IGNORED

OS Checksum re-calculator?

Larry

Let me add a twist to the original question:

How are the Atari rom checksums calculated?

Are the checksum bytes themselves included in the calculated checksums? 

Edit: I was evidently interested in this about 10 years ago, so there is an earlier thread about this topic. Here is that thread:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rybags said:

You'd want to retain the checksum (validation from within the OS doesn't much matter) because there's still that odd bit of software (mainly Electronic Arts?) that does it's own validation (though possibly it just checks against hardcoded values for the 400/800 only)

But then you'd have to endure red ROM bars in the XL self test.... :dunce:

For those few titles I'd just temporarily switch back to the stock OS.

2 hours ago, thorfdbg said:

Not Basic, but here is a C source which does that:

checksum.c 1.6 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks. I probably can read the source code and figure out what it's doing, but do you by chance also have a compiled version in Atari format?  I haven't dabbled with C for probably 30 years. 

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Thanks. I probably can read the source code and figure out what it's doing, but do you by chance also have a compiled version in Atari format?  I haven't dabbled with C for probably 30 years. 

Larry why not go with the link that @DjayBee provided to the @HiassofT solution. I've used it under Linux with a virtual XP OS and it does the trick, no fuss no muss ;-) . Should work with most any Windows system, and probably also with Wine.

• 4 months later...

My Atari ROM Checker download has been enhanced with and the "Atari ROM Patcher" tool to display, compute and fix OS checks sums for Atari XL/XE computers. It can also be used to swap the floating-poing package. The tool is written in Atari BASIC and starts automatically when the disk is booted. Also, typos and swapped columns in the documentation have been fixed. Also, the disk images are now single density, so they also work on Atari 810.

EDIT: Fixed incorrect TRAP that would skip loading the FP ROM in case you enter a wrong file name.

atarirompatcher.png

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1