tripletopper

Classic systems, RetroTink SCART to VGA, and 480i modes

Hello I had myself a Retrotink SCART to ypbpr converter, and it worked fine.  However some capture cards were having trouble with 240p YCbCr.

I traded it for a Retro Tink SCART to VGA line doubler.  It'll be in the mail by next week.

I noticed the PlayStation 2 and GameCube have problems with interlaced video.  Luckily of all the games tested,  only 19 out of like 300+ games for the Xbox Prime were "interlaced only.". That's how I found out that my VGA CRT monitor doesn't do interlaced video

first of all I should I assume that the Hauppauge Rocket, when just used as a video converter, only converts the physical form of the video from composite, S-Video, and component, to HDMI, but the display mode and resolution remain the same?

Second does the Hauppauge Rocket do 240p via S-Video which I heard is a possibility of S-Video?  And does the rocket have problems with 240p via 3 RCA ypbpr?

Third. If I play my Master System, Sega Tower of Power, Sega Saturn Sega Dreamcast and Super NES model 1, which could all accept scarred without modding the system, does either the Retrotink device convert any interlaced video into progressive or is there something in the internal chips of those systems and assume that if SCART is being used that progressive video will always be outputted.  In other words if a game is in interlaced mode for any of those systems, will it not work on the Retrotink?

Now question about the GameCube Wii and Wii U.  If the Wii U is in 720p will we games that are normally in 480i get "progressivized" (de-interlaced). If I play GameCube games on the Wii, will the Wii deinterlace all GameCube games or only run ones with a native progressive mode?

I know about the operating system being in progressive mode on the Xbox Prime just press both analog sticks in and triggers down and hold it down like a second or two to switch between progressive and interlaced.

I also noticed weird artifacts on my PlayStation 3D TV that when Legend of Zelda Wind Waker was in 480p, the PlayStation 3 TV had gobbledygook in places that were normally black picture, like a transparency code or something.

just wondering if there's going to be any weird behaviors dealing with a VGA CRT monitor that doesn't have an interlace mode 

By the way, when converting HDMI to VGA, my CRT beat my PlayStation 3D TV by one frame.  Guess which one I'm playing my modern games on?

On 12/30/2020 at 1:34 PM, tripletopper said:

I traded it for a Retro Tink SCART to VGA line doubler.  It'll be in the mail by next week.

What's that?
Afaik Retro Tink scan doublers all output HDMI.

5 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

What's that?
Afaik Retro Tink scan doublers all output HDMI.

I found on on StoneAgeGamer.com and Retrotink.con direct sells them too

1. You're right.  I though I saw a SCART on one side and a VGA on the other ...  and there were no pictures of the other side except disassembled which is too small for VGA. relative to SCART.

2.  Luckily, I can convert HDMI to VGA. So it's SCART to HDMI to VGA.  Let's hope with my new knowledge of OBS only accepting one video source per USB input that this will work.  Now I'm better able to fix OVS problems.  Also unplugging and replugging USB helps too, but forces you to redefine OBS video sources every broadcast 

Edited by tripletopper
corrected HDMI to USB

Hey tested my RetroTink SCART to HDMI and it does work with my HDMI to VGA adapter.

Not I got the following "holes" remaining to be filled:

N64 (s video)

Game Cube 480i games.

PS2 via PS1 component 480i (most games)

A whole bunch of pre-crash RF games.

I heard all Wii U games, Wii Games via the Wii U, and Wii games directly are all progressive compatible.

For Game Cube games, the original BC Wii will not progressivize 480i only games, but will present games in 480p if the game uses 480p mode on a real GC and YPbPr cable.  I don't know what happens on natively 240p games.

I heard all but 19 Xbox Prime games have progressive mode of sone kind.  I only have 3, and at least one of the 3 is awful.

I know the RetroTink 2X converts composite and S-Video to something a VGA could use.  (HDMI I think,) but a) does it progressivize 480i, and b) I only saw ones with S Vid and composite.  Any component and NTSC RF ones? 

Website doesn't delve into VGA issues. And I can't tell what the inputs are.