IGNORED

VCS BIOS Related Discussions

andymanone

That's frustrating... I literally just bought RAM and was planning on updating the BIOS.

I know in the past there's a few things you can do... usually the CMOS/UEFI has a default password by the manufacturer. If anyone knows who the manufacturer is, you can use Google search/hack codes to pull it out of text files on file shares. There's also several other applications you can download which will pull the information from the address location on the CMOS where the password is stored ... that said, I don't know how that affects the new secure boot feature. Does the Atari VCS have a TPM module and all that crap?

Just now, o187em said:

Anyone having issues with the update installing?  I keep getting message saying update is downloading in the background but never actually installs.  If I try to update manually I keep getting update failed error.

Do you mean you tried to do system update from the System menu? I never tried that.

The system update ran automatically at startup and completed no problem, first time.

However, because I had changed the BIOS setting relating to secure boot only, I got into a boot loop for the BIOS update.
That is, it tried to do it, but could not, and rebooted, and then tried again. (I could have bypassed it but wanted the improvements.) 
I reverted that change and then it completed OK. Anybody changing the BIOS settings of course needs to know how to revert back.

Maybe you have something like that with the BIOS? It's not clear to me where and how it does not work from what you wrote. Sorry.

1 hour ago, justclaws said:

Do you mean you tried to do system update from the System menu? I never tried that.

The system update ran automatically at startup and completed no problem, first time.

However, because I had changed the BIOS setting relating to secure boot only, I got into a boot loop for the BIOS update.
That is, it tried to do it, but could not, and rebooted, and then tried again. (I could have bypassed it but wanted the improvements.) 
I reverted that change and then it completed OK. Anybody changing the BIOS settings of course needs to know how to revert back.

Maybe you have something like that with the BIOS? It's not clear to me where and how it does not work from what you wrote. Sorry.

It’s the system update that fails. Secure boot is enabled. Fails on step 2 of 3.

0933B758-F4C7-4792-8487-941E52C97F1A.jpeg

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, o187em said:

It’s the system update that fails. Secure boot is enabled. Fails on step 2 of 3.

0933B758-F4C7-4792-8487-941E52C97F1A.jpeg

Definitely create a ticket with support.  Include this pic.  They should be able to walk you through it and get it accomplished.

20 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

Definitely create a ticket with support.  Include this pic.  They should be able to walk you through it and get it accomplished.

I received a reply from Atari support apparently this is a known issue.  In case anyone else needs them these  are the steps they suggested I take.  I haven’t tried them myself yet. 

image.png

• Like 2

I have been working on this problem for the past few days trying to find a solution.  The previous method of exposing the BIOS password was removed in the BIOS itself. The new .20 update actually removed the EFI Variable

SystemSupervisorPW

which was storing the password in cleartext.  While a new variable showed up called

AdminPassword

it does not have readable data, despite trying several attack vectors to retrieve something from it.

My next attempt to unlock the system was to try and unlock the BIOS itself. Atari has locked it down at the BIOS level using an EFI feature called SMM (I think?). I have experimented with trying to disable SecureBoot and other settings from UEFI Shell, with no success. Each attempt to write to a variable results in a fail, which means the variables are all Read Only or being blocked by the BIOS itself. 

SO without the password, I don't think there is anything more we can do. I for one find this to be complete B.S. as the whole point of "PC MODE" is to install an alternative OS.  But now, it is ONLY an OS that has SecureBoot capability. This eliminates systems like Lakka or Batocera and others that have not signed or shimed their kernels and bootloaders. 

Anyone else tried anything with different results?

Edited by RetroAxis
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RetroAxis said:

The new .20 update actually removed the EFI Variable

SystemSupervisorPW

which was storing the password in cleartext.

8 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Wow, google drive. ?

These are clearly the hallmarks of quality.  It's just that it's spelled 'kwality' in this instance.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:30 AM, Osxster said:

Is there an easy way to block this update?  I am afraid to turn on my VCS now given it could update it self and if I wanted to get into my Bios I won’t be able to.  Preferably a method without blocking out Atari Store or anything else like that out.

try booting with no  internet