IGNORED

Master System Woes And More

Yosikuma

I'm honestly not sure if this is the place to post this; the Genesis naturally has a dedicated area but not the Master System.

So I picked up a used Master System recently. It was pretty dusty but powers on and that's fine.  I just finally got some games and noticed that up and the up diagonals do not respond on the left port, and none of the directions at all seem to respond on the right side. Using any number of controllers does not seem to do anything. So, I was wanting to pop this thing open eventually to install an FM card, but ... I admit, I know very little about the system. Is there something I can do to possibly remedy this problem? Where should I begin looking? Is this repairable?

A couple of other questions:

I see the system had a paddle for games like Woody Pop. Does a standard DB9 paddle work in its place, or is the Sega one proprietary?

One of the controller pins seems bent on the system. Any decent way to possibly bend this back? 

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I own a Master System and there is one game where the controller doesn't work as it should. I literally had to rewire a 2600 controller to play that game. Before you write of your console you should check another game. Actually any standard Genesis controller should work fine.

As for Woody Pop give it a try, you might find out it actually works. Basically anything that works on a 2600 and should work on a Master System. 

Bent Pin, I know there is a specialized tool. I just don't know what it's called. 

5 hours ago, Classic Pac said:

I own a Master System and there is one game where the controller doesn't work as it should. I literally had to rewire a 2600 controller to play that game. Before you write of your console you should check another game. Actually any standard Genesis controller should work fine.

As for Woody Pop give it a try, you might find out it actually works. Basically anything that works on a 2600 and should work on a Master System. 

Bent Pin, I know there is a specialized tool. I just don't know what it's called. 

Sadly it seems the system and not the controllers; the controllers seem to work fine in other systems. In the port without the bent pin, every controller I throw at it responds the same way.

There's a shortlist of SMS games that don't work properly with a Genesis pad, it's recommended you get a real SMS pad. https://www.smspower.org/forums/12093-ListOfIncompatibilitiesAmongSMSGamesHardware

Or, if you want, inside the official Genesis 3-button pad is a grey colored wire that is the select signal. If you disconnect this wire, the controller will behave exactly like a SMS pad, just a D-pad and 2 action buttons. If you connect the grey wire to a small SPST toggle switch and carve a hole in the plastic shell for the switch to mount in, you can have a Genesis and SMS compatible controller. A good place for such a switch is near the cable.

I'm not sure what could be causing unresponsive inputs on the controller ports. It could be the sockets, maybe the soldering is cracked on the PCB, or it's the resistor packs near the controller ports.

You said one of the pins inside the controller connector is bent? It's possible to bend it back, but it will be weaker than before. If you have damaged controller sockets, you should buy new ones and replace the broken ones. You could get new DB9 sockets from eBay, console5, probably tototek or other places.

• Thanks 1

Issues with controls (and video connection) usually come from broken solder joints on the SMS.

The SMS is easy to work on, especially the first model.

You can easily open it and reflow all the solder joints.

If it keep not working, the traces might have been broken; thanksfully all the traces to the pad ports have really nearby solder points on resistors so adding jumpwires is easy to do (if very annoying and boring).

I greatly recommande the FM board, installation is easy enough and the improvement on some games (including the unnofficial patch for Sonic 1 are really game changers.

• Like 2

Oh no another console you picked up giving you issues :( as Koopa said if you aren't using SMS controllers then try getting one or two of them first, though bent pins aren't sounding great. From a non technical person's perspective, I have risked rebending pins to ensure a proper fit for wires and its worked OK in the past. Some controller female side ports will also struggle to make a connection, even if they seem to work better on another console. While mega drive controllers are probably one of the most versatile controllers without mods or adapters, definitely get some SMS pads. The original have wire going into the side-they are a bit in the way so try and find the more traditional out the top variety.

At worst, it may mean replacing the controller port male connections hopefully it's nothing bigger. I don't know if replacing the one with the bent pin will make the second port behave. 

On 12/30/2020 at 5:20 AM, Classic Pac said:

Atari paddles do *not* work with Woody Pop or any Mark III games that use the Paddle Control. The reason for this is because the SMS doesn't have analog inputs on its controller ports like the 2600 and reads the paddle in a different way. This page explains further: https://www.smspower.org/Development/Paddle

On 12/31/2020 at 8:25 AM, Mikebloke said:

said if you aren't using SMS controllers then try getting one or two of them first, though bent pins aren't sounding great. From a non technical person's perspective, I have risked rebending pins to ensure a proper fit for wires and its worked OK in the past. Some controller female side ports will also struggle to make a connection, even if they seem to work better on another console. While mega drive controllers are probably one of the most versatile controllers without mods or adapters, definitely get some SMS pads. The original have wire going into th

That's kind of what I was afraid of. I don't assume there's an alternative to the original paddle is there?

• 2 years later...
On 1/3/2021 at 6:16 PM, ApolloBoy said:

Atari paddles do *not* work with Woody Pop or any Mark III games that use the Paddle Control. The reason for this is because the SMS doesn't have analog inputs on its controller ports like the 2600 and reads the paddle in a different way. This page explains further: https://www.smspower.org/Development/Paddle

The 2600-daptor D9 says it has support for the Sega Paddle control, does anyone know if Fusion or any other emulator allows the paddle controller to work correctly with Woody Pop?

On 1/4/2021 at 2:53 PM, Yosikuma said:

That's kind of what I was afraid of. I don't assume there's an alternative to the original paddle is there?

What Shawn just posted above is probably your only option.  Or honestly...just play the Game Gear version.

I'm not sure exactly what the goal is here given that Woody Pop was a Japanese exclusive, and neither the original Sega Card nor the associated OEM paddle will work on a Western SMS unit without a BIOS swap.  Or do you own a Japanese unit?

• Like 1

Just giving you my nickels worth of advice here. (Regarding Woody Pop)

I also had a huge interest in getting Woody Pop for my SMS ever since the first day I saw it advertised by Sega in a US catalog! Of course, it was never to be released here and I would come to find out years later that it’s US release was cancelled.

In later years I again became obsessed with somehow / someway finally being able to play this game on my normal US system here in the USA with my normal SMS control pad. (because that’s what I had wanted and had been denied and it just didn’t seem fair to me)

And so with an eprom cartridge and a patched rom file, I finally got the game and I was able to play it on my system. So, yes, technically, it is possible, and you can do it too.

1) Now a days it would probably be easier to simply buy an SMS ever drive type of multi cart and simply load the patched rom file onto it.

2) Either way, once you do finally play the game, you will soon realize that having a paddle control would indeed make the game much easier, more playable, and far more enjoyable.

And thus you’ll end up realizing be careful what you wish for.

• Like 2