IGNORED

VCS BIOS Related Discussions

andymanone

20 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

That is certainly a valid option, I thought we were talking about porting.

Nah, I was specifically asking about all the Indie devs that have already released on Linux, as that would be really simple to just create a json or xml or whatever they use to display a game on the AtariOS screen.

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

What they really need, is a good exclusive title, that will make people want to go buy the console.

Almost like a really good exclusive OS that is totally not able to be copied out of the box and used on any other machine? :) but I know what you're saying and it's bound to happen, it just won't be a very good game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

Almost like a really good exclusive OS that is totally not able to be copied out of the box and used on any other machine?

I think you have a pretty good idea about what is involved with that, aside from (wo)manpower.  If the motherboard is designed properly, this could be done after the fact, but again, I do not believe they are interested in being anything other than a niche product (which is fine).  Or has anyone offered to buy them out?  All of the backers money went into production and salaries, pretty good guess, I would think.  Now what?  Any investors banging on the door?  Does anyone even know, aside from "I read it on the internet, it must be true!"?  Do current stock investors have access to their strategy?  Are you wearing underpants?  Is this thing on?  Hello, operator?

I think they should give out all the source and let people go crazy with it, I think it is their last chance to make it something like an expensive PI with more power.  I bet the "open architecture" would make many hackers drool and can lead to people making their own bootable games, that you won't just be able to run on a PC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I think you have a pretty good idea about what is involved with that, aside from (wo)manpower.  If the motherboard is designed properly, this could be done after the fact, but again, I do not believe they are interested in being anything other than a niche product (which is fine).  Or has anyone offered to buy them out?  All of the backers money went into production and salaries, pretty good guess, I would think.  Now what?  Any investors banging on the door?  Does anyone even know, aside from "I read it on the internet, it must be true!"?  Do current stock investors have access to their strategy?  Are you wearing underpants?  Is this thing on?  Hello, operator?

I think they should give out all the source and let people go crazy with it, I think it is their last chance to make it something like an expensive PI with more power.  I bet the "open architecture" would make many hackers drool and can lead to people making their own bootable games, that you won't just be able to run on a PC.

It's almost already open architecture.  Making a bootable game would be easy, though I don't know what you could really do (outside of including a unique DRM) to prevent you from being able to copy the game to a running OS and play it.  Then again I guess you could get TempleOS on a USB stick with secure boot signed keys and have it boot directly too it without people likely being able to run it on random systems.

And no, why would I wear underpants?

• Like 2

Was thinking earlier of seeing if I could figure out a 'side-load' method, but realized I couldn't do it with Steam games as they are DRM'd from Steam itself usually, so figured I could grab from GOG's Linux games, and see if I can figure out how the AtariOS games are 'seen' on the launch screen.

If I get some time to work on it I'll post results in a new thread, most likely.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2021 at 12:15 AM, CPUWIZ said:

How would you personally approach developers, convincing them that it is worth their time and effort?

1.) You can't guarantee hardware sale numbers.

2.) You can't promise that each piece of hardware will purchase said game.

3.) You can't throw money at them, since you don't have it.

4.) Nobody, except nerds know about it, zero advertising, not even during some crap tv-show on a ghetto channel.

That leaves smoke & mirrors and rainbow unicorn farts, if you don't want to call it something more common.   So what would you try?

How about:

"We see you are doing a Linux port of your game,  why not put it on the VCS store?  We don't have that many games which guarantees your game will come up in almost every search,  meaning you will sell enough to pay the intern who ported it and have at least enough left over for a six-pack of beer and a bologna sandwich!"

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kevin34ct said:

It seems ETA Prime on YouTube was able to get into the BIOS with the Password:  Piano18482

Try this out.  Also change the BIOS password or remove it completely.

You´re really, really late to the party ?...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Middleman said:

I thought to let you guys know, if anyone is planning on booting other OSes I found that the VCS's BIOS actually is only 32-bit firmware. So you may run into some troubles with 64-bit versions (just so you know).

Haven't people been running 64-bit OSes so far?   A 32-bit OS would generally limit you to using 4Gb RAM I think

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zzip said:

Haven't people been running 64-bit OSes so far?   A 32-bit OS would generally limit you to using 4Gb RAM I think

Many guys here (including me) have installed a couple of different 64Bit-OS´s successfully on the VCS in the past ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, andymanone said:

Many guys here (including me) have installed a couple of different 64Bit-OS´s successfully on the VCS in the past ?

Yeah, you can literally look at ANY motherboard and the UEFI is going to be 32bit.  I don't think anyone has ever built a 64bit UEFI, there is no point in it.  It's not like the UEFI needs more than 4gb and typically making something 64bit will take more space (I've never understood why, but compiling the same software as 32bit and 64bit, the binaries for 64bit are bigger). 

On 1/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, reidacus said:

I got in touch with Atari support about the same question and this is the statement I got back.

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide you with this information at the moment. As soon as it becomes available to us we will get in touch with you.

As soon as it becomes available?... Did they lose piece of paper the password was scribbled on? Frustrating to say the least.

Sounds like an automated rseponse.

• 3 weeks later...