IGNORED

New Release: Realms of Antiquity The Shattered Crown

adamantyr

I picked this up today and spent a few hours having a blast playing it. Awesome work! 

One question, after I made my party, my screen went all weird (see the pic) for a while after the introduction, then dropped me back at the main selection screen. Then I selected continue and it started the game. Is this normal? I’m playing using a PEB TIPI.

1EF525C3-51DF-4810-AC65-CD22D10BE982.jpeg

47 minutes ago, adamantyr said:

Is this on hardware? Do you see the creating new adventure followed by the intro? Please describe the exact set of events. 

Yep, on real iron. I am using it with a FinalGROM and a PEB version of the TIPI. I just tested it a couple more times. I had the order of events off when I posted earlier.  What happens is, I create a new adventure, create the party, accept the party, then the screen goes weird for just over 30 seconds, then I get the intro, then it drops me back at the main selection screen after I go through the whole intro. I can pick continue adventure from there and the game runs without any problems. 

Hmm okay. So the phase with the weird screen is it sets back to regular graphics mode to do file updates to restore the SG files (0-3) to start game state.

I had to change graphics modes because my experiments found that even though the VDP should have been able to deal with it it in practice didn't. The fact the game remains stable and returns you to the main menu means its not crashing though. Just a graphical glitch.

I'll have to test it on my hardware configuration to see. It doesn't replicate in Classic99.

Yeah, that bug (the additional targetable enemy outside the map) is one I'd reported long ago, but seems uncommon, and never causes any larger issues, in my experience.  I just ignore it when it happens (which isn't often).  Sure am curious what causes it though.  Since I was never successful in systematically reproducing it, during playtesting.  Just happened sometimes.  But I couldn't see any common thread.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adamantyr said:

Hmm okay. So the phase with the weird screen is it sets back to regular graphics mode to do file updates to restore the SG files (0-3) to start game state.

I had to change graphics modes because my experiments found that even though the VDP should have been able to deal with it it in practice didn't. The fact the game remains stable and returns you to the main menu means its not crashing though. Just a graphical glitch.

I'll have to test it on my hardware configuration to see. It doesn't replicate in Classic99.

That picture looks a lot like the external video bit being enabled on the VDP - Classic99 doesn't support external video. ;)

It doesn't warn either.. it probably should...

But if that's the case, you can try and set a breakpoint on VDP R0 bit value >01 being set (normal values are 0 for most modes and >02 for bitmap mode, so this would be a >01 or >03, but you can set the breakpoint just on the bit (U0{1}=1 <-- this will mask out only the value '1' for the compare and ignore the rest)).

44 minutes ago, Tursi said:

That picture looks a lot like the external video bit being enabled on the VDP - Classic99 doesn't support external video. ;)

It doesn't warn either.. it probably should...

But if that's the case, you can try and set a breakpoint on VDP R0 bit value >01 being set (normal values are 0 for most modes and >02 for bitmap mode, so this would be a >01 or >03, but you can set the breakpoint just on the bit (U0{1}=1 <-- this will mask out only the value '1' for the compare and ignore the rest)).

Yeah, I know right where in code it was, I was setting the external video bit. Interesting! I guess I never tried creating a new party on hardware or I'd have noticed. Fortunately it's not a game-breaker. I've got one other bug which isn't a game-breaker fixed for the next one, I'm just waiting for feedback/input before a new release.

Adam

I've possibly encountered a minor bug. When I start a new adventure and after selecting my party, it says "creating new adventure" then it keeps asking for the game disk in drive 1. Well it's already in drive 1 because that's where I started the game from. I then have to quit the game, restart and select "continue adventure" and everything works from there. I have the game disk in DSK1, World disks 1 and 2 in DSK2 and World disks 3 and 4 in DSK3.

I'm using Classic 99 at the moment while my SAMS card is out of commission...

1 minute ago, Vorticon said:

I've possibly encountered a minor bug. When I start a new adventure and after selecting my party, it says "creating new adventure" then it keeps asking for the game disk in drive 1. Well it's already in drive 1 because that's where I started the game from. I then have to quit the game, restart and select "continue adventure" and everything works from there. I have the game disk in DSK1, World disks 1 and 2 in DSK2 and World disks 3 and 4 in DSK3.

I'm using Classic 99 at the moment while my SAMS card is out of commission...

Are you per chance using disk images? I think Classic99 still doesn't support disk images for write operations.

1 minute ago, adamantyr said:

Are you per chance using disk images? I think Classic99 still doesn't support disk images for write operations.

Yes it does. I believe Tursi fixed that issue a while back... And it is obviously writing to the disks since the characters and world are saved...

Just now, Vorticon said:

Yes it does. I believe Tursi fixed that issue a while back...

You may want to bring up the debugger then and see what it's saying as it attempts to create an adventure.

It does a disk file by sector operation and both loads in all the contents from MB0 to MB3, then writes them to SG0 to SG3, respectively.

27 minutes ago, adamantyr said:

My guess is that it's not. You're probably playing on the same files as your prior game.

Nope. It's saving everything: character, items purchased, location etc...

Every time I save however, it keeps asking for the game and world disk, so I have to reset Classic 99, restart and resume exactly where I left off. Can you try to duplicate this issue on your end with DSK images in the Classic 99 disk drives?