IGNORED

VCS BIOS Related Discussions

andymanone

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

Not that I see people changing the VCS into a Workstation, but AlmaLinux 8.4 was released, and they fixed the secure boot issues as one of it's features.  So you could start learning RHEL on the VCS if you were so inclined :)

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2021 at 8:56 AM, justclaws said:

The VCS got an update today to AtariOS, nothing obvious changed, but drivers, I think.
Also, the AtariOS version is now 20210524.124842.production, build p#1042.
There were also firmware upgrades to both Modern and Classic Atari controllers, to version 1.47.

The BIOS password is unchanged, in case anybody was about to ask. The UEFI/BIOS was not update.

I tried that password several times, it does not work. I don’t know if im not putting it in right or it’s changed again. Also wasn’t sure if the “L” in C3l3br8te was a #1 or a lower case l. 

41 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

I tried that password several times, it does not work. I don’t know if im not putting it in right or it’s changed again. Also wasn’t sure if the “L” in C3l3br8te was a #1 or a lower case l. 

"L" but in lower case l

bios.png.2a6ba72579d304a6fc54681e2d043f10.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

Ah, no, the password is here in this forum, page 10, and various other places, not in his video.
(There have been 2 passwords, and the BIOS has also slightly changed since his video.)

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

It is pretty cool that they are letting this be used as an open system.  Has there been any talk of "homebrew" for it?

Well I guess that depends on how you want to tackle that.  My thought was that someone could release a game on a minimal Linux USB boot device that boots straight to a game.  Either that or do one that you distribute however, but requires either a Linux or Mac or Windows install, or we need to figure out how to install something in AtariOS and get it into their launcher.

I think that last bit would be the most useful (and fun).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leech said:

Either that or do one that you distribute however, but requires either a Linux or Mac or Windows install, or we need to figure out how to install something in AtariOS and get it into their launcher.

Out of curiosity, has anyone figured out how they're packaging stuff for use with their launcher?

2 hours ago, 0_obeWAN said:

For what I see (structure system), maybe hope come from https://www.apertis.org/ community (I don't know it) where AtariOS seems to com from 

Yeah, it's an embedded style Linux distribution.  From what I can tell of most of the games on the system, they're just Unity based.

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone figured out how they're packaging stuff for use with their launcher?

Not that I know of?  I mean it doesn't look like it'd be terribly hard to figure out.  My guess would be some xml / json files that define things like name, images, location on file system, etc.  I've only gotten as far as booting on the Linux drive, copying off a game from the AtariOS storage, and then playing it under Linux, which seems to work just fine.  So at least the few I tried seem to be DRM free.  I haven't tried yet doing the opposite, except beyond spending like 5 minutes on it. 

It's structured so that it has some read-only partitions (so you can't muck with the OS from outside) and and there is a backup / snapshot made of the previous version (so recovery is possible).  It's actually rather well done, considering expectations.  Maybe if I get some time (unlikely) I'll poke around inside it to see if I can find any sort of file for getting things to show up in the launcher.  Would be interesting to get something from Gog on there, for example.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 3:25 PM, Stephen said:

It is pretty cool that they are letting this be used as an open system.  Has there been any talk of "homebrew" for it?

What do you mean by "homebrew"?  Stuff that only works on VCS and no other PC platform?   If not there's already a ton of homebrew available for it

For instance here's a pretty cool remake or Rescue on Fractalus that should run on VCS:

https://www.lsdwa.com/projects/fractalus/

8 hours ago, zzip said:

What do you mean by "homebrew"?  Stuff that only works on VCS and no other PC platform?   If not there's already a ton of homebrew available for it

For instance here's a pretty cool remake or Rescue on Fractalus that should run on VCS:

I was thinking exclusives, but with this being really just a generic PC, it will be hard to categorize things that way.

13 hours ago, zzip said:

Would be sweet if this got added to the AtariOS side!  Reminds me, I should just fire it up on the 5200...

2 hours ago, Leo B said:

Trust me there were three.  I used the void one after the Feb update.

Ok, wow. I did all updates on day#1 of release and it never worked for me. I did try it even though it looked fake. ? My guess is it was active as a brief test and we got different veraions then. Thanks!

...or perhaps I just mistyped it. Damn ?

On 6/1/2021 at 9:43 AM, Djmicklovin said:

My tip when a code is not readable because of bad font: Copy to clipboard, open a notepad with a real font which distinguishes them, and paste it to see what the characters really are.

• Like 4