IGNORED

VCS BIOS Related Discussions

andymanone

On 4/17/2021 at 2:48 PM, Erzak said:

So yesterday, someone sent me a message here saying the new password is: 

Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

I don't know who this person (tadream ?) is, and haven't tried it.  I expect it's fake. 

15 hours ago, moonchilddave said:

I got that same message from tadream with the same thing - I have not tried it yet.

Interesting.  @tadream's account signed up two days ago, has zero posts, and is quite helpful with BIOS passwords.  What a kind, if reclusive, individual.  Hopefully they will be joining us here in the coming days.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, moonchilddave said:

So, anyone know where the VCS connects to check for updates?  If possible, I'd love to just block that in my router - so I don't end up locked out with another update now that I'm in.

I don't know for firmware updates, some tools as wireshark, Abel & Cain could answer...

For Apps and games, a start of answer is in Storage partition \games\... 

exemple with Chrome bundle.ini file

[Bundle]
Name=Google Chrome
Exec=launch-chrome-browser https://atarivcs.com
Type=Application
Version=70
StoreID=S9d8oFdW8umLtTUp
LauncherTags=browser;chrome
LauncherExec=launch-chrome

Good evening,

I recently saw a new folder on the first system partition called "apertis". Until the last vcs.21 bios update it was not there.

It contains what seems to be the latest firmware. 
There is a folder called "apertis" with a file called "fwupdx64.efi" and a folder called "fw". 
The folder named "fw" contains a file named "fwupd-12b99262-648c-4265-bafd-eb812fb7eb47.cap".

Maybe there are some answers to the question of updates in it? In particular, although I don't know anything about certificates, it seems to me that there are URLs that point to certificates, for example: http://crl.microsoft.com/pki/crl/products/MicCorThiParMarRoo_2010-10-05.crl0

I don't know if this is relevant or not, if in doubt I'll share. Sorry if it's not.

12 hours ago, 0_obeWAN said:

Good evening,

I recently saw a new folder on the first system partition called "apertis". Until the last vcs.21 bios update it was not there.

It contains what seems to be the latest firmware. 
There is a folder called "apertis" with a file called "fwupdx64.efi" and a folder called "fw". 
The folder named "fw" contains a file named "fwupd-12b99262-648c-4265-bafd-eb812fb7eb47.cap".

Maybe there are some answers to the question of updates in it? In particular, although I don't know anything about certificates, it seems to me that there are URLs that point to certificates, for example: http://crl.microsoft.com/pki/crl/products/MicCorThiParMarRoo_2010-10-05.crl0

I don't know if this is relevant or not, if in doubt I'll share. Sorry if it's not.

The UEFI BIOS has certain certificates pre-registered; they are the ones used for Windows, Ubuntu, Fedora etc..
Microsoft basically generated certificates which could be used for Linux and other distributions needing secure-boot.

When you install Linux, it's also possible to add your own keys, using signing tools, under Linux, for example.
It may be that somebody reading this is expert with this, but for most people it's unfamiliar.
e.g. This Debian page explains that in more detail. ?
https://wiki.debian.org/SecureBoot#:~:text=UEFI Secure Boot (SB) is,operating system has been loaded.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justclaws said:

The UEFI BIOS has certain certificates pre-registered; they are the ones used for Windows, Ubuntu, Fedora etc..
Microsoft basically generated certificates which could be used for Linux and other distributions needing secure-boot.

When you install Linux, it's also possible to add your own keys, using signing tools, under Linux, for example.
It may be that somebody reading this is expert with this, but for most people it's unfamiliar.
e.g. This Debian page explains that in more detail. ?
https://wiki.debian.org/SecureBoot#:~:text=UEFI Secure Boot (SB) is,operating system has been loaded.

Thanks for the link

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to disable secure boot. I have the new password and I'm able to access the BIOS, but when i go to "administer secure boot" (to turn off secure boot) it says "the operation is only allowed before booting any boot device!!! Please reset system and enter this menu directly if need use this operation". 

Therefore I can't turn off secure boot. Any ideas?

10 minutes ago, Jack Burton 1 said:

If anyone else is curious, I solved my own problem. I changed the boot type from UEFI to legacy and now the VCS allows me to boot from a USB. This allows me to get into Batocera from a USB drive.

I should I have mentioned that earlier.  I’ve been booting up from SSD since the beginning.  There was a YouTube video that I followed to do the setup.  I also changed powe settings, changed RAM speed to match what I installed and dedicated 12GB to the video card.

3 hours ago, Leo B said:

I should I have mentioned that earlier.  I’ve been booting up from SSD since the beginning.  There was a YouTube video that I followed to do the setup.  I also changed powe settings, changed RAM speed to match what I installed and dedicated 12GB to the video card.

Ha, what was the actual password, I never tested the one above.  Not that I have done much with my VCS as I have been busy as hell lately.

10 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, what was the actual password, I never tested the one above.  Not that I have done much with my VCS as I have been busy as hell lately.

The two threads about BIOS password are now merged, along with all the previous history.
See above. ?

I think a single thread with the historical background is useful. 
The correct password is confirmed here, in both cases - Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

The first post of the new VIOS password was here - others deserve the credit!

Then it was confirmed here, and even the next post is of a video for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The VCS got an update today to AtariOS, nothing obvious changed, but drivers, I think.
Also, the AtariOS version is now 20210524.124842.production, build p#1042.
There were also firmware upgrades to both Modern and Classic Atari controllers, to version 1.47.

The BIOS password is unchanged, in case anybody was about to ask. The UEFI/BIOS was not update.