IGNORED

For people that need to be "off topic"

Yeah, I leave him snacks up there (And snacks for the chipmunks, squirrels, birds, and for a few months last summer a family of raccoons and an opossum were nightly visitors to my shed roof). And after disturbing a little mouse in my shed yesterday, I'm considering copying this guy.

And after playing more Vanguard on my PS4, the audio mix does seem off. While it's not bad, the music does seem rather quiet compared to the sound effects. But it doesn't surprise me since Digital Eclipse 2.0 doesn't have a great eye for little details. Close seems good enough for them, which is why I prefer to see emulation projects tackled by Hamster, Code Mystics, or M2.

Edited by Atariboy

I seem to have a mystery animal. It was eating the dry cat food I left out for the squirrels/birds and occasionally the cats (though both of my outdoor ones come inside to eat, usually). I did not get a good look at it, it was eating the cat food, saw me and ran.  At first I thought it was Shadow. But he rarely eats the dry outside and wouldn't run like that. Buster was napping nearby in a chair, he did not seem disturbed, so presumably it wasn't another cat. 

It was brown, with a brown bushy tail that wasn't too long, too short for a cat. I would guess raccoon except it seemed to be all brown, not stripey

That's impressive. The only really wild animal I've befriended is a woodpecker, who doesn't come that close to me, but will talk to me when he sees me and comes close when I put out the cat food.

The mystery animal has not shown up again, so I guess it will remain a mystery. 

I also have this turtle that has been coming around for probably 20 years, but he only comes by when the temperature is 90+ 

• 2 weeks later...

Hope those of us here that are Americans, are enjoying their Independence Day weekend. :)

And hopefully all of our non-American friends are enjoying their weekend as well, like AXM (I hope all is well for you, btw; We haven't seen you post since last winter). 

The last day for commerce operations in the PlayStation Store for the PSP's store client was originally announced to be July 2nd, at the end of March when the original plan was to shutter the PS Stores for PSP, PS3, and PSV.  That date stood even when the closing plans for PS3 and PSV Stores were canceled.  Then, on or just before July 2nd, an announcement at https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/important-notice updated the PSP PS Store's final date to July 6th (not a typo, as the Japan-region edition of that page specifically stated that this was an update to the previously announced July 2nd date).  As it is now that day, I thought I'd post some bits about the closure.

First, some photos of my final on-PSP purchases from the Store, on July 1st (before I knew about the extension).  I put Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection (Generation of Chaos 6 in Japan, the most recent game in the series and the only one developed by Sting) and inviZimals: The Lost Tribe (the third of the PSP's trilogy originating Sony/Novarama's inviZimals augmented reality IP) in my shopping cart:

IMG_3744.thumb.JPG.19ec947bfdbbab421933151a1bc604b9.JPG

The PSP's PS Store was "closed" in 2016, but in reality, it was just the user-friendly browsing functionality that was eliminated; you could still use the search engine to find games (or DLC add-ons, demos, game videos, PSP themes, etc.) and either download free things directly or put paid items into your shopping cart.  I had known about this hidden-ish capability for years, but I'm not sure I had actually bought anything, i.e., gone through the actual checkout process, until this exercise a few days ago.  Anyway, after funding my PSN wallet via PC (no PayPal option on PSP), I tried to check out, but for some reason, it kept insisting the password I was typing was wrong--this was clearly not true (the PSP's text entry screen--quick kudos to the full QWERTY on-screen keyboard that was implemented in a late 2008 firmware update--doesn't obscure whatever you're typing as a password, so I knew it was typed correctly), so I worked around it by disabling my standard "re-enter password at checkout" setting for the time being.  I still don't know what was going on with that error message, but after making that change in my settings, checkout was successful.  Proof positive that Sony's 2004 hardware (2007 in my case, since it's a PSP-2000) could still make an online game purchase in mid-2021!

IMG_3747.thumb.JPG.9e8037320cb7ef2c4f1219865bc4a790.JPG

I downloaded Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection (note the curious "Generation of Chaos 3" in the photo, which I suppose comes from the fact that it's only the third GoC game released in North America--echoes of ye olde Final Fantasy VI -> Final Fantasy III renumbering) directly to my PSP, but for the much larger inviZimals installation, I opted to avoid unnecessary battery usage and go the PS3-to-PSP transfer route later.

It's worth noting that while the Game side of the PSP's PS Store is deceptively blank, the Video side is not.  Check out the difference (I should note that the inversion of the Store's background gradient is there for real, not as a trick of inconsistent photography):

Game side -

IMG_3748.thumb.JPG.4e2d6e3b59e4af9ff96368fe91a15ce4.JPG

Video side -

IMG_3749.thumb.JPG.7dda6193bf96259841588fa498a55db1.JPG

Those menu selections on the Video side aren't empty, either.  They are entirely populated . . . with items as recent as late 2016, maybe early 2017.  Here's what's in New Releases:

IMG_3750.thumb.JPG.75758f75ac68d859a1e656ccdc79208c.JPG

Top TV Episodes has a bunch of The Flash episodes from its third season (2016-2017).  I should note that the same Video-side categories and the same outdated selection of items are also in the Video side of the PSV's PS Store.  Meanwhile, the PS3's PS Store totally lost its Video content a few years ago (outside of the ability to stream anything already in your account, from the My Videos selection next to the Download List).  This will all be moot soon, since the overall Store will be dropping commerce of movie and TV content at the end of August.

Another side note: I either never knew this or forgot, but the Download List within the PSP's PS Store (the icon that's second from the right in the top right corner) is actually isolated to the side of the Store you're on.  That is, if you're in the Game side, the Download List only shows your games, demos, DLC, etc., while if you're on the Video side, the List only shows your movies, TV episodes, etc.  It makes for less scrolling, and the PSV splits the List nicely like that as well in its Store (though you don't need to switch Store sides to do it there).  The PS3's Store, however, just gives you the whole List to scroll through.

Lastly, I'd like to mention that even though PSP content generally will still remain available to buy, through the PS3 and PSV's PS Stores, there are some things that are in the PSP's Store but not in the other two platforms' Stores.  I identified and downloaded around 150 free PSP wallpapers and 19 free music tracks (18 MP3s and 1 WAV, all from Sony games, while the wallpapers included third-party ones).  The Japan- and Asia-region PS3 PS Stores do have sections for wallpapers, but the North American PS3 PS Store does not (FYI, system themes can be found in the PS3 Store).  So, on this side of the planet, at least, the closure of the PSP PS Store really will completely eliminate availability of a few things.  Of course, some things were already gone--there was a wallpaper for Hoard, sure, but the actual Hoard game was not in the Store, apparently delisted at some point, just like the Tetris, Top Gun, and Days of Thunder Minis.  Also, the PSP's PS Store has the most complete collection of the old Pulse periodic promotional videos that PSN used to produce, hosted by Christina Lee.  The PSV's Store only has the last few, from 2012, while the PS3's Store . . . well, I can't find them there at all.  BUT, the PlayStation account on YouTube has virtually the same amount of Pulse content as the PSP's Store does (though it seems like each has something the other doesn't).

At the time of my posting this, the PSP's PS Store (North American) is still open, and you can still search for and put things in your shopping cart.  Really not sure when the shutdown is going to happen.  I'm kind of saddened, though, that my backup PSP, a PSP-3000 that's still sealed, will never be able to poke around in the PS Store and buy things--yeah, yeah, I pondered opening it up just to have it do something now, but that would be missing the point of it being my backup PSP.  My workhorse PSP, though, at least it got to connect to the Store for the last ~13 years.  Alas, the era is coming to an end.  I'll miss it!  Oh, the humanity!  Oh, the technology!

onmode-ky

So, at the time of my previous post, a little before 9 PM EDT on July 6th, the PSP PS Store was in the same state in had been in for the past 5 years.  No areas to browse, but you could still search for things and put them into the shopping cart (and as shown above, the Video side even had areas to browse).  However, I checked again at about 1 AM EDT of July 7th (i.e., a few hours later, and still July 6th in a non-trivial chunk of the world), and a single, significant thing had changed: you could no longer put anything into the shopping cart.  You could try either the Buy Now or Add to Cart buttons, but a second or so later, error 80551023 would pop up, and your cart would be empty (interestingly, Google reveals no occurrences of people complaining about this error before, ever, so it must be a rare animal).  At last check a few hours ago, meaning roughly 36 hours after I first saw the Store like this, it was still in the same state.  Obviously, it's possible that Sony is not done with however far they're going to close things down, but if the breaking of the shopping cart functionality is all that will be done to the PSP PS Store, that's relatively great.  We'll still be able to search the Store and read game descriptions and size requirements, and we'll still be able to download all the freebies--including the stuff that can't be found in the PSV and PS3 PS Stores.  I'll keep monitoring periodically for further changes to the PSP PS Store, but hopefully this state remains for a while.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:19 AM, JeremyR said:

I seem to have a mystery animal.

Maybe a chupacabra?

On 6/19/2021 at 5:47 PM, Atariboy said:

Chip brought along a friend today. Take a guess what his name will be. ;)

Chocolate.  No, Potato. Micro?  Oooh, Sahoy!  Endale would be too obvious.

On 6/22/2021 at 5:54 PM, JeremyR said:

That's impressive. The only really wild animal I've befriended is a woodpecker, who doesn't come that close to me, but will talk to me when he sees me and comes close when I put out the cat food.

The mystery animal has not shown up again, so I guess it will remain a mystery. 

I also have this turtle that has been coming around for probably 20 years, but he only comes by when the temperature is 90+ 

I too am impressed that you've managed to get a chipmunk, of all possible hyper-paranoid creatures, to allow you to touch it.  Did you lace that food with marijuana or opium, to mellow it out? ;) Maybe you're pulling a fast one on us, and it's just a stuffed chipmunk!  Also possible that you're not a real human.

JeremyR, that 20-year turtle visitor of yours, you're certain it's always the same turtle?  I realize turtles can live a long time, but er, personally, I wouldn't trust my own ability to differentiate between two turtles of the same species.  And 20 years!  How could it like you enough to stick around so long? ;) Then again, you've got a woodpecker conversation partner.

Oh, and a belated Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans.  There was fairly cool weather in my area on the holiday, for once.  I know it was the opposite for some other areas of the US.

onmode-ky

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, the closure of the shopping cart on July 6th/7th was not the end of Sony's changes to the PSP's PS Store.  I continued to check the [North American] Store's status periodically since then, and the first major change occurred sometime between my checks during the afternoons (EDT) of July 14th and July 15th: the Video side of the Store lost its main menu browsing categories, so that it ended up looking like the Game side, just a column of blank rectangles.  However, as with the Game side, you could still run searches and open up search results' item descriptions, and you could still download free things but not put anything into the shopping cart.  Also, going to the Video side for the first time in a PS Store session would pop up an 80551002 error, just like when you start the Store session and get the error with the initialization of the Game side; I'm guessing that error may be tied to having no browsing categories to display in the main menu.

I continued checking the PSP PS Store every day or two, and when I checked it sometime in the middle of this past week (i.e., maybe July 21st, plus or minus a day), there had been no further changes.  I didn't try visiting again until a bit after midnight today (July 25th), and whaddaya know, big, major change.  Sometime between the ~21st and the 25th of July, 2021, the search engine stopped working.  You can still enter the Store, go to the Video side, go back to the Game side, and look at your download lists for both sides . . . but if you try to run a search in either side, using any type of search (like "all," "title," "cast," etc.), error code 80551001 pops up, and there are no search results.  So, you can't see anything anymore in the PSP PS Store.  Even the Pulse videos, music tracks, and wallpapers that you could still download for free previously, and which you can't get in the PSV and PS3 PS Stores, all of that stuff is no longer available.  The PSP PS Store is, effectively, now empty. D-:

I was afraid that the shopping cart's closure wasn't the end of Sony's changes, and unfortunately, those fears were justified.  Let it be recorded that the PSP PS Store truly went silent in the fourth week of July 2021.

onmode-ky

I'm pretty sure it's the same turtle.  I think it's more likely that it's the same turtle coming back every year rather than a succession of different turtles. 

Anyway, the mystery animal is back.  It looks more like a cat (from the glimpses I get), but it acts more like a raccoon. 

Chip doesn't seem to want anything to do with me now. As he seemingly lost interest, Dale got extremely friendly and got to the point where he'd be climbing into my pocket for peanuts. But I burned some cardboard boxes a few days ago in-between Dale visits and had a pretty good size fire going when Dale stopped back by for another load of peanuts. He just sat on the deck railing, stared at the flames, and then took off and didn't return that afternoon. 5 or so days later and he's yet to come back for his peanuts. 

I hope the fire wasn't too off-putting for him. I liked having chipmunks hanging out and climbing on me for peanuts. 

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

Dale the chipmunk has been back lately. Just had some peanuts about 10 minutes ago. But yesterday one of my backyard gray squirrels really wanted to take peanuts from my hand out under my apple trees. He got within a foot of the peanut in my fingers about a half dozen times before chickening out each time. That particular squirrel was a no show when I was outside just now, but I'm optimistic that I may soon get the rare privilege of hand feeding a wild squirrel (Chipmunks are much easier).

• 2 weeks later...

I used to feed squirrels (not by hand but by just throwing stuff to them), but then they got so aggressive they started getting inside. And inside squirrels get into stuff, knock over things, and are incredibly difficult to get outside (I used a grabber thing that old people use to pick up stuff with)

My mystery animal has only been back once. It's just so fast I can't get a good look at it. It's crazy. I don't think it's a raccoon, they don't move that fast. But if it's a cat, why isn't Buster upset? Unless it's long lost brother or something...

Damn it, I really did not intend to be AWOL for so long.  Life just keeps finding things to get in the way.

I checked a few days ago, and the PSP's NA PS Store is still in the same state as it was in my last report; i.e., you can successfully enter the Store, but there are no browsing tiles in either the Game or Video sides, and any attempt at a search, in either side, returns nothing but that 80551001 error code (of course, both sides' download lists still work).  I did, however, find something had changed in the PSV's NA PS Store, specifically in the Video side of it.  Now, I should first note that https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/important-notice has shown for some time (since early July at the latest) that the PS Stores will be discontinuing movie and TV rentals and purchases "after August 31st."   In the early morning hours of August 25th, I happened to go into the Video side of the PSV's NA PS Store, and I was met with error NP-2244-2, "The connection to the server or device has been lost."  The screen was mostly blank, missing the browsing tiles that would normally be there.  However, the search engine still worked, and you could still open a search result and be met with rent and/or buy buttons for any non-free content.  Thus, its state mirrors that of the PSP's NA PS Store back in mid-July: error code when you go to the Video side and find it without browsing tiles (80551002 in the case of the PSP, as I noted in my last post), but search engine still allows you to make rentals and purchases.  However, based on that Important Notice message, I guess the ability to rent and buy things will go poof at the end of the month.

I've been trying to gear up to getting back up to date with plug-n-play data, and I came across the PasocomMini, a Japanese product line (currently with just one product, though a second is also listed on the line's website) developed by HAL Laboratory consisting of functional mini replicas of old Japanese computers, namely the PC-8001 and MZ-80C (both of which were Z80-compatible machines; the former mini is the currently available one).  You spend over 27,000 yen, plug the system into power and an HDMI display, and you can play the handful of included games, right? . . . No, because you also need to plug in a self-supplied keyboard and/or gamepad, not to mention the connector adapters you'll probably need.  Just check out this page: https://www.pcmini.jp/product_pc-8001/peripherals/ .  If it doesn't come with its own controller, then I don't think it can rightfully be called "plug-n-play."  So, I won't be including it in my data after all.

I've also been monitoring the number of games in the PS3's North American PS Store, and I've seen the total count (as shown when you first enter the Games category, which supposedly includes all games for all platforms in the Store) drop from 226x back a couple of months ago to 2228 as of the beginning of this weekend.  Mind you, though, I have to say "supposedly" because that "complete" listing definitely omits some games that you can nonetheless still find from the search engine.  Still, whatever it actually includes, the number has dropped by no small amount, and I have no idea (besides the Namco Museum PS1 Classics) what has recently been eliminated.  I should note, incidentally, that the Namco Museum PS1 Classics are at least still in the Japanese and Asian PS3 PS Stores.

Have any of you gotten a TG16/PCE/CGfx Mini, which Konami produced last year?

On 8/25/2021 at 2:07 AM, JeremyR said:

I used to feed squirrels (not by hand but by just throwing stuff to them), but then they got so aggressive they started getting inside. And inside squirrels get into stuff, knock over things, and are incredibly difficult to get outside (I used a grabber thing that old people use to pick up stuff with)

My mystery animal has only been back once. It's just so fast I can't get a good look at it. It's crazy. I don't think it's a raccoon, they don't move that fast. But if it's a cat, why isn't Buster upset? Unless it's long lost brother or something...

A squirrel got into my family's apartment back when I was a kid, maybe 6 years old.  The incident included my mom (or me?) standing on a table to get away from it, because it was hyper and just about ransacking the place.  I remember trying to get it out from behind the refrigerator, and I think we finally managed to get it out through a window.  As for your mystery animal, do you happen to have a sematary nearby?

Atariboy, if you really want to get rid of your peanuts, you don't need an animal to take them from you. ;P

onmode-ky

P.S. Hey, hey, this is my 888th post!

I have not seen any new Mini systems in a couple of years. I still haven't found a C64 which is actually full sized.  Sort of related, though, we seem to be carrying very tiny toy TVs that have clips of old shows on them. I do not understand why a child of today would want to watch clips from a 50 year old TV show on a one inch screen, but then I don't understand the appeal of a lot of things, toys or otherwise.  Like that Blippi guy.  Or that Ryan kid. Why do they have toys? One is creepy and the other is a little doofus.

We (St. Louis) just had a visit by a steam locomotive (Big Boy #4014) and it caused a big stir, something like 50,000 people showed up to see it.

I bought a TurboGrafx-16 Mini last year when they reappeared after going out of stock for a few weeks earlier that summer. Very well done little system with few issues. I even bought some additional controllers for it over the course of 2021 (The Euro CoreGrafx style 8BitDo wireless controller and Hori's wired PC Engine Mini controller). I won't be of any help though identifying chipsets or anything, but if it doesn't involve opening the system up, I'd be happy to provide any information you might want for your site. 

A Union Pacific Big Boy returning to steam was a fantasy of mine ever since I was a young child. Was supposed to be impractical and even the head of Union Pacific's steam program dismissed it during his long tenure from the mid 1980's until the late 2000's (Late summer of 1959 btw was when the last active Big Boys saw revenue service before a recession and a growing fleet of diesels and gas turbines idled them).

The day the better part of a decade ago when Union Pacific announced the project to return one of the 8 preserved survivors to steam (Out of a class of 25 locomotives in total) is one of the most memorable days I've had in recent years. That they followed it through to conclusion in 2019 remains amazing to me. I just hope to be able to get to see it in steam one of these days. I've only seen the static example preserved at Steamtown in Scranton. 

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 weeks later...

Yet another month-plus gone by without a post from me. :( I'm terribly sorry.  But anyway, at the time of this post, I am still alive (not terribly sorry about that).

On 9/1/2021 at 4:24 AM, Atariboy said:

I bought a TurboGrafx-16 Mini last year when they reappeared after going out of stock for a few weeks earlier that summer. Very well done little system with few issues. I even bought some additional controllers for it over the course of 2021 (The Euro CoreGrafx style 8BitDo wireless controller and Hori's wired PC Engine Mini controller). I won't be of any help though identifying chipsets or anything, but if it doesn't involve opening the system up, I'd be happy to provide any information you might want for your site.

I asked about the TG16/PCE/CGfx Mini earlier not so much to ask about internals or contents but because the price of the PC Engine Mini at Amazon Japan was/is currently well below MSRP--and these are ones sold from/shipped by Amazon Japan itself, not some random Marketplace seller, so they're definitely not bootlegs or scams.  In addition, the "well below MSRP" even applies after the international express shipping (DHL) charge, which was 2380 yen (at current exchange rates, under US$22).  If you bought one from Amazon Japan, shipped by itself, right now, I think a PC Engine Mini would come to somewhere between $90 and $95, slightly less than the system's 10,500-yen MSRP.  So, if you've been thinking about getting a PC Engine Mini, now seems like a pretty good time.  At American and European Amazons, I only know (thanks to our resident Italian PSPMinis member, AxelMill) of Amazon Italy still carrying original stock at a near-original price, in this case 110 euros, slightly above the 100-euro MSRP--but this is before shipping cost and is well above the Amazon Japan price.  Anyway, I bought a PC Engine Mini a few weeks ago from Amazon Japan, and thanks to amortization of the shipping charge across a two-item order, the amount I paid for the Mini came out to just over $82, a few bucks less than I paid for my SNES Classic Edition back in 2017.  Not bad at all for a system with way more games than Nintendo's second plug-n-play.  The other item in the order was Vol. 01 Special Edition of Macross Delta, the 2016 Macross TV series; I've never seen it before despite being a Macross fan, and I know it's unlikely to get licensed for North America anytime soon, given that neither of the two Macross TV series before it (1994's Macross 7 and 2008's Macross Frontier) have ever come west.  Similarly, I got a few Blu-rays of Macross Frontier back about a decade ago, among my first Blu-rays ever, taking advantage of Japan's Blu-ray region being the same as the US's.  But going back to the PC Engine Mini, I have predictably not yet opened mine yet--which indeed also means I don't know for sure if I have a compatible USB power adapter yet.

I'm still not really back when it comes to plug-n-play research, but I did discover that in mid-August, an Amiga plug-n-play was announced, the TheA500 Mini (which the maker, Retro Games Ltd. of THEC64 fame, prefers to write as "THEA500 Mini"), for intended release early next year.  It's planned to come with 25 games built in (at least some of which appeared in the Minis program, namely Pinball Dreams and Speedball 2 of the titles announced so far), plus the ability to add more.

Some of you may recall that I've used my mother's Apple account to play some iOS games before, since she had an iDevice long before I did (the phone I use now was, in fact, handed down from her).  My own account only has two games, both gotten and played in 2018.  I counted up the amount of games I've played on her account in the last ten years, and at twelve, it's kind of laughable that it's a higher number than the count of games I own for each of several game systems I own myself (or don't own but for which I have games).  Then again, only one of those iOS games, plus an expansion for another game, actually cost money, and even then, the expenditures only totaled about $5.  I paid more than that for my cheapest GBA game, Tales of Phantasia (new; $8 in late 2006).

Has anyone had to handle a PSP screen in which a vertical section is duplicating the graphics of the same width of space right next to it?  My PSP-2000 started doing that a few months ago, at the left edge. :( With my PSP being my all-time favorite game system, I'm a bit sad about it.

onmode-ky

P.S. I just discovered that I'm apparently blocked on Twitter by CheapAssGamer.  It looks like I only ever interacted with them twice there, once in 2012 and once in 2016, so if it's the latter that resulted in the blocking, they must really not like it when people correct their English grammar.  Hmm.

P.P.S. Forgot to mention: the North American PS Store for PSV did indeed drop video content commerce operations after August ended.  Specifically, the whole Video side of the Store disappeared.  I was still in it when it went bye-bye, so I could still see that certain product entries were suddenly lacking Buy and Rent buttons, and also some product metadata, but eventually, the search engine stopped giving me results to check on.  Previously cached search results even auto-reloaded themselves into zero results.  The march of progress.

Edited by onmode-ky
Added P.P.S.

I think you'll be pleased with your PC Engine Mini.

You lose out on Salamander (Both the original PC Engine port and a new more arcade accurate port by M2 that was included as a hidden extra) and gain two PC Engine games that weren't considered English friendly for the average westerner that can't read Japanese. But otherwise the lineup is 1:1 between regions, with the only minor difference being that the PC Engine Mini got the PC Engine version of Splatterhouse (Your character will have a white mask) instead of the lawyer-friendly TurboGrafx-16 version we received (A red mask that doesn't look like a hockey mask). 

Edited by Atariboy

• 1 month later...