IGNORED

Sidecar/PE Box address conflicts?

KG7PFS

RS-232 ports are too useful to be so hard to get. The ti sidecar interface has two ports, the PE box interface has one, and a parralel port. Is it possible to use both at once? Are there any problems I should know about if I try to use both sidecar stuff and a PE box?

Yes but you have to move the peb to be a different address for rs232 3/4.

This requires a change in the card pc board.

http://ftp.whtech.com/datasheets%20and%20manuals/Hardware/Texas%20Instruments/PHP1220%20RS232%20Card/2nd%20RS232%20card%20in%20Pbox.pdf

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow, that's easy enough.

Is the Y-cable only for the PE box card?

If I install a 512k-8Mb RAM card, but no 32k expantion, Will I have 16k or 48k RAM, plus RAMdisk?

Is there any other sidecar device that will interfere with a PE Box device?

11 minutes ago, KG7PFS said:

Wow, that's easy enough.

Is the Y-cable only for the PE box card?

If I install a 512k-8Mb RAM card, but no 32k expantion, Will I have 16k or 48k RAM, plus RAMdisk?

Is there any other sidecar device that will interfere with a PE Box device?

you can only have one 32k memory expansion in your system

you can only have one disk controller unless you modify one to be a different CRU and disk names

the y cable is for the peb card as it's got 2 rs232 ports in one connector, while the sidecar has two connectors so there's no need

I'm not sure what 512k-8mb ram card means, can you give me a link or example of what card it is? manufacturer?

The maximum ram that can be addressed in a 4/a is 

16k VDP RAM

32k memory expansion RAM

8k cartridge port RAM 

Some memory cards (myarc, corcomp) provide 32k and then have only specialty ram usable for ramdisk etc..

SAMS provides 32k and has additional ram that can be bank switched in 4k increments into the 32k memory space.. 

Cartridges use more than 8k by bank switching as well.. 

• Like 1

On address conflicts in general between sideport and PEB items, there is one thing to always remember: if the device performs the same function (32K, p-Code, Video Controller, RS-232, Disk Controller--and yes, all five of these exist in both variants), they will fight each other if you try to connect both to your system. The exception is the RS-232, as the PEB RS-232 has the capability to be moved to a different address (as already noted by others here). That said, you can mix peripheral types all you want, as long as you take care not to connect two devices with the same function and CRU address.

• Like 1