IGNORED

Atari 5200 Power Issue (Help Needed)

JadedVGC

Hey everyone, I just picked up an Atari 5200 today off Facebook marketplace and it was working just fine this evening! After I got done playing it, I noticed the power supply was making a faint humming sound indicating that it was electrically charged. I was concerned about it, but I figured that was normal for an old power supply to make that noise. However, I eventually noticed that the power supply stopped making the humming noise. When I tried to turn the console on again, it would not power on at all. I tried different outlets and none of them solved the problem. I initially thought the problem was the switch box because I know they can be very finicky. However, I am more inclined to assume this is a power supply issue. I was able to use a multimeter to test the power supply and I found that it was not sending the correct signal of 9.3V DC to the switchbox (instead it was sending 150-160). I believe this means that the transformer broke within the AC adapter. Is there an easy fix for this or should I just cave in and buy another power supply off eBay? I'm just concerned that the problem won't actually be the power supply and it will instead be the switcher. Any advice or insight would be appreciated!

Edited by JadedVGC

The power supply unplugged from the console should be putting out about 12 - 14v without a load. Could even be more but there should be at least 9v + of the end of it. If you aren't getting that, then the only real item inside the power supply that can be replaced besides the transformer is the main filter cap and the buzz fuse that is soldered in. The fuse can go out but it sounds like based off your description that the transformer might have gone out. 

But yeah, if you aren't reading anything off the end of the power supply plug, then that is the main issue to resolve first. NOS supplies can be purchased from The Brewing Academy here:

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-5200/products/5200-nos-power-supply-co18187

But they are essentially untested and original new old stock. I've ordered two from them and have one I use on my bench for working on 5200s that hasn't give me any issues. I'm sure you can also find cheap replacements that will do the job off Amazon. Just needs to provide 9v at 2Amps output with center tip positive on the polarity. The barrel jack size is 2.5mmx5.5mm in size.

Hey thanks for the response! I can now make the determination that it is most likely the AC adapter. In fact, it is reading very low (around 1v to 2v) at the end of it which definitely means that something within it is broken. I was just concerned for a bit that the console or switch box itself was causing the power issues. I just ordered a power supply for a bit cheaper on eBay first so I will see if that one fixes the issue. Is there anything else that could be causing this problem in your opinion or is it with a 99% likelihood the AC adapter? Sorry I am new to the Atari 5200 and I just want to make sure its not fully broken. 

Edited by JadedVGC

Well the 4 port version uses the special switchbox to pass power through to the console with video and audio coming back through for RF output and those can go bad. Usually the transistor inside them will pop if the wrong kind of adapter is used on them.

Aside from that, if the switchbox seems to be good and the power adapter is putting out the right volts/current, then the next common issue would be the 4013 IC chip that controls the On/Off status of the console. They are soldered on later consoles with 2 ports, but I believe all the 4 port versions are in sockets and easy to pop out and replace. Don't even have to remove the RF shielding to do that. There are a few other things to check as well but until the power supply is replaced, there isn't too much else to check. And besides the ASAP principle is what it is for a reason. 

A - lways

S - tart

A - t

P - ower

Yeah I am pretty sure the switch box is totally fine. When I was playing it, i only noticed the AC adapter making an audible humming noise which I know is not normal. In addition, I believe it is the correct model of AC adapter (CO18187). Oh well, I can't do much yet until that damn power adapter comes in the mail! I'll update this thread when I test it out.

Another member posted about them having recently gotten one of the NOS ones from The Brewing Academy and how it was humming. But theirs was still working they were just concerned about the hum. I've got several supplies that do this and while annoying, it is also actually normal. The hum is due to the transformer perhaps being loose in the housing internally. I've got a Intellivision I just got working again over the weekend that has a slight audible hum coming from the transformer inside it but it is putting out all the correct voltages etc and working normally otherwise. 

Hmm interesting. I think I should clarify that the console was off when the AC adapter stopped humming. Could this mean the switch box could be causing a problem them or the console circuit board? I am honestly at the point where if the new AC adapter im getting off ebay does not solve the problem, I want to find someone who can repair this. 

Well having not been present when this all went down it is all guesswork. They do fail because after all they are nearly 40 years old at this point. There is also a slow blow fuse inside that is soldered down that can blow. But that usually only happens if there is a short in the power somewhere and they don't usually buzz when it happens.

• 1 year later...