Jump to content
adamantyr

New Release: Realms of Antiquity The Shattered Crown

Recommended Posts

I so much enjoyed the interview.  Thank you for that!😀

 

To be honest myself I’m more into arcade style games, but from a programmer’s view I very mich appreciate the huge amount of work and skills you put into writing the game. Heck, for a moment I remembered the pain I went through trying to fit Pitfall into only using scratchpad memory and the slow progress when writing more complex stuff in assembly language (also thinking about my abandoned games Time Pilot and Tutankham where I just lost interest after a long time and having put hundreds of hours of work into it). Seeing your interview helps me keeping concentrated on finishing a project before starting the next one.

 

You’ve truely raised the bar and as one of the “new” software packages making active using of SAMS, I’m hoping we’ll be seeing more games and programs written exclusively for it. Perhaps for the next project you could consider the HRD4000B. From a development perspective it has a lot of nice features (besides being a ramdisk).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam, I am very much enjoying Realms of Antiquity.   It is very well done and scratches that itch and makes me want to keep playing for "just a few more minutes".   i've got a pad of graph paper next to me with notes and rough maps so that I can find my out out of dungeons like I would have had back in the day.

 

I do have one question, when upgrading versions ( i will be going from 1-3-004 to 1-5-006 ) how should i do it and bring along my save file(s)?

 

Thank you

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can find notes on how to update your saved game on the version notes page:

 

http://quixotic.adamantyr.com/roa-version-notes.htm

 

In this case, you just replace a couple files in your current game folder and you don't need to do anything else.

 

Or, if you just extract the new version into a new folder, just copy the SAV, SG0, SG1, SG2, and SG3 files over to the Data folder and you can resume play with your current save.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't resist.  I just had to order the physical edition even after buying the digital. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jwild said:

I couldn't resist.  I just had to order the physical edition even after buying the digital. 

You aren't the first! :D And definitely get them now. Unless there is a huge demand I probably won't sell any more than I currently have materials for.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jwild said:

I couldn't resist.  I just had to order the physical edition even after buying the digital. 

Cool I refunded your digital as it's included in the collector's edition. If anyone else wants to do this ping me before pulling the trigger.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say it again, I really am enjoying this game a lot!  I bought my SAMS card just so I could play it, and it was definitely worth it.

 

Two things happened today. The first was a lockup crash while fighting some bears. All the text at the bottom disappeared and the computer became unresponsive. Then I restarted and reloaded my last save game, and went back to the area with the bears. In the battle screen it said there were two bears to fight, but there were 5 on the screen... 2 that I could fight, and 3 "ghost" bears that did nothing. I could walk through them, couldn't fight them, and when I beat the two bears they disappeared. The extra "ghost" bears appeared over three of my guys at the beginning, so at first it looked like only one of my party was there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fimbulvetr said:

I gotta say it again, I really am enjoying this game a lot!  I bought my SAMS card just so I could play it, and it was definitely worth it.

 

Two things happened today. The first was a lockup crash while fighting some bears. All the text at the bottom disappeared and the computer became unresponsive. Then I restarted and reloaded my last save game, and went back to the area with the bears. In the battle screen it said there were two bears to fight, but there were 5 on the screen... 2 that I could fight, and 3 "ghost" bears that did nothing. I could walk through them, couldn't fight them, and when I beat the two bears they disappeared. The extra "ghost" bears appeared over three of my guys at the beginning, so at first it looked like only one of my party was there.

Hmmm that's very weird. That happened on hardware, or in emulation?

 

A major difference between hardware and the emulator is the emulator always zeroes out data on startup, but that's not necessarily true with hardware. It's possible some variables aren't being cleared before use and some data is creeping in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fimbulvetr said:

Hardware. I didn't turn off the computer, just pushed the reset button on the FinalGrom.

Definitely some left over data then. It makes me wonder what variable didn't get cleared; I have routines in encounter set up to blank data for this very scenario, clearly I missed something! That one may be a challenge to hunt down, but I'll fix it if I find it.

 

The crash I can't say; lots of things on hardware can cause crashes. :) I'd say if you do have a crash, your best bet is to power the PE Box down and back on again to make sure the SAMS card is purged of data prior to restarting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, adamantyr said:

Definitely some left over data then. It makes me wonder what variable didn't get cleared; I have routines in encounter set up to blank data for this very scenario, clearly I missed something! That one may be a challenge to hunt down, but I'll fix it if I find it.

 

The crash I can't say; lots of things on hardware can cause crashes. :) I'd say if you do have a crash, your best bet is to power the PE Box down and back on again to make sure the SAMS card is purged of data prior to restarting.

I actually rely on putting stuff in my SAMs memory and rebooting my console to run another assy program that can re read my data from my Sam's card. Nothing to do with the game, but just want to mention that, 

What happens in SAMs, stays in SAMs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GDMike said:

I actually rely on putting stuff in my SAMs memory and rebooting my console to run another assy program that can re read my data from my Sam's card. Nothing to do with the game, but just want to mention that, 

What happens in SAMs, stays in SAMs.

I wondered if SAMS had a battery in it! I may have to adjust my loader to clear certain pages used for dynamic data then

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, adamantyr said:

I wondered if SAMS had a battery in it! I may have to adjust my loader to clear certain pages used for dynamic data then

I kinda figured that the init for Sam's was missing something... but it only cares about whether it can see all the banks or not, nothing about clearing memory on boot. ?? I suppose they consider memory as garbage Even if it's initialized.

 

Edited by GDMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SAMS doesn't clear memory on boot (I don't think any TI memory card does, for that matter). The cards hold memory as long as they have power--and no, there is usually no battery, although if using Zeropower RAMS in a 4M board, they just might have a good battery and hold data even when the power is off. As the 2M Zeropower chips are generally used, the batteries are usually dead, but there will always be random exceptions out there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ksarul said:

SAMS doesn't clear memory on boot (I don't think any TI memory card does, for that matter). The cards hold memory as long as they have power--and no, there is usually no battery, although if using Zeropower RAMS in a 4M board, they just might have a good battery and hold data even when the power is off. As the 2M Zeropower chips are generally used, the batteries are usually dead, but there will always be random exceptions out there.

So powering off the PEB box should clear the memory then. I already have a fix for the issue, just making sure unit data is cleared before a battle as well as after. There could be other errant data hanging around but it's definitely an edge case.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All, got bit by retro gaming bug a few years back and have now made my way to my first home computer.  Dusted off the TI and got a 32k sidecar, TIPI and the Finalgrom cart.  

 

This game looks really amazing.  Looks like I need this SAMS sidecar as well so will see how to get one and then purchase this.  Can't wait to try this game out!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleLarrySellers said:

so will see how to get one and then purchase this

Arcadeshopper.com has them usually

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LittleLarrySellers said:

Hi All, got bit by retro gaming bug a few years back and have now made my way to my first home computer.  Dusted off the TI and got a 32k sidecar, TIPI and the Finalgrom cart.  

 

This game looks really amazing.  Looks like I need this SAMS sidecar as well so will see how to get one and then purchase this.  Can't wait to try this game out!

Sidecars are good if you want to somewhat limit your expansion possibilities. For long term flexibility, a Peripheral Expansion Box (PEB) is definitely the way to go. SAMS exists in both flavors (I make the PEB cards), as does TIPI.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minor bug - I picked up the chalice from the temple of light as part of the thieves guild quest and it told me that I had permission from the priest to do so (which I did not remember getting). Then later when I talked to the priest he said I had stolen from them and shouldn't talk to him anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Brent Ellison said:

Minor bug - I picked up the chalice from the temple of light as part of the thieves guild quest and it told me that I had permission from the priest to do so (which I did not remember getting). Then later when I talked to the priest he said I had stolen from them and shouldn't talk to him anymore.

Doh! Sounds like another case of my dyslexic bit checking being off. I'll get that fixed along with boat issues in the next build. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...