IGNORED

Hardware Upgrades, Experiences and Tips

justclaws

Well, the "geeky" part of me finally won the battle against my financial brain,
as I saw 16GB of RAM for sale 2nd hand, cheap, on a Dutch Ebay equivalent.
The RAM had sat 2 days unopened, as I'd had no time to fit it before today...

Actually, I found the upgrade even simpler than it seemed on videos, but I do
admit I regularly work with massive Linux servers, and I mess with systems
of all types at home. The beauty of the design of the VCS case - I applaud it.

After the 4 screws are out of the bottom, the back "fascia" pops-off so neatly,
and lifting the top cover carefully from the back, the front also releases easily.
I removed the WIFI card, rather then strain the "just long enough" antennas.

vcs2.thumb.jpg.ddd6ad42d0a5c3a073e0396a4b5b895d.jpg

After installing the RAM, which is of course just like putting RAM into a laptop, I
didn't bother reassembling, to test, but of course, subsequently did so after an
hour or so of playing some VCS games, just to be absolutely sure I had no issue.

vcs1.thumb.jpg.67ccd9cb582d2a385eb2eba81e1a7ae5.jpg

I really didn't need the RAM upgrade, but as I said, the "geek" in me won,
and it's my birthday soon, so I decided I'd treat myself, and my VCS to just
a bit more love. I left the screws out, as I might find a cheap M.2 SATA too.

In any case, I can reconnect it to my bigger TV now. The Sweex on the photo
is a great little test screen from the day when a TV with integral DVD was cool,
but it supports full-HD, and I got it 2nd-hand too. Yay, hobbies on the cheap!

vcs3.thumb.jpg.533807204d54fd5d126f9ca8bb64c7eb.jpg

Well, it's not a hardware photo, but now I have even more things to mess about
with over the weekend with my VCS. I run Windows 10 off external USB 3.1 SSD.
(An 512GB M.2 I now have on the way will just be for data, available to each O/S.)

Edited by justclaws
Added 3rd photo, of VCS back in action with 16GB.
  • Like 1

And now you know why I was saying people making a big deal about wanting a compartment on the bottom are kind of missing the point.  It is easy, and you really only need to do it once.  It is easier than upgrading memory on a modern macbook, or some other laptops.

Edited by leech

Has anyone tried running VCS at 54W?  Mine slows to a crawl I have to set it at 45W max.  Also no wifi issues when running In Windows 10 but in VCS the WiFi will drop unless I place it real close to the router then it works fine but when I take it to my bedroom I get the drops.  No drops in windows next to router or my bedroom.  It’s like the WiFi isn’t getting enough power in VCS mode.

2 hours ago, o187em said:

Has anyone tried running VCS at 54W?  Mine slows to a crawl I have to set it at 45W max.  Also no wifi issues when running In Windows 10 but in VCS the WiFi will drop unless I place it real close to the router then it works fine but when I take it to my bedroom I get the drops.  No drops in windows next to router or my bedroom.  It’s like the WiFi isn’t getting enough power in VCS mode.

I think leaving things in the BIOS as vanilla as possible is the best way to be sure of compatibility. ?
There is/was a bug in the WIFI setup on AtariOS which was also in Ubuntu and other Linux distributions.
After the January update, that should be resolved - the WIFI sleep mode is changed. 
I updated it already, and the WIFI behaviour went from glitchy to totally reliable, so I think that is resolved.

7 hours ago, justclaws said:

I think leaving things in the BIOS as vanilla as possible is the best way to be sure of compatibility. ?
There is/was a bug in the WIFI setup on AtariOS which was also in Ubuntu and other Linux distributions.
After the January update, that should be resolved - the WIFI sleep mode is changed. 
I updated it already, and the WIFI behaviour went from glitchy to totally reliable, so I think that is resolved.

I’m still having same issues after January update.

3 hours ago, o187em said:

I’m still having same issues after January update.

Ok so I decided to open my second still sealed VCS to test and did not encounter any WiFi issues from anywhere in my home “updated with new bios so not sure if this one had issues before update”. I switched out the WiFi cards and tested it on the original VCS and no WiFi issues so looks like a bad WiFi card.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, o187em said:

Ok so I decided to open my second still sealed VCS to test and did not encounter any WiFi issues from anywhere in my home “updated with new bios so not sure if this one had issues before update”.
I switched out the WiFi cards and tested it on the original VCS and no WiFi issues so looks like a bad WiFi card.

What rotten luck! Still, great that you could test that, and I imagine Atari could just send you a replacement card.
I suppose it could also be a bad antenna that you have on the first unit. Did you swap the lids, with cables, also?

Good luck, and it will be interesting to hear how that goes. Maybe Mockduck also has that issue.