IGNORED

Connecting a MegaKiosk DS-18 to 8 EL Panels (Sega Genesis)

SegaDude

Some background info:

The MegaKiosk DS-18 by Will Gentry has inspired me to build an Arcade Cabinet for my Sega Genesis.
(Yes, a Flashcart would be less work, less money and offer more games but below is the route I wan to take.)

MegaKiosk DS-18
1.jpg

The MegaKiosk DS-18 offers two features that I think make this project really cool.

1) You can cycle between 8 original game cartridges.
2) The hardware identifies the active slot with an LED.

So (in theory) I can build an Arcade Cabinet with a button to cycle to the next game and I can have an EL Panel that lights up to match the currently selected game.

This would operate just like a Neo Geo MVS 4-slot/6-slot.

But my skill are very much in the realm of hobbyist. I've replaced capacitors, batteries and repaired my Neo Geo 4-slot EL Panel to give you an idea of what I can do.

I started by building a control panel that will work with a Sega Genesis. It works great and by far the hardest part was the wood working.

The two small red buttons are not in use yet. They are intended to be a Reset for the Genesis and Cycle to the next game on the MegaKiosk DS-18.

sega-genesis-custom-arcade-control-panel

I'm currently looking into what to buy for my 8 Mini Marquees.

So far, I think this will work:

A6 electro-luminescent panel with leads and connector ($10 USD each)
https://glowhut.com/a6-electro-luminescent-panel-with-leads-and-connector/

I believe this inverter can power eight A6 sized EL Panels all at the same time.

Electroluminescent inverter for A3 size EL panel AC 100-240V ($30 USD)
https://glowhut.com/electroluminescent-inverter-for-a3-size-el-panel-ac-100-240v/
*I may only need to power one at a time.
**I'm not sure when someone would want AC vs DC for what I'm planning.

I asked Will Gentry how to tap into the LEDs that indicate the active slot. This was his answer:

"You can simply remove the LED and solder some wires where the LED was to a new LED"

Now for my Question:

How should I run power to each EL Panel and how do they connect to the MegaKiosk DS-18 slot LEDs?

The EL panels should only be getting power from the Inverter.

I was thinking about wiring all the EL Panels to the Inverter such they all light up when the inverter it switched on.
Then finding a way to break the circuit unless there is a signal coming from the MegaKiosk DS-18 active slot.

What do you guys think?

THANKS!

• 1 month later...