Jump to content
robodude

Jaguar CD prices??

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, I just checked prices for the Atari Jaguar CD and HOLY SHIT! What the hell happened? I remember you could get them brand new maybe 5 years ago for around $300US? I was lucky to grab an Atari Jaguar brand new in 2015 for about $250US from the US but I hesitated on buying the Jaguar CDs they had in stock(I regret this bigtime). Why in the hell are they so expensive now? Are people actually paying $1,000US+ for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, robodude said:

Are people actually paying $1,000US+ for them?

Yes. If you're patient, you can get a working one for $700-800, a broken one for $400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, robodude said:

Why in the hell are they so expensive now? Are people actually paying $1,000US+ for them?

 

Youtube.  And who is buying them.......people running Youtube channels? 

 

Go ahead an reserve yourself one of these:

 

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1215

 

Your best (only) bet for playing all the Jaguar CD games on your Jaguar for less than $200. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cubanismo said:

Yes. If you're patient, you can get a working one for $700-800, a broken one for $400

Ebay?

I still have the email from Best Electronics when I inquired about the Jaguar CD... $250 US!! I am kicking myself for not jumping on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, robodude said:

Ebay?

Yes. I've bought 3 there in 2020 at these prices, and sold one for $900 after refurbishing it.

 

If you're bent on getting one and willing to put a little work in, the best deals are in bundles. I got a broken JagCD + Jaguar + misc. Games for ~$500-600US I believe. Easy repair, sold the games (they were duplicates for me) and the fixed JagCD, ending up with a free base unit and some minor profit in the end, even after eBay fees. Could have done the same with the base unit, and it would have been a working JagCD for ~$200-300US overall.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep; bundles are the way to go.  You can even sometimes get a pro controller in the mix also since the Jag CD/Pro Controller were both released around the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have my working JagCD+Memory Track+White Gorf CD CIB with the packins avail for $1400 plus shipping(US) - everything you need to get started :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why they are so expensive? That´s easy ....

 

Only the Atari Jaguar CD provides you with

image.thumb.png.d3c6bb5dd111971c8c4566a28a6660df.png

 

And then the exclusive games, you can enjoy only on Jaguar CD, like Jack Nicklaus Cyber Golf, Demolition Man, Creature Shock or Brett Hull´s NHL Hockey.

image.thumb.png.996d8b08af9d4e47072621a9d219a37c.png

 

You better get your Jaguar CD today ...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, evisu said:

And then the exclusive games, you can enjoy only on Jaguar CD, like Jack Nicklaus Cyber Golf, Demolition Man, Creature Shock or Brett Hull´s NHL Hockey.

image.thumb.png.996d8b08af9d4e47072621a9d219a37c.png

It is kind of sad that only 4 out of the 10 shown were released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

It is kind of sad that only 4 out of the 10 shown were released.

5 out of 10, wasn´t it?

Dragon´s Lair, Battlemorph, Highlander, Blue Lightning. Robinson´s Requiem at least with a few decades delay ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, evisu said:

5 out of 10, wasn´t it?

Dragon´s Lair, Battlemorph, Highlander, Blue Lightning. Robinson´s Requiem at least with a few decades delay ...

54 minutes ago, Goochman said:

Brett Hull Hockey was also released as a homebrew so to speak.

Yeah I suppose if you count those post-Atari then it’s 6 out of 10 or even 7 if including Black Ice but I would consider those technically unfinished, just released in their as-is state of playability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

Yeah I suppose if you count those post-Atari then it’s 6 out of 10 or even 7 if including Black Ice but I would consider those technically unfinished, just released in their as-is state of playability. 

Imagine, someone just bought the main system for the Tiny Toons game advertised on the box and then the CD only for BI,WN ... these people are traumatized for the rest of their life 😅

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brett Hull I think it different than Black Ice.  BH is actually playable and finishable whereas BI is more of a tech demo.

 

Anyhow - woulda, coulda, shoulda :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha, bought mine the same time I got my Jag.  While it had little support, I enjoyed the VLM many times.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened is people like Best Electronics finally ran out of unsold new old stock Jag CDs a couple of years ago, so now all you have is the resale market... and that retro gaming resale market exploded in value industry-wide last year.  The Jag CD was already quite expensive by 2019, and now it's gone well up above where it was then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack Nicklaus Cyber Golf looks freaking amazing based on that screenshot.  Very similar in quality level to PGA 96' by EA for 3DO/PS1.  Apparently the team that did Awesome Golf for the Lynx was working on it; and that game rocked so i have every confidence it would have been a fantastic title.  Oh well....sad to think someone was sitting at their desk bringing that to fruition when management walked in and pulled the plug.  Someday I'd love to play a game of golf on my Jag...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B&C ComputerVisions sells a prototype of Cyber Golf and I imagine the prototype is in the ether somewhere. I heard that it isn’t much of a game.

 

Oh, I see, you’re aware: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some fun comments about the Jag CD player, especially all the vaporware titles that were on the original box.

 

However, the games released either officially (like Battlemorph, Hoverstrike, Myst, Dragon's Lair, etc.), later releases (Iron Soldier II, Brain Dead 13), or the homebrew games and ST ports you can burn to discs for playing, even play some prototypes (Soul Star).  

 

So if you can't find a Skunkboard, and want an option to burn and load games while you wait for the Game Drive, pick up a fixer upper CD unit and give it a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2021 at 5:18 PM, leech said:

Ha, bought mine the same time I got my Jag.  While it had little support, I enjoyed the VLM many times.

 

I think I bought mine about fifteen years ago, for about $200, but it came with a big lot of mostly NIB games. Although I haven't used it in a while, I really did get a lot of use out of it, and the VLM is fantasic. Aside from Battlemorph, I believe that I put in the most time on Vid Grid. Great game, even if it was just a freebie. I am definitely going to plug it in soon so that I can unscramble "November Rain". :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I think I bought mine about fifteen years ago, for about $200, but it came with a big lot of mostly NIB games. Although I haven't used it in a while, I really did get a lot of use out of it, and the VLM is fantasic. Aside from Battlemorph, I believe that I put in the most time on Vid Grid. Great game, even if it was just a freebie. I am definitely going to plug it in soon so that I can unscramble "November Rain". :)

I bought my base and CD units a little more than 15 years ago (all from Ebay).  I don't think I paid more than $50 each for the base units and $75 each for the Cds.  The CD I primarily use has the door release button binding a little (like doctorclu).  I really should fix that.  Anyway, yeah, I would never get into a Jag now at current prices.  I have a hard enough time affording a new game here and there.  Maybe when the GD becomes a bit more mainstream the prices for the CD will come down a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2021 at 10:57 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

I think I bought mine about fifteen years ago, for about $200, but it came with a big lot of mostly NIB games. Although I haven't used it in a while, I really did get a lot of use out of it, and the VLM is fantasic. Aside from Battlemorph, I believe that I put in the most time on Vid Grid. Great game, even if it was just a freebie. I am definitely going to plug it in soon so that I can unscramble "November Rain". :)

Man, I wished they had released more videos for vidgrid.  Anyone ever try to hack it to add more music videos in?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

I bought my base and CD units a little more than 15 years ago (all from Ebay).  I don't think I paid more than $50 each for the base units and $75 each for the Cds.  The CD I primarily use has the door release button binding a little (like doctorclu).  I really should fix that.  Anyway, yeah, I would never get into a Jag now at current prices.  I have a hard enough time affording a new game here and there.  Maybe when the GD becomes a bit more mainstream the prices for the CD will come down a bit.

My latch broke as well.  I ordered a new one from Best Electronics for 6 bucks, but I can't help but feel he parted one out for me... I have been meaning to try and make a 3d printable model of it, but haven't found the time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...