IGNORED

Robots Of Death

Retrospect

Here's a nice little blaster for you.  Robots Of Death.  You're in the death arena, in a faraway galaxy that nobody has ever heard of.  Even I haven't heard of it.  I don't even know what it's called. Anyhow, here you are, in your blaster ship, and you've got to kill all these robots.  The robots will head towards you autonomously, if they touch you they will kill you.  They aren't your only problem, you also have to deal with the "XY Zappers" that move along the perimeters, randomly zapping into the arena. Then there's the "Screaming Skulls" which move up and down, and left and right, just to get in your way.  Those will kill you too.  Just when you thought it couldn't get any deadlier, it's worth mentioning the walls of the arena are electrified and will fry you on contact!

In the first few levels the robots are fairly steady, but they do get faster from level 3 onwards.  The XY Zappers are just lethal throughout but their firing rate does pick up after each level ... you've really got to stay on the move and just hope and pray they don't zap you.  To complete a level you've to do either of two things, shoot all the robots dead, or manage to stay in the level for the time it takes for the bottom XY Zapper to pass the arena 32 times.  I don't think that's even possible without dying.

Take note; you do move quite fast but you can't shoot AND move .... you can rotate up,down,left and right whilst shooting though, this comes in handy if you wanna show off in front of your mates or you're surrounded by robots from all sides.

When you complete a level and move onto the next, the robots will change shape and colour.  They do this until level 16, after level 16, old shapes start to come back at random, but the firing rate of the XY Zappers and the movement speed of the robots will be locked at the speed of level 16, even if for some insane reason you reach level 32.  

If you get a high score (you'll have to beat mine but it's not hard once you get into the game) you'll be presented with a screen congratulating you, and given the opportunity to write your initials .... you're allowed three letters, just press the three letters and it will be accepted as your initials you don't have to press enter.

I want to hear from people about this game, how far you've managed to get and if you think it's too easy or too hard?  I personally think it's as hard as a drunken Scotsman.  But it was never meant to be a push-over!

ROBOTS-EROBOTS-FROBOTS-G < Editor Assembler 5 version
ROBOTS-X < Extended Basic version

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

I want to hear from people about this game, how far you've managed to get and if you think it's too easy or too hard?  I personally think it's as hard as a drunken Scotsman.  But it was never meant to be a push-over!

ROBOTS-EROBOTS-FROBOTS-G < Editor Assembler 5 version
ROBOTS-X < Extended Basic version

I'll be checking this out tomorrow.  too late now.  I took the liberty (hope you don't mind) to convert the EA5 version to binary cartridge format (32k) works in Classic99 and should work on the FG99 as well.

RODEATH.bin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jrhodes said:

At work so can't try it now.

So this is like a grid runner clone?

I've taken some cues from GridRunner but it's not a clone as such at all.  The XY Zappers are from GridRunner but don't leave behind any pods.  They just literally want to kill you.  The way the player warps into the game is also a nod to GridRunner and other Jeff Minter games.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vorticon said:

Damn you're on a roll! I can't keep up with you!

Very interesting concept but quite frenetic. I will need to get used to it a bit. It's almost like sensory overload ?

You've hit the nail on the head Walid, that's exactly what it is , sensory overload and frenetic.  That was the intention all the while.  When you get to level 4 onwards your heart rate will raise due to those XY Zappers! ;)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Retrospect said:

I want to hear from people about this game

First off the use of sound in Robots of Death is first rate! While playing I can hear something which sounds very much like a game produced by Williams. This reminds me of Robotron and Defender audibly.  Playing this really sounds like I'm back in an 80s arcade. As for the game -- WOW! FUN!

Easy to learn and difficult to master as they say. You've really done something fabulous here! Inspiring title as the gameplay has me addicted instantly! DEATH BY ROBOT! DEATH BY SCREAMING SKULL! Holy smokes is this cool! BRAVO! Impressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Airshack said:

First off the use of sound in Robots of Death is first rate! While playing I can hear something which sounds very much like a game produced by Williams. This reminds me of Robotron and Defender audibly.  Playing this really sounds like I'm back in an 80s arcade. As for the game -- WOW! FUN!

Easy to learn and difficult to master as they say. You've really done something fabulous here! Inspiring title as the gameplay has me addicted instantly! DEATH BY ROBOT! DEATH BY SCREAMING SKULL! Holy smokes is this cool! BRAVO! Impressed.

Hey thanks Airshack I'm glad you enjoyed it and you've got the right vibes from it.  It's done everything it was meant to do , and I'm very pleased at that.  I wanted the 80's arcade feel, the frantic running around and shooting and the defender type noises were all there to give us that atmosphere :) 

1 hour ago, Omega-TI said:

Freakin-A!  I like it.  It's fast paced, and I've found so many ways to die, those Zappers though... arrrrrrrrgh!

thanks Omega!  lol yeah the Zappers are a real menace, especially onwards of level 4 when they really do pick up their pace tremendously.   Glad you like it :)

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Love the sound effects and the high octane play :D   I even connected my 'weird remote controller' for an extra level of physical anxiety!

Thanks Insane :) 

Glad someone spotted my deliberate "typo".  They ARE weird though aren't they?!  lol  

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, sometimes99er said:

2nd attempt and same score of 520. This time I typed in my initials in uppercase. As said lots of good effects and somewhat frantic gameplay. Almost loosing my cool. :)

Thanks man :)  That's a bloody good score to get on this game.  I don't know what happens if you type in lower case I'm guessing graphics characters appear , i've not tested for that yet lol