so there's well beyond just games on offer.

I also agree on the Pro Controller, but, also on the ugly price so when I got mine it was 1/2 off and second hand and it has been a real reward using it when I do bother with TV play.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

...anything in particular around the $5 and less price (I'd include Fire Emblem as it's close enough) worth blowing a few coins on?

Oceanhorn was on sale for $5 and some change the other day...dunno if it still is or not. Demo was enjoyable enough, so I nabbed it.

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Hey I got a question, since we're giving recommendations...anything in particular around the $5 and less price (I'd include Fire Emblem as it's close enough) worth blowing a few coins on?  I've got like 70 expiring tomorrow, rather not let them get a freebie.

I saw for $2 there were some really strange paint/draw programs so there's well beyond just games on offer.

Get the 99 cent "Fuze Player" -- Fuze is a programming language they've released on the Switch, and the Fuze Player showcases titles designed in Fuze. I believe it has about 20 titles in it now, and more will be made available over time.

Edited by DavidD
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 10:05 PM, Asaki said:

I'll have to check out the full version, the demo's framerate was pretty rough in a lot of spots. I don't remember the first game being like that, and that was a WiiU game.

Didn't notice any resolution or AA issues, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I've been busy with Skyward Sword, though.

OK, gave this a more thorough play-through yesterday and while the framerate issues are still there, they have improved it over the demo. Certain levels and events to bring it down though (mainly when wrecking huge groups of enemies with a special attack or something similar.

Only on rare occasion did I come across a blur, but overall the game does look just like BotW, just with a lot more enemies. In some respects, I think they improved certain lighting/shadow effects and textures. With as many enemies as they have running around, they definitely worked to improve this over what BotW did. Just too bad that they can't have it at 60fps all the time though.

Ultimately I went with something I saw pop up I forgot about.  The original Phantasy Star that has those quality of life improvements where you get an automap for the dungeons and a few other perks that smooth out the rough edges from decades ago making it more smooth and a bit speedier too.  I just couldn't pop for Fire Emblem, just not in love with a franchise I can get nowhere near the end of on any of them.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:05 PM, Asaki said:

I spent $20 on a Mayflash USB adapter, it lets you use a bunch of different controllers on the Switch. I usually use the excellent WiiU Pro Controller, but sometimes I'll use the Wii's Classic Controller (because I'm too lazy to re-sync everything).

Only downside is it doesn't support force feedback.

I don't suppose it lets me use Neo Geo controllers, which is too bad, as I would much rather play Neo Geo games on the Switch with the proper controller and buttons.

2 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I don't suppose it lets me use Neo Geo controllers, which is too bad, as I would much rather play Neo Geo games on the Switch with the proper controller and buttons.

It might! It has a USB port, but I don't know specifically which devices it supports.

I'm just skimming the web page, and it looks like it supports it, but you should probably give it a good lookover yourself: http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/MAGIC-NS.html

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Are you talking about the original Neo Geo controllers, or one of the modern USB versions?

The USB versions might work with the adapter... if not, if there is a Neo Geo to USB conversion device, you might have luck.

When it comes to controllers:

• The 8BitDo Wireless Bluetooth Adapter ($20) lets you use almost any bluetooth controller on the Switch.  As it's detected as a USB pro controller, you can also do full system button remapping.
  • The 8BitDo GBros Wireless Adapter ($20) lets you use any WIRED GameCube or Wii Classic Controller as a wireless Switch controller. One nice thing this lets you do is use the NES and SNES Mini controllers with your Switch.  Wavebird receivers don't fit in the plug, but I've been told you can fix that with an extension cord. You can also use this as a wired adapter.
  • The Mayflash Mini NS Adapter ($20) lets you use almost any wired (or bluetooth wireless) controller on the Switch.

Of the three, the 8Bitdo USB is the easiest to use, whereas the Mayflash one seems to support nearly anything I've plugged into it.

As an aside, I have the Logitech Gamecube Wheel, and I can't get that to work on the Switch using the Gbros, so I might be out of luck.

On 1/1/2021 at 2:49 AM, DavidD said:

Of the three, the 8Bitdo USB is the easiest to use, whereas the Mayflash one seems to support nearly anything I've plugged into it.

I can't remember why I picked the Mayflash over the 8Bitdo, I think they may have said that it had slightly less latency?