IGNORED

New Release: Realms of Antiquity The Shattered Crown

adamantyr

Well I did it!

Spoiler

Found the vault thanks to some judicious use of Magic Eye. The mimics weren't too bad of a final encounter, thankfully. If it was one of the golems I probably would have flipped my desk. :P I know I said the tomb was evil but this was another level on top of that!

Two questions:

1. Was there some way to know the order to use the three numbers in? I just had to save scum and try all the combinations.

2. Who are crossbows primarily intended for? The Bard & Hero? I was surprised to find the Ranger couldn't use them.

43 minutes ago, Brent Ellison said:

Well I did it!

Hide contents

Found the vault thanks to some judicious use of Magic Eye. The mimics weren't too bad of a final encounter, thankfully. If it was one of the golems I probably would have flipped my desk. :P I know I said the tomb was evil but this was another level on top of that!

Two questions:

1. Was there some way to know the order to use the three numbers in? I just had to save scum and try all the combinations.

2. Who are crossbows primarily intended for? The Bard & Hero? I was surprised to find the Ranger couldn't use them.

1. Trial and error was the only way.

2. Rogues can use crossbows too. Rangers have a disinclination for mechanical devices.

10 hours ago, adamantyr said:

1. Trial and error was the only way.

2. Rogues can use crossbows too. Rangers have a disinclination for mechanical devices.

Ah, I thought Rogues couldn't equip crossbows because when I tried to equip the Triarchus I just got a big sad sound as feedback. Turned out I still had sling stones equipped in the ammo slot.

54 minutes ago, Brent Ellison said:

Possible bug:

Hide contents

When I free the thief in the Voivode's dungeon with the Skeleton Key he says I can find him at the Brewery, but when I go there afterwards I only have options to Drink or Leave.

Yep, that's a bug. Easy fix fortunately! I'll get a new build out tomorrow for it.

1 hour ago, oddemann said:

I play D&D, as player and DM.

How hard would it be to use some of your data to make a "TI DM Master Screen"? Like have monsters and everything to be an aid to the DM as s/he is running the game live or online? 

Only challenge is to bring the TI with you. ?

There is an important qualifier here: which edition of the game do you play? I tend to use 1st Edition or 3.5 personally, but I suspect others here will be all over the map.

As to the challenge of the TI presence, if you get your group onto a virtual table (mine does this) you have the DM maintaining the game board (we use regular miniatures and a plexiglass board on camera). No problem using your TI as a game master aid at all in that environment. . .and you get to maintain proper social distancing while enjoying the group interaction too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oddemann said:

I play D&D, as player and DM.

How hard would it be to use some of your data to make a "TI DM Master Screen"? Like have monsters and everything to be an aid to the DM as s/he is running the game live or online? 

Only challenge is to bring the TI with you. ?

I'm slightly confused. :)

Do you mean an actual DM screen with game artwork on it, but otherwise the charts, tables, etc. used for D&D?

Or do you mean some live running program on the TI?

A program that helps you run a combat and more. Keeps track of Turn order, Hit points, AC, Diary and story text. A mix of your game and adventure land, but in a D&D setting, online or live. But sure also some quick charts and tables to call up also. And in the end make a Diary of what happened. 

I think that the TI is more than capable of doing that. A laptop with C99 and the TI Digital DM screen. One advantage is that the text will be big and easy to read (read story/what happens next).

1Story  |  2Combat  |  3PC  |  4NPC  |  5Monsters  |  6Diary

Your in a room ...

Items:

7Quick charts  |  8Quik map

Name               AC      HP      XP       Items

20 Monster3      15      10

18 Joe               17      12

17 Jane             18       14

15 Monster1      15      12

7 Monster2        15      12

Items:

And so on...

4 hours ago, oddemann said:

A program that helps you run a combat and more. Keeps track of Turn order, Hit points, AC, Diary and story text. A mix of your game and adventure land, but in a D&D setting, online or live. But sure also some quick charts and tables to call up also. And in the end make a Diary of what happened. 

I think that the TI is more than capable of doing that. A laptop with C99 and the TI Digital DM screen. One advantage is that the text will be big and easy to read (read story/what happens next).

Your in a room ...

Items:

Name               AC      HP      XP       Items

20 Monster3      15      10

18 Joe               17      12

17 Jane             18       14

15 Monster1      15      12

7 Monster2        15      12

Items:

And so on...

So a whole other game then? :) Sounds like a great project for someone else! :D

• Like 1

Hmmm, yes... it could be another game. But that is not my thinking. But... WOW... you know... THIS IS for you! Thinking about it, you can make a bard game of your game. For x players playing this and since you already has all the stats it would be "easy" to make a D&D type game. My thinking from "So a whole other game then?" You now have a game ready to convert it to a board game... MAN... you have gold in that sense ;)

But what I am thinking of, is a tool for the DM to keep track of stats of the Monsters, NPC, PC and story.

I was just wondering, based on your monster info, if it would be easy to convert into a DM tool.

But now thinking of it, and you should make a board game of it... You can make it so that you suddenly have a MUCH bigger marked. Then you can even use C99 and make a DM tool for YOUR game that you convert into a board game.

Hmmm, yes... it could be another game. But that is not my thinking. But... WOW... you know... THIS IS for you! Thinking about it, you can make a bard game of your game. For x players playing this and since you already has all the stats it would be "easy" to make a D&D type game. My thinking from "So a whole other game then?" You now have a game ready to convert it to a board game... MAN... you have gold in that sense [emoji6]

But what I am thinking of, is a tool for the DM to keep track of stats of the Monsters, NPC, PC and story.

I was just wondering, based on your monster info, if it would be easy to convert into a DM tool.

But now thinking of it, and you should make a board game of it... You can make it so that you suddenly have a MUCH bigger marked. Then you can even use C99 and make a DM tool for YOUR game that you convert into a board game.
I don't know how to say this and not come across as jerky but why don't you make your own game instead of trying to get someone else to make something for you. Great reason to lean basic or C or Assembly.. post your own topic and get others involved in it..

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Brent Ellison said:

More bug reportin'

Hide contents

The Abomination fight in the Hospice had some weird issues with collision. After jumping around I could hit him from various points, and walk inside him as well. Eventually he just stopped moving or acting altogether.

You know, I wondered if the "pounce" ability with bosses would have some issues... I'm surprised none of the beta testers ran into that and said something. Ugh! I will dig into it.

Adam

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arcadeshopper said:

I don't know how to say this and not come across as jerky but why don't you make your own game instead of trying to get someone else to make something for you. Great reason to lean basic or C or Assembly.. post your own topic and get others involved in it..

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Non taken, that was my original question... To gage how much work is behind doing something like that. English is not my native lango. So maybe I do not get my point across as good as you ;) So I am just trying to figure out if this is something I could do in B of Ex B.

But when Adamantyr said... "So a whole other game then?"... First I'm trying to be more specific... But then it hit me that Adamantyr can make a board game of the game he already made. A lot of stuff to make a board game is done. And by what people are saying about his game now... It could be a great thing. Also... Adamantyr must not make or do anything just because I say this or that. Just me thinking aloud.

So the board game was just a "brain fart!"

2 minutes ago, oddemann said:

Non taken, that was my original question... To gage how much work is behind doing something like that. English is not my native lango. So maybe I do not get my point across as good as you ;) So I am just trying to figure out if this is something I could do in B of Ex B.

But when Adamantyr said... "So a whole other game then?"... First I'm trying to be more specific... But then it hit me that Adamantyr can make a board game of the game he already made. A lot of stuff to make a board game is done. And by what people are saying about his game now... It could be a great thing. Also... Adamantyr must not make or do anything just because I say this or that. Just me thinking aloud.

So the board game was just a "brain fart!"

good.. you can do anything in extended basic especially with the compiler.. seriously.. I wrote a damn GUI in extended basic WITHOUT the compiler.. but lets take this to a new topic if you are serious post one

1 minute ago, oddemann said:

I built a character generation program in an early version of Advanced BASIC for the Geneve back in the early nineties--for 1st Edition AD&D. It took a long time to write and to get to do what I wanted it to do--and even then, it only helped the user generate characters, select race, class, skills, and spells. I was working on adding the ability to purchase equipment when I had to withdraw from the hobby for a couple years while I dealt with the aftermath of a nasty divorce. I should probably dig it back out and work on it again. Look at PCGEN for a lot of what you are looking for in this area.

Realms of Antiquity is definitely a completely different style of game engine. It doesn't lend itself to use as a board game adventure as written--and changing it to work that way would actually require almost as much work as the original game did. It would probably be a lot easier to start a game with that end in mind from the start.

Phew!

Spoiler

Just got the Radiant Pharos (not sure what it is, but seems important).

Now THAT was the evilest dungeon yet! The Nightmares wrecked me repeatedly - compared to them the Ur-Grue was a piece of cake! I would have been totally hosed if it weren't for the Eruditic Teas I picked up in the monastery.

Minor feedback - I really wish I could swap weapons in the middle of a fight. I often come across encounters where my equipped weapons are totally ineffective and sometimes can't run away - but those characters are carrying weapons that could work. Of course, there might be some degenerate situation you want to avoid that I'm not aware of, but I figured I'd just toss my opinion out there.

14 minutes ago, Brent Ellison said:

Phew!

Reveal hidden contents

Just got the Radiant Pharos (not sure what it is, but seems important).

Now THAT was the evilest dungeon yet! The Nightmares wrecked me repeatedly - compared to them the Ur-Grue was a piece of cake! I would have been totally hosed if it weren't for the Eruditic Teas I picked up in the monastery.

Minor feedback - I really wish I could swap weapons in the middle of a fight. I often come across encounters where my equipped weapons are totally ineffective and sometimes can't run away - but those characters are carrying weapons that could work. Of course, there might be some degenerate situation you want to avoid that I'm not aware of, but I figured I'd just toss my opinion out there.

Spoiler

The Radiant Pharos is a foci, so it can be held in the offhand, or just carried in inventory. With it, you always have fully lit maps.

Yeah, interface limitations made that impossible. There are ways around it; casting magic blade for example will allow you to damage anything.

44 minutes ago, adamantyr said:
  Hide contents

The Radiant Pharos is a foci, so it can be held in the offhand, or just carried in inventory. With it, you always have fully lit maps.

Spoiler

Ohhhhh ok I thought maybe it was a wand or something so I tried swapping it between people and unequipping things to see if I could equip it but I guess I didn't try the right setup.

Well then that's something else for the wishlist - it would be nice if there were some way to see what type of an item something is OR if you could get feedback easily on why you can't equip something. Either on examine, in the name (Offhand), or with a command that doesn't work but provide feedback (EX: Your OFFHAND slot is full! or EX: Only Paladins can equip this!).

2 hours ago, Brent Ellison said:

Hide contents

Ohhhhh ok I thought maybe it was a wand or something so I tried swapping it between people and unequipping things to see if I could equip it but I guess I didn't try the right setup.

Well then that's something else for the wishlist - it would be nice if there were some way to see what type of an item something is OR if you could get feedback easily on why you can't equip something. Either on examine, in the name (Offhand), or with a command that doesn't work but provide feedback (EX: Your OFFHAND slot is full! or EX: Only Paladins can equip this!).

I considered that in early design, but decided just omitting the option to equip would tell you that you can't equip it. The main time errors happen is when you try and do something like equip an offhand item while wielding a two-handed weapon, or equipping different ammunition to what you already have.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Bit of a confusing conversation with the sorcerer in the green tower:

image.thumb.png.ad0d6ffe839a476b58dfe1869e56bc85.png

I asked him about the Gate, and now he will tell me about Mounds and Circles despite not mentioning them. Feels like I'm missing a dialog page in this conversation.

Mostly I want to know how to get to the realm of Faery... and I guess what I'm missing is him telling me to go to the Mounds and find a Circle there?

8 minutes ago, Brent Ellison said:
  Hide contents

Bit of a confusing conversation with the sorcerer in the green tower:

image.thumb.png.ad0d6ffe839a476b58dfe1869e56bc85.png

I asked him about the Gate, and now he will tell me about Mounds and Circles despite not mentioning them. Feels like I'm missing a dialog page in this conversation.

Mostly I want to know how to get to the realm of Faery... and I guess what I'm missing is him telling me to go to the Mounds and find a Circle there?

Looks like a line got cut off by the option screen... that's hard to predict happening.

After the last line he says: "The sealed gate lies in the burial mounds to the west. Seek the circle of stones."

I'll add in a pause to press any key to break up the screen in that instance.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Brent Ellison said:

Also...

Hide contents

Was the pit with the Pharos in it meant to be the source of the Cragburn blight? If so, was there supposed to be some sort of resolution?

Spoiler

Yes, it was the source. The goal was to acquire the Pharos, which is a powerful artifact.