IGNORED

How to boxes work?

rbairos

Hi everyone.
Thinking of making a box for some prototypes I've finished.
There doesn't seem to be a standard go to template, and the ones I've found online just seem like a empty box with 6 sides.

Do the cartridges just slide around loose in them?
I vaguely recall more inner structure to them as a kid.

Thanks,
Rob.

EDIT:  Think I posted too quickly, I'm seeing more folds on some of these designs, but many appear to be just 6 sided like the Halo template?
Thanks.

Edited by rbairos
question answered.

11 hours ago, rbairos said:

some prototypes I've finished.

24 minutes ago, rbairos said:

It's not quite done

How does that work? :P

Consider me curious.  In answer to your question about the boxes, take apart an original Combat box and you'll see how it is done.  My cloned boxes are exactly the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rbairos said:

It's not quite done, but it involves some custom hardware and new graphics techniques.
I hope to present it soon.

Ok sure, but what unfinished prototype have you finished? Or are you talking about something you yourself programmed from scratch? 

10 hours ago, Shawn said:

Ok sure, but what unfinished prototype have you finished? Or are you talking about something you yourself programmed from scratch? 

Yah, it involves new kernel, PCB boards using 5v through-hole parts,  flashback-2 compatible,  cart mod pieces, labels, instruction book, and now the box which I'm currently laying out.
I've been working on it off-an-on over the last 3 years and would like to present it in its final form, likely early January.
Want to make sure its looks its best before I present.

10 hours ago, rbairos said:

I think there were separate 'inlays' involved in the packaging?

http://kevman3d.blogspot.com/2017/03/restoring-2600-collection-one-box-at.html

The cartridge tray in this example looks like this one. I ordered quite a few to replace some Retail Boxes that were wrecked and some home brews that could use an upgrade

8 hours ago, rbairos said:

Yah, it involves new kernel, PCB boards using 5v through-hole parts,  flashback-2 compatible,  cart mod pieces, labels, instruction book, and now the box which I'm currently laying out.
I've been working on it off-an-on over the last 3 years and would like to present it in its final form, likely early January.
Want to make sure its looks its best before I present.

OK thanks for the clarification on that. The way you initially posted it read as if you had completed a vintage prototype game and not that you where finishing your own project. Good luck and best results with your project :)