Jump to content
adamantyr

New Release: Realms of Antiquity The Shattered Crown

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

you can only load assembly language programs from those original TI carts..  

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but is that due to TI's weird "no assembly language unless it's us" restrictions they had years ago?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked this up today and spent a few hours having a blast playing it. Awesome work! 

 

One question, after I made my party, my screen went all weird (see the pic) for a while after the introduction, then dropped me back at the main selection screen. Then I selected continue and it started the game. Is this normal? I’m playing using a PEB TIPI.

 

 

1EF525C3-51DF-4810-AC65-CD22D10BE982.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried restarting a new game four times, and it happened every time after I made my party. I was a bit worried the first time it happened.  It doesn’t happen when I just continue my saved game though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this on hardware? Do you see the creating new adventure followed by the intro? Please describe the exact set of events. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, adamantyr said:

Is this on hardware? Do you see the creating new adventure followed by the intro? Please describe the exact set of events. 

 

Yep, on real iron. I am using it with a FinalGROM and a PEB version of the TIPI. I just tested it a couple more times. I had the order of events off when I posted earlier.  What happens is, I create a new adventure, create the party, accept the party, then the screen goes weird for just over 30 seconds, then I get the intro, then it drops me back at the main selection screen after I go through the whole intro. I can pick continue adventure from there and the game runs without any problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is your TIPI version and what do you have the TIPI crubase set to?

May be some kind of memory conflict.

Edited by jrhodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm okay. So the phase with the weird screen is it sets back to regular graphics mode to do file updates to restore the SG files (0-3) to start game state.

 

I had to change graphics modes because my experiments found that even though the VDP should have been able to deal with it it in practice didn't. The fact the game remains stable and returns you to the main menu means its not crashing though. Just a graphical glitch.

 

I'll have to test it on my hardware configuration to see. It doesn't replicate in Classic99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing I just noticed. My party was attacked by 8 fly swarms, and when I cast "zap", it let me select an invisible swarm that wasn't in the fight window, but was off on the far right side of the screen below the party stats. Just for the heck of it I zapped that swarm and it was killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that bug (the additional targetable enemy outside the map) is one I'd reported long ago, but seems uncommon, and never causes any larger issues, in my experience.  I just ignore it when it happens (which isn't often).  Sure am curious what causes it though.  Since I was never successful in systematically reproducing it, during playtesting.  Just happened sometimes.  But I couldn't see any common thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious myself but its definitely an edge case. I know the routine to create a target unit list pretty well. And whatever causes it is very rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, adamantyr said:

Hmm okay. So the phase with the weird screen is it sets back to regular graphics mode to do file updates to restore the SG files (0-3) to start game state.

 

I had to change graphics modes because my experiments found that even though the VDP should have been able to deal with it it in practice didn't. The fact the game remains stable and returns you to the main menu means its not crashing though. Just a graphical glitch.

 

I'll have to test it on my hardware configuration to see. It doesn't replicate in Classic99.

That picture looks a lot like the external video bit being enabled on the VDP - Classic99 doesn't support external video. ;)

 

It doesn't warn either.. it probably should...

 

But if that's the case, you can try and set a breakpoint on VDP R0 bit value >01 being set (normal values are 0 for most modes and >02 for bitmap mode, so this would be a >01 or >03, but you can set the breakpoint just on the bit (U0{1}=1 <-- this will mask out only the value '1' for the compare and ignore the rest)).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Tursi said:

That picture looks a lot like the external video bit being enabled on the VDP - Classic99 doesn't support external video. ;)

 

It doesn't warn either.. it probably should...

 

But if that's the case, you can try and set a breakpoint on VDP R0 bit value >01 being set (normal values are 0 for most modes and >02 for bitmap mode, so this would be a >01 or >03, but you can set the breakpoint just on the bit (U0{1}=1 <-- this will mask out only the value '1' for the compare and ignore the rest)).

 

Yeah, I know right where in code it was, I was setting the external video bit. Interesting! I guess I never tried creating a new party on hardware or I'd have noticed. Fortunately it's not a game-breaker. I've got one other bug which isn't a game-breaker fixed for the next one, I'm just waiting for feedback/input before a new release.

 

Adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've possibly encountered a minor bug. When I start a new adventure and after selecting my party, it says "creating new adventure" then it keeps asking for the game disk in drive 1. Well it's already in drive 1 because that's where I started the game from. I then have to quit the game, restart and select "continue adventure" and everything works from there. I have the game disk in DSK1, World disks 1 and 2 in DSK2 and World disks 3 and 4 in DSK3.

I'm using Classic 99 at the moment while my SAMS card is out of commission...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vorticon said:

I've possibly encountered a minor bug. When I start a new adventure and after selecting my party, it says "creating new adventure" then it keeps asking for the game disk in drive 1. Well it's already in drive 1 because that's where I started the game from. I then have to quit the game, restart and select "continue adventure" and everything works from there. I have the game disk in DSK1, World disks 1 and 2 in DSK2 and World disks 3 and 4 in DSK3.

I'm using Classic 99 at the moment while my SAMS card is out of commission...

Are you per chance using disk images? I think Classic99 still doesn't support disk images for write operations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, adamantyr said:

Are you per chance using disk images? I think Classic99 still doesn't support disk images for write operations.

Yes it does. I believe Tursi fixed that issue a while back... And it is obviously writing to the disks since the characters and world are saved...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vorticon said:

Yes it does. I believe Tursi fixed that issue a while back...

You may want to bring up the debugger then and see what it's saying as it attempts to create an adventure.

 

It does a disk file by sector operation and both loads in all the contents from MB0 to MB3, then writes them to SG0 to SG3, respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, adamantyr said:

My guess is that it's not. You're probably playing on the same files as your prior game.

Nope. It's saving everything: character, items purchased, location etc...

Every time I save however, it keeps asking for the game and world disk, so I have to reset Classic 99, restart and resume exactly where I left off. Can you try to duplicate this issue on your end with DSK images in the Classic 99 disk drives?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...