IGNORED

VCS BIOS Related Discussions

andymanone

Did anyone know the VCS Default BIOS Password for changing the UEFI security settings?

I get access to the BIOS, but booting from an USB-CD-Drive is actually blocked/prohibited...

Thx, andY

1609185981559.JPEG

1609185432072.JPEG

1609185432253.JPEG

1609185431942.JPEG

Edited by justclaws
merged in similar threads

I found another Masterpassword-Database for AMI based BIOS too, but unfortunately, nothing of them works....

My last idea is, to remove the CMOS battery (CR2032) , but I guess this mainboard uses NVRAM, so the batttery is only for time & date not for BIOS PW reset...

Maybe, some dedicated VCS developers reading this thread?

Any help is highly recommend ?!

Thx,

andY

Edited by andymanone

• 2 weeks later...

I got in touch with Atari support about the same question and this is the statement I got back.

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide you with this information at the moment. As soon as it becomes available to us we will get in touch with you.

As soon as it becomes available?... Did they lose piece of paper the password was scribbled on? Frustrating to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The only way to change any bios settings right now is to shorten two pins of the bios chip on the motherboard at the right moment during boot. After that you dont have to enter a password. I was not able to extract the password, but I was able to change bios settings like legacy boot or virtualization (for virtualbox). The procedure is not recommended, because it can destroy your VCS. Here's a screenshot of the BIOS!

Atari VCS BIOS.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Charles Darwin said:

Is it allowed here in this forum to post any hacking manuals? Could any of the admins let me know, please?

I guess, it´s okay, if you only post a picture of the two solder points on the motherboard, without any further explanation ?.

Was it J41 or J43?

Edited by andymanone

It's not about jumpers...you have to connect the pins of the bios chip. If you connect the wrong pins, you might kill your VCS. I warned you...it's a brute force method!!! I am no expert just a hobbyist!

Took me several hours, but finally I found a way:

Locate the BIOS chip on the motherboard (photo attached). The two pins you have to connect with e.g. a paper clip are marked with red dots.

Connect a keyboard to the VCS.

Switch it on.

Press the ESC button until the (limited) front page of the BIOS appears. Go to the line, where it says setup-utility. Dont press enter yet.

Now shorten the two pins of the bios chip

Next...press the Enter key on your keyboard...and continue shortening the two pins...for about 10 seconds. Stop connecing the pins.

After a few seconds the original BIOS opens...without a password.

It always displays the standard VCS BIOS settings regardless of what you changed the last time. But if you change a setting (e.g. UEFI boot to legacy boot) and press F10 afterwards and restart...the changes are persistent.

You cannot change the password though. It would need some more hacking...but as long as you just want to adjust a few settings once...the solution is good enough.

Again...dont do it...it can destroy your VCS ;-)

Bios-Chip connect red dots.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Charles Darwin said:

Let me know...how it worked. Greetings to my northern neighbor! ;-)

I´ll try it tomorrow and let you know if it works ?!

(It´s important for me, to enable VT for my NOX app.)

Greetings going back :cool:!

56 minutes ago, Charles Darwin said:

Is it allowed here in this forum to post any hacking manuals? Could any of the admins let me know, please?

I don't have a problem with it, as long as it doesn't harm the company (E.G. loss of sales), for me this falls under the right to repair.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Charles Darwin said:

It's not about jumpers...you have to connect the pins of the bios chip. If you connect the wrong pins, you might kill your VCS. I warned you...it's a brute force method!!! I am no expert just a hobbyist!

Took me several hours, but finally I found a way:

Locate the BIOS chip on the motherboard (photo attached). The two pins you have to connect with e.g. a paper clip are marked with red dots.

Connect a keyboard to the VCS.

Switch it on.

Press the ESC button until the (limited) front page of the BIOS appears. Go to the line, where it says setup-utility. Dont press enter yet.

Now shorten the two pins of the bios chip

Next...press the Enter key on your keyboard...and continue shortening the two pins...for about 10 seconds. Stop connecing the pins.

After a few seconds the original BIOS opens...without a password.

It always displays the standard VCS BIOS settings regardless of what you changed the last time. But if you change a setting (e.g. UEFI boot to legacy boot) and press F10 afterwards and restart...the changes are persistent.

You cannot change the password though. It would need some more hacking...but as long as you just want to adjust a few settings once...the solution is good enough.

Again...dont do it...it can destroy your VCS ;-)

Bios-Chip connect red dots.jpg

Hmm, strange, 

everything done, like explained.

To avoid to shorten some other pins on the mainboard by a mistake, first I´ve soldered two wires with a button to the proper pins.

Than I´ve done the procedure you´ve explained, while pressing the Button (and press Enter) a black screen appears,

but if I release (after 10 till 15 seconds the pressed Button / short the pins), the "Enter Current  Password" screen appears...

I repeated this procedure several times, same result...?

Cherss,

andY

1610798785249.JPEG

1610798785017.JPEG

Edited by andymanone