IGNORED

VCS BIOS Related Discussions

andymanone

On 3/7/2021 at 5:06 AM, imajeff said:

As a professional EET, I will point out that the problem in shorting pin 2 to pin 6 is this shorts outputs to outputs. This causes invalid voltage levels therefore invalid data (and therefore no password available)...

The question is not will you make a mistake in shorting the right pins but how long before the over-powered chip(s) quit working and you lose normal functionality after removing the short.

Trust us, we are professional scientists ?

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 3:48 PM, EuroGamer said:

Update : Atari has apparently said on discord that the new password is temporary and :

"Our goal is to provide access to the BIOS. We know the community wants that access, and we are working on some solutions that give more experienced users the access they need ... also trying to come up with a solution that keeps less experienced users away from things that could brick the VCS."

"Changing the BIOS password was something we felt we needed to do, but did not really want to do, and we see it as a temporary step.

Our warranty has language in it re: hardware upgrades ... upgrading the RAM or adding an SSD does not void the warranty, but any damage you might do by accident while performing the upgrades is not covered by warranty. We just need to add similar language around the BIOS ... the goal is to allow folks back in soon ...

we want to make the PC experience as open as possible and this has been an active discussion within our team. We have a long-term solution in mind, but are also working to get a short term solution in your hands so you can get back into the BIOS. Just want everyone to know that this is on our radar and we are taking the request seriously."

So, good news it seems!

Good news that they are working on properly granting us access to the BIOS.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 5:18 PM, reidacus said:

I got in touch with Atari support about the same question and this is the statement I got back.

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide you with this information at the moment. As soon as it becomes available to us we will get in touch with you.

As soon as it becomes available?... Did they lose piece of paper the password was scribbled on? Frustrating to say the least.

Lol, like the support guys have anything to do with the engineers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leech said:

Ha, when our support tries to do engineering work, Very Bad Things happen.

Yeah, about that.

Used to work at a place where someone got the bright idea that support was the same as engineering, just with smaller salaries.  'Cos, y'know, it's all just computers and whatnot, right?

After I spent 19 hours on a call with Microsoft recovering an Exchange DB that Sparky the Wonder Supportgineer had hosed doing God-knows-what followed by a visit to the CEO and CFO, that changed.  Fortunately, I was only the IT Manager they hadn't listened to.  My boss (the director) was the one who had pushed the whole idea of having the entire department do the same work.  She was demoted from that position back into support, from whence she came.

So glad I've left tech.  That's a thin edge of the wedge story from years ago, and it only keeps getting dumber.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 9:10 PM, moonchilddave said:

Coming up on 2 months from their statement... are we any closer to a resolution?  I just received my VCS this week, and I'm ready to go!  LOL

What do you want to do?

Added: (just ideas, because I found these things useful)
- As well as the games from the VCS store, which I am enjoying... I also did these.
- install Windows 10, on a USB drive.
- install Ubuntu, and Fedora, on USB drives.
- try emulators installed on Windows and/or Ubuntu.
- use the VCS for streaming games via Stadia, GeForce, Plex Arcade, or Antstream.
YMMV

Edited by justclaws
Note about useful things mine already does, even without the BIOS password.

45 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

presumably have it do something useful.

Exactly... Something along these lines... and have it boot directly to that.  I'm also upgrading the RAM w/16G @ 3200MHz and installing a 1Tb SSD.

https://youtu.be/ts5htHaThwQ

I got that same message from tadream with the same thing - I have not tried it yet.

Edited by moonchilddave

So that password does work, after you let the VCS run thru the latest update process, including what appears to be an update to the BIOS (the password did not work before the updates).  I disabled the secure boot option and have been playing with Batocera, running it off a uSD card in a USB adaptor.  Can't get WiFi to work though, the internal WiFi doesn't come up at all, tried two USB dongles, both show networks, but they never connect even after entering username/password.  Luckily I have a ethernet WiFi box nearby, so got it connected that way.

I'm guessing there is some way to either turn off the need for a password in BIOS, or at least change it to something easier to remember?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Erzak said:

So that password does work, after you let the VCS run thru the latest update process, including what appears to be an update to the BIOS (the password did not work before the updates).  I disabled the secure boot option and have been playing with Batocera, running it off a uSD card in a USB adaptor.  Can't get WiFi to work though, the internal WiFi doesn't come up at all, tried two USB dongles, both show networks, but they never connect even after entering username/password.  Luckily I have a ethernet WiFi box nearby, so got it connected that way.

I'm guessing there is some way to either turn off the need for a password in BIOS, or at least change it to something easier to remember?

In the Bios settings, you can change your password (I just leave mine blank so no password will be needed) Go to Security and then Set Supervisor password.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2021 at 8:48 PM, Erzak said:

So yesterday, someone sent me a message here saying the new password is: 

Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

I don't know who this person (tadream ?) is, and haven't tried it.  I expect it's fake. 

Thank you so much! :)