IGNORED

Help me convince my gf to buy a ColecoVision with me

pixelatedharmony

2 hours ago, sn8k said:

Seriously?!?!? I thought it looked as good as it did because of SGM. Thats nuts.

As some have noted, the SGM does not enhance game graphics, it just adds an extra sound chip and more RAM for programmers to work with.

The F18A is hardware upgrade that enhances graphics if the programmer implements support for it. It is also a built-in feature of the Phoenix.

Another item that plays a big part in today's games is the MegaCart Bank-Switching PCB. If you only have 32K of rom space to work with, you will probably have to scale back on the detail in the graphics, number of screens, size of the game, etc. but if you have 1024K (???) of rom space to play with, programmers can do a lot more with their games all within the confines of the video chip.

• Thanks 2

On 12/30/2020 at 11:44 AM, youki said:

In this list there are game that do no require SGM nor a Phoenix 

In addition you have lot of Today's game that do not require the SGM nor a Phoenix.

You should show you girl friend Cabbage Patch Kid  , it is very cute game.

Vidéo-in Game ~ Cabbage Patch Kids : Adventures in the Park (ColecoVision) - YouTube

I had looked at the Cabbage one, it seemed really sweet to look at but also appeared to be a children’s game, I fret that it might seem patronizing for a person coming in relatively cold. Maybe I’ll hang on to that one if she starts to grow fond of the machine ?

On 12/30/2020 at 2:05 PM, Dutch Colecovision Fan said:

You don't have to pay $ 300 for a SGM (Super Game Module from Opcode games), there is a sixth run coming. The fifth run was $ 90. You can subscibe for the sixth run if you want to.

https://opcodegames.us9.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=ef7be83c593bc1d831a827842&id=8ed2c58e0f

The Phoenix is a complete replacement for the original Colecovision plus it has the features of a SGM. Also a great choice. 

Question is: do you want to have the original console specifically? If you do then follow

the advice that Pixelboy has given you (and Youki was quicker with Cabbage Patch Kids than I am?). 

Does your GF like for instance shooter games or RPG's?

Believe me, when you get to know more about what has been developed for the Colecovision for the past 20 years you will be sold for the rest of your life!

Join the club(s)!

I am looking at an original console just because there is one near me, and we’ve talked about going in halfsies on consoles before.

She likes games that tickles her brains, so lots of sim games and puzzlers but if there’s a platformer like Braid for example that can scratch the noggin she enjoys it whatever the genre may be.

2 hours ago, pixelatedharmony said:

I had looked at the Cabbage one, it seemed really sweet to look at but also appeared to be a children’s game, I fret that it might seem patronizing for a person coming in relatively cold. Maybe I’ll hang on to that one if she starts to grow fond of the machine ?

Don’t fret. CPK is one of the all-time greats; a true predecessor to Super Mario Bros. A fun and challenging game with horizontal screen-by-screen play-through (like Pitfall!), and a great musical score. By all means, pick up a copy. If you learn to get past “the dreaded screen 23”, then you will have become a true champion. ?

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 1:27 AM, pixelatedharmony said:

Well, yeah, I just wanted some advice from people who love this system on why it’s worth investing some love into.

The appeal of Colecovision at the time was "Wow! Finally arcade-quality graphics at home!" (arcade-quality by 1982 standards anyway)

It sounds like you weren't there at the time, so I'm not sure what its appeal in 2021 would be.   It has nicer visuals than Atari 2600/Intellivision.   It has a large selection of arcade ports,  especially some lesser known hits.   Outside of Donkey Kong, Turbo and Zaxxon, Coleco seemed to license the remnants that Atari and Parker Bros passed on.   The other thing is the console only last two years before Coleco exited videogames due to the crash, so it's library is truncated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pixelatedharmony said:

I am looking at an original console just because there is one near me, and we’ve talked about going in halfsies on consoles before.

She likes games that tickles her brains, so lots of sim games and puzzlers but if there’s a platformer like Braid for example that can scratch the noggin she enjoys it whatever the genre may be.

You should show her fortune builder amd zenji, two player sim action and a race against the clock mega puzzler. 

• Thanks 1

Just echoing what some people have said, but the ColecoVision is the best console to own from the pre-NES days (the 2600 would be #1 but a 7800 has backwards compatibility). It's graphics are very impressive even to those who didn't necessarily grow up with it (I can't be alone in that thought). It has superior versions of quite a few cross-platform games. Even if a game here or there is better elsewhere, you're usually getting a top-tier port regardless. When I tried to narrow the number of consoles I had from that era, the ColecoVision, 7800, and NES covered all my needs pretty thoroughly (sorry INTV owners!). And of course the new games really add to that as well. Gulkave, Ninja Princess, Moon Patrol, and many more.

The controller is crap, for sure, but there are ball top mods for it you can get. Not sure why you care too much about the box, unless you display it?

There are consoles that hard to justify owning, like the Super Cassette Vision, but in my opinion, the ColecoVision is not one of those.

• Like 1

Update: I did take her to the store to look at the unit but she was not feeling well and wasn’t really impressed/focused on what I was saying. I was gonna load up some ROMs for her to try, thinking of including Ladybug, the Cabbage Patch kid game and maybe one other that’s easy to pick up and play. Taking suggestions! I’ll post a reply here if I make any progress that way.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 10:11 PM, Rhomaios said:

I'd also show her Congo Bongo, Tutankham, Tapper, and a video of Ninja Princess. What actually helped me decide was looking at comparison videos (Let's Compare in particular) which quite often showed the CV version to be one of the best versions every time.

Oh something like that would be perfect for when we wake up in the morning and have something on while we hang out waking up together :D