IGNORED

New Release: Realms of Antiquity The Shattered Crown

adamantyr

Spoiler

Sent.

"You actually only need the seven Words of Power to enter the tower, not necessarily the shards themselves."

Ohhhh ok. I assumed that it was the shards since I got the message to go to the Pristine Tower immediately after getting the final shard. I had discovered the location earlier myself but couldn't get in yet (I guess since I did not in fact have all the words at that point).

13 minutes ago, Brent Ellison said:
  Hide contents

Sent.

"You actually only need the seven Words of Power to enter the tower, not necessarily the shards themselves."

Ohhhh ok. I assumed that it was the shards since I got the message to go to the Pristine Tower immediately after getting the final shard. I had discovered the location earlier myself but couldn't get in yet (I guess since I did not in fact have all the words at that point).

Spoiler

Perhaps you should make sure you have room in your backpack before interacting with something? :)

And for the next version I may add a snarky comment to that effect...

• Like 2

Wow, that's really f-ing cool that this will be released on Steam!  Did I miss the announcement somewhere?  I did not know that was even possible, and I'm really impressed to say the least.

However, I am wondering why Steam over, say, Good Old Games (GoG) which seems to be more in line with a retro-computer game?

• Like 2

Purchased.

That sucks about GoG dragging their feet, I always looked at them as the underdog to Steam.  Ah well, either way, whatever works for the indie devs will always get my support.  It just so cool to see it up on Steam. :)  It gives a whole new perspective on being a game developer in 2021.  I can't wait to get some hours logged so I can write a review.

• Like 4

You can always put a note saying you've played the game off-steam, most people will believe you. ;)

Spoiler

Ready to go to the Overlord's domain but I'm cleaning up somethings and I have a question about Ashford. I made the faery queen swear three times not to send her people into the normal world anymore which I'm pretty sure was a success. However, the Thane of Ashford still says the peril of the noble ones is preventing them from sending lumber to Bleyloch. Am I missing something?

By the way the faery world was VERY cool, I love that I can keep be surprised by the content and see the engine do little things I didn't expect.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:51 PM, adamantyr said:

Indeed... The quest for more money! ;)

This game looks beautiful and sounds great! I’ve successfully booted it up on real metal with the tipiPEB + SAMs card. 

I’m ready to purchase a hint guide before I even start.  I know, probably sacrilegious for me to say so.

When I read that this game takes around 130 hours to complete I feel like I may never finish — honestly. 

I wish to see it all through yet doubt I’ll MAKE the time required. Still, I wish to see everything inside! 

Admittedly, I’ve never played a role playing game. This has never been my gaming genre of choice. I’m excited to try it out but it’s kind of overwhelming as well.

What to buy when? Food or weapons? Spells? Jesus! It seems fun and interesting yet really complicated for the RPG beginner with limited TI-time. 

For me the experience would likely be more enjoyable if I had a hint guide to help me move forward for at least a while. 

Otherwise I suppose I could practice with smaller RPGs, to gain a winning skill set. Problem being this approach requires more time I don’t have. And I don’t want to play lesser RPG games.

I’d appreciate a hint guide as a sort of tutorial to help me gain some traction as a virgin RPG player.

• Like 1

This game looks beautiful and sounds great! I’ve successfully booted it up on real metal with the tipiPEB + SAMs card. 

I’m ready to purchase a hint guide before I even start.  I know, probably sacrilegious for me to say so.

When I read that this game takes around 130 hours to complete I feel like I may never finish — honestly. 

I wish to see it all through yet doubt I’ll MAKE the time required. Still, I wish to see everything inside! 

Admittedly, I’ve never played a role playing game. This has never been my gaming genre of choice. I’m excited to try it out but it’s kind of overwhelming as well.

What to buy when? Food or weapons? Spells? Jesus! It seems fun and interesting yet really complicated for the RPG beginner with limited TI-time. 

For me the experience would likely be more enjoyable if I had a hint guide to help me move forward for at least a while. 

Otherwise I suppose I could practice with smaller RPGs, to gain a winning skill set. Problem being this approach requires more time I don’t have. And I don’t want to play lesser RPG games.

I’d appreciate a hint guide as a sort of tutorial to help me gain some traction as a virgin RPG player.
Hint guide
- make maps
- take notes on anything you read or talk about with NPCs
- save a lot
- dragon's kill you

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I was thinking about publishing a hint book. The main issue is deciding what goes into it, and what the style is.

I was going to have it in a narrative form much like the Ultima hint books, but another part of me thinks it should be more in the style of Avernum, a no-frills straight-up guide on exactly what to do.

Any opinions?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Hi, new to this whole thing. I saw somewhere that the FINALGROM was an option to running this. Did anyone have details and if, in fact, I can still get it in this form anywhere?
It comes with the files to load in your finalgrom and instructions

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I have been playing this for a while with the steam release version and I have really been enjoying the game.  

I just hooked up everything so that I can play it on my TI-99/4a.  I would never have imagined this was possible back in they day!  It is so amazing!  

I do have one criticism, though. Maybe it is my old eyes and the small 12 inch crt monitor using composite video,  but it is hard to see things as you move around the map.  
I would suggest sparser patterns(i.e. more black and less color) for the main grass and cave floors so that the characters and enemies stick out more. 

This is just my opinion, so do with it as you wish.   It is your game and you have done a great job!

17 minutes ago, broettger said:

I have been playing this for a while with the steam release version and I have really been enjoying the game.  

I just hooked up everything so that I can play it on my TI-99/4a.  I would never have imagined this was possible back in they day!  It is so amazing!  

I do have one criticism, though. Maybe it is my old eyes and the small 12 inch crt monitor using composite video,  but it is hard to see things as you move around the map.  
I would suggest sparser patterns(i.e. more black and less color) for the main grass and cave floors so that the characters and enemies stick out more. 

This is just my opinion, so do with it as you wish.   It is your game and you have done a great job!

I actually tested the graphics on my own 13-inch CRT NTSC monitor, so I definitely can understand that. That's one reason the text is white on the top, grey in the middle, and cyan at the bottom; it's not to look cool but to slowly dim the text to make it easier to read on a CRT screen. (Otherwise, you have to double space everything, white text on black background just SCREAMS into your eyes.)

Several floors I did end up redesigning to make them "darker" with more black and less shape so they stood out against obstacles. Most of those are in buildings and dungeons. World tiles still ended up a bit busy like snow, grass, sand, etc. Dirt in dungeons I just used blue to make them darker rather than reducing pixel count.

It was an interesting experiment when I realized how much NTSC influences pixel design. Luminosity actually matters more than color; bright against bright just leads to a muddy mess that you can't see at all. With only 15 colors to work with, it can get challenging to create pleasing contrasts that don't look garish or weird on modern displays but are also viewable on NTSC. I've considered if I should do a "color-blind" version of the game, and just go full monochrome with it, but as of yet no one has really asked for it.

If I was doing a sequel, I'd probably make sure that any given floor tile was only 20-30% filled.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, broettger said:

I think I came across a bug in the version 4.18.041 when talking to the hermit back in Althorpe.  My responses seem to match the last line of text and what appears to be nonsense when I select any response. 

73438272-2AB8-4FA2-8E72-51E198989D2B.jpeg

Hmmm I don't have a repro on my end... that particular text is from another file entirely in fact.

I would reset your game and see if it repros consistently. If it does, zip up your entire game folder and message it to me. (You can do so here on the forums or in Discord.)

2 hours ago, adamantyr said:

Hmmm I don't have a repro on my end... that particular text is from another file entirely in fact.

I would reset your game and see if it repros consistently. If it does, zip up your entire game folder and message it to me. (You can do so here on the forums or in Discord.)

Now, I have a theory.   When I copied the disk images over to the tipi, they were expanded into separate folders. I copied all of the files into one folder to assign to dsk1.  In that process I was warned about a duplicate file and I stupidly let it overwrite the file.  I don’t remember the file name, but I bet that is the source of my problem.  

Update - The file is MH2. It exists in both ROAWORLD12.dsk and ROAWORLD34.dsk.  I copied from 34 over 12.

Edited by broettger

2 hours ago, broettger said:

Now, I have a theory.   When I copied the disk images over to the tipi, they were expanded into separate folders. I copied all of the files into one folder to assign to dsk1.  In that process I was warned about a duplicate file and I stupidly let it overwrite the file.  I don’t remember the file name, but I bet that is the source of my problem.  

Update - The file is MH2. It exists in both ROAWORLD12.dsk and ROAWORLD34.dsk.  I copied from 34 over 12.

Well the file in question you have an issue with is MT0. I would start a fresh install and copy the SAV and SG0-3 files to it. That should fix the problem.

On 11/10/2021 at 5:41 PM, adamantyr said:

It was an interesting experiment when I realized how much NTSC influences pixel design.

I actually yesterday have received my SAMS card, so now can finally start the game on my original hardware. Will be playing from a PAL machine and a PAL CRT though. Curious if that matters much in this perspective?

I am by the way using a RGB to SCART converter (the one made and sold by the Italian TI user group).

My biggest issue right now is that the first left column is not visible on my CRT. But that is a generic issue I have so not limited to RoA. If anybody has any solution for this on CRTs where the overscan is alas not adjustable I would be grateful to hear ?

Now only need to find time for playing ?

EDF35E9E-CAC1-43CC-8F8D-968A3BE3E819.jpeg

F751116A-10D4-4EFC-9A03-33FBA9D738E9.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adamantyr said:

Well the file in question you have an issue with is MT0. I would start a fresh install and copy the SAV and SG0-3 files to it. That should fix the problem.

I am using the files from the Steam release.  I have reproduced the original issue if I start from scratch and use the dsk files and copy them to my tipi.  

if I copy the files from the steam data folder along with with using cartridge bin file on a FinalGROM everything works up to the point of loading the world map.  It keeps asking to insert into disk 1.  

If I use the data folder and try to load from extended basic, I get a white screeching screen instead of the intro at the end of the green loading screen.  

Edited by broettger
Disk error info