IGNORED

im looking for an old obscure console. i think it was a pc engine clone?

xxx

i bought it second hand in a bric a brac store in about 92. it had large carts, i think they were green. it may have been a prototype as i cant find a picture of it anywhere on the web. i had pacland for it an 2 other games. im sure it was by nec. the cartridges were really loose and it would crash if you moved it.  

Well that's intriguing, since clones usually use the same format as the original systems. That being said, there's a PC Engine clone featuring two cart ports, discussed here at AA years ago:

But of course it was not done by NEC, so what you're talking about sounds a lot more like a prototype indeed. Very weird.

What intrigues me is the cart thing. AFAIK NEC never used any kidn of carts, beingthat Hu-Cards are based on BeeCards.

I would help if we knew where (country) that was, too.

PC-engine clones were rare, but they existed in Asia.

A clone outside of Asia would be quite an oddity.

Also, I don't recall that "prototypes" of the TG-16 included turning the Hu-cards into cartridges, but that can't be ruled off (and if they prototyped it with having Hu-card hapazardly tapped in a plastic shell, that probably explain the poor quality of the contact).

Clones of PC-Engine Hucards also looked like small carts, but with the PCB juttign out to be used in real PC-Engine.

https://www.facebook.com/SuperEngine2/posts/2213806705366808/

Found that page, maybe you'll find your console in them?

Edited by CatPix

Those grey carts for the Super Engine/Galaxy are the one of the only PC-E "carts" I've ever seen, and they're just hueys in a case, I think?

I have Pac-Land in "Tour Vision" version, which is kind of a cart, but they're white, with exposed pins, have labels, and plug into an exposed arcade style PCB, so I doubt that's it?

TourVision – like a Playchoice for PC Engine | System11 - blog

Catpix...thank you for that page. I'm absolutely drooling over some of that stuff. Goddamn do I need a Sodipeng controller, for some reason.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Those grey carts for the Super Engine/Galaxy are the one of the only PC-E "carts" I've ever seen, and they're just hueys in a case, I think?

I have Pac-Land in "Tour Vision" version, which is kind of a cart, but they're white, with exposed pins, have labels, and plug into an exposed arcade style PCB, so I doubt that's it?

TourVision – like a Playchoice for PC Engine | System11 - blog

Catpix...thank you for that page. I'm absolutely drooling over some of that stuff. Goddamn do I need a Sodipeng controller, for some reason.

nope, its not that. carts were more like 8" x 4" 

Edited by xxx

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

What makes you sure it was by NEC? Do you remember a logo or something? Usually, when I can't find something, I try to question my first assumptions...

not 100% i think the logo was on the device 

Edited by xxx

Ok. For reference Neo Geo cartridges are 19 x 13.6 cm (7.5 x 5.4 inches), and a standard VIC-20 cartridge (which some people consider to be among the bigger ones for home use) is almost 14x8 cm (5.5 x 3 inches).

I suppose it can't be entirely ruled out that either there were Neo Geo knock-offs and that you might mistake SNK for NEC, or that there were TG-16 clones using Neo Geo sized cartridges...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carlsson said:

Ok. For reference Neo Geo cartridges are 19 x 13.6 cm (7.5 x 5.4 inches), and a standard VIC-20 cartridge (which some people consider to be among the bigger ones for home use) is almost 14x8 cm (5.5 x 3 inches).

I suppose it can't be entirely ruled out that either there were Neo Geo knock-offs and that you might mistake SNK for NEC, or that there were TG-16 clones using Neo Geo sized cartridges...

the games were definitely not neo geo

And were the graphisms up to PC-Engine specs?

There were knock-off consoles of early 80's systems with rather gigantic carts with bright colors and dubious quality, but you wouldn't mistake the graphics with PC-Engine (or even Colecovision) ones for a second.

console-jeux-video-mpt-05-itmc-console-n

(it doesn't looks like it, but the console was probably designed for kids and is absolutely oversized, the cartridges are a bit larger than NES ones, and twice the thickness)

On an unrelated note :

P1000421.thumb.JPG.c92e851c1bb67012e00df25f1e3b5181.JPG

:D

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

Pac-Land was released for the PC Engine, but even the arcade original is not that pretty, and it would make a lot more sense if it was the Famicom version since most clones are based on the Famicom... That being said, it was also released on several computers (MSX, C64, etc.) that can use cartridges. Maybe it was a consolized X68000? ?

On 12/29/2020 at 10:10 PM, roots.genoa said:

Pac-Land was released for the PC Engine, but even the arcade original is not that pretty, and it would make a lot more sense if it was the Famicom version since most clones are based on the Famicom... That being said, it was also released on several computers (MSX, C64, etc.) that can use cartridges. Maybe it was a consolized X68000? ?

Did that ever existed? the 68k computers were extremely expensive by the early 90's, cloning them would still make them quite costly given the hardware installed inside. I can't hardly see a clone console manufacturer going for a 68k clone without advertising it heavily (in the vein of the Laser 128 hinting at Apple II compatibility) If I had to bet on a consolized computer, I'm more go with MSX (to have the required graphics). There was one "official" consolized version, and being made of generic parts (for the MSX1) it would be easier to make a console clone of. MSX 1 support 2 buttons joysticks as well.

I don't see impossible that Zemmix consoles were cloned; and Zemmix existed covering all the MSX standards so we could see "PC-Engine" levels of graphics with a consolized MSX2.

(tho I think it's a dubious option at best.)