IGNORED

Monitor problem...

SoundGammon

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's LM379, IC401.   I've been trying to buy a parts/repair vectrex on ebay to build it into a full-sized arcade vectrex cabinet.  I lost the last 2 auctions as the second place bidder, darnit. And I just bought an Asteroids Deluxe to use as the cabinet and display, so now I'm really on the hunt for another vectrex logic board.

• Like 1

@Richard42 Just build your own logic board. It's dead simple if you can find the parts. ;)

Here's one I made, which works just as well as an OG board. You can order these on Sean Kelley's site. Just gather the components from your favorite parts vendors (I mainly used both Digikey & Ebay) and you should be set. Good luck!

See link below ?

http://vectrexmulti.com/order2.html#!/Vectrex-Console-Repro-PCB/p/304570213/category=0

20210526_153309.thumb.jpg.43ac018080289a62b02e248e490e57f0.jpg

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD

Oh that's brilliant, I didn't know that anyone had created a repro PCB.  I was going to swap out the RAM, ROM, PIA, and CPU with faster versions anyway so I could overclock it. I think I have all the chips for overclocking it already.  Do you by any chance have a digi-key BOM that you can share with me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/26/2021 at 10:05 PM, Richard42 said:

Oh that's brilliant, I didn't know that anyone had created a repro PCB.  I was going to swap out the RAM, ROM, PIA, and CPU with faster versions anyway so I could overclock it. I think I have all the chips for overclocking it already.  Do you by any chance have a digi-key BOM that you can share with me?

Overclocking a Vectrex? What would you need to do that for? Are there games with performance issues that this would benefit? Seems like a VecFever or Pitrex is a better alternative than upgrading the actual hardware. However, one thing I would like to upgrade is the soundchip. I discussed this with Thomas regarding the VecFever, because the only thing the VecFever can't accomplish is arcade quality sound due to the soundchip limitations of the Vectrex. I wonder what readily available chip we could use to achieve that?

The overclocking will not help with any legacy Vectrex software, and in fact the doubled clock speed will most likely cause problems and be incompatible with any current software.  My current thinking with this feature is that I will need to make the clock speed selectable in software, and only use the overclocked mode for new software that I will write.  Someday I plan to write a 3D space shooter game similar to Wing Commander for the vectrex.