andymanone

VCS BIOS Password

On 6/1/2021 at 5:29 PM, 0_obeWAN said:

For what I see (structure system), maybe hope come from https://www.apertis.org/ community (I don't know it) where AtariOS seems to com from 

This will allow you to have a persistent root shell on the running Apertis system. It exploits the OverlayFS features to set a root and user password, and launch a backdoor root shell on port 4444. 

https://github.com/ArcadeHustle/AtariVCSroot

https://github.com/ArcadeHustle/AtariVCSroot/blob/main/atarivcs.sh

E5egiBGXwAYlGlm.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, ArcadeProjects said:

This will allow you to have a persistent root shell on the running Apertis system. It exploits the OverlayFS features to set a root and user password, and launch a backdoor root shell on port 4444. 

https://github.com/ArcadeHustle/AtariVCSroot

https://github.com/ArcadeHustle/AtariVCSroot/blob/main/atarivcs.sh

E5egiBGXwAYlGlm.jpeg

Many thanks for these links and hats off to @ArcadeHustle. Bravo, even if I didn't really understand everything. 
It still seems to smell pretty good ^^ for whoever wants to go digging into the guts of the beast. 
I don't know the Apertis system, I don't know much about Linux either, but from what I've seen Apertis 2021 is a sort of "media-center" or on-board browser but it seems to handle audio and video?

I think it will speak to some people (or not) but now I'm dreaming of an equivalent of multiMAN (PS3) or even better XBMC (Xbox). So many good memories for the ones I have left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:43 AM, 0_obeWAN said:

Many thanks for these links and hats off to @ArcadeHustle. Bravo, even if I didn't really understand everything. 
It still seems to smell pretty good ^^ for whoever wants to go digging into the guts of the beast. 
I don't know the Apertis system, I don't know much about Linux either, but from what I've seen Apertis 2021 is a sort of "media-center" or on-board browser but it seems to handle audio and video?

I think it will speak to some people (or not) but now I'm dreaming of an equivalent of multiMAN (PS3) or even better XBMC (Xbox). So many good memories for the ones I have left.

I'm glad also for the AtariVCSRoot links, even if I don't do it on mine yet.

If I'm understanding, I think the hack assumes first you can boot into your own Linux on the machine and mount the Atari partitions so you can edit the files.

After you make the edits then you would be able to reboot into Atari OS and it would have the backdoor so you could get a command prompt (ssh) from another computer on the LAN, and have root access inside Atari VCS 800 as it is running.

Pretty awesome to me, helps to have the true hacker mindset.

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2021 at 11:43 AM, 0_obeWAN said:

I have wondered if Apertis is what Tesla uses on their tablets.  Really would not surprise me, and I believe the project's page says it is for Automotive uses.

Edited by leech

So, I will be upgrading the Ram to 16 tomorrow, hopefully it goes well, but I know I'll need to get into the Bios to change the speed from 2666 to 3200 mhz, hopefully someone knows the password.

Edited by SizzleAtari

9 hours ago, SizzleAtari said:

So, I will be upgrading the Ram to 16 tomorrow, hopefully it goes well, but I know I'll need to get into the Bios to change the speed from 2666 to 3200 mhz, hopefully someone knows the password.

It was changed by ATARI last times by Firmware updates...

But you can take a look at the -> VCS Password Thread

Cheers,

andY

My VCS is showing default settings after the latest update. Went into the BIOS and it shows my RAM speed is still increased, as well as the dedicated VRAM and CPU wattage. Also the BIOS password is still the same so what the hell happened? Somebody help.

Edited by Djmicklovin

15 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

My VCS is showing default settings after the latest update. Went into the BIOS and it shows my RAM speed is still increased, as well as the dedicated VRAM and CPU wattage. Also the BIOS password is still the same so what the hell happened? Somebody help.

Yeah it is weird. After the firmware update, secure boot was still turned off, and my boot loader worked as it should. But my memory overclocks and my added graphics memory weren't showing up on GPU-Z when I booted into Windows. I had to go in and make a subtle change in the bios, then hit F10 to save. Then changes showed up in GPU-Z.

1 hour ago, Zoyx said:

Yeah it is weird. After the firmware update, secure boot was still turned off, and my boot loader worked as it should. But my memory overclocks and my added graphics memory weren't showing up on GPU-Z when I booted into Windows. I had to go in and make a subtle change in the bios, then hit F10 to save. Then changes showed up in GPU-Z.

Yeah my task manager shows stock settings. What subtle change? What do I need to do?

Just hit F10 while in the bios settings, that might be enough.