IGNORED

FujiNet with SDX on cartridge

I'd like to use SDX 4.49 with the Fujinet.  I don't have a U1MB or similar expansion, so I simply burned the SDX image to an 8mb AtariMax cart.

It doesn't work well with the Fujinet at all.  Immediately after boot, SDX times out whenever it tries to access the Fujinet-hosted disks and fails to read any data.

I don't think this is an issue with the Fujinet, but rather with SDX as I had exactly these sorts of problems using SDX with my SIO2SD device.  I have some disk images with high-speed SIO loaders and they work fine with FujiNet (Pokey divisor 6).  My guess (based on dim memories when I tried this with SIO2SD) is that the Hi-speed SIO support built into SDX just doesn't work well with modern peripherals. 

I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this particular combination and if they have had success.  My FujiNet hardware rev is 1.0 and I'm running the latest firmware.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

Same issue here, trying a variety of SDX versions on my SIDE, SIDE 2 and MyIDE+Flash. Changing to HSIO of 9 I still get error 138. I have no conflicting device IDs (checked that first).

Right now my workaround is to boot MyDOS, copy files or disks to my MIO RAMdisk, power down and insert SDX, then copy from the MIO.

35 minutes ago, David_P said:

Same issue here, trying a variety of SDX versions on my SIDE, SIDE 2 and MyIDE+Flash. Changing to HSIO of 9 I still get error 138. I have no conflicting device IDs (checked that first).

Are there other SIO devices attached?  If so try connecting just the Fujinet to SIO and see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

David_P - did you discover anything? I'm having the same issue. HSIO set to 9, Side 2 installed, SDX running with drives mounted as C, D, E & F. FujuNet with drive mounted as A: and I get 138 error when I try to access the Fujinet drive. The Side 2 mounted drives function correctly. Basically it behaves as if the FujiNet isn't there.

Started down the rabbit hole of trying to update all my devices - side, side 2, ide plus 2.0 ver C, ide plus 2.0 ver E, myide cart, installing Antonia (but now need to update the bios there), installing sophia 2 and pokeymax, adding +5v to the pbi, most recent version of APE... finding all the ways those devices can possibly not behave together... 

...and a PC keyboard that needs replacing because several keys don't work, so cut and paste is the only way to get a "i" or a "k".

The only thing I have found so far is that on my 800XL, Fujinet reports a low 4.7V on the SIO output, so maybe my PSU doesn't seem to have the grunt to get everything running happily. As soon as I saw that, I tried powering the FujuNet directly, which makes a huge difference to my WiFi connection, but doesn't help the compatibility with Spartados X. Neither the Side 2 Spartados (the latest firmware has Spartados X V4.49e) nor the one on my U1MB (again the latest, but this time V4.49) can access mounted Fujinet drives.

The 4.7V should be perfectly acceptable; my Fujinet page shows SIO 4.75V on my Incognito 800 which has a 31VA (~3.4 amp) PSU (actual voltage on it, IIRC, was about 10.5V). I do have an external PSU plugged in for my Fujinet though, and if I were to put my multi-meter on it I bet it would show a similar real voltage. Voltage ratings for PSU's, etc. are rarely spot on and most devices are perfectly capable of coping.

More precisely mine reports 4.757V. I've not encountered any issues with power to peripherals that are using power from my Atari, I'm guessing that I'd get the same voltage readings from my controller ports and PBI which I use with non-external powered devices all the time. But as @_The Doctor__ says, I'm apparently on the bleeding edge. I really didn't think a half volt less would hurt either, but I concede to _The Doctor_'s assessment.

If you see 4.8 to 5.2 everywhere else and it's only low at the sio port then you might consider reinforcing the trace that feeds it, make sure there isn't anything else choking or bleeding of power... the fujinet is a pass through device and the Atari should still be able to power other SIO devices. This is why some things were either externally powered or dead ended the SIO chain.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi I have at the moment a stock 130 XE (128k) side3 / AspeQT Fujinet

I can in SDX see my Fujinet directory D1: but had to change in Fujinet webserver HSIO speed to 6 but i can't access D2: in AspeQT ? All i get is 138 Device does not respond Even though i have used FMALL and all device slots are OK.

If i turn the Fujinet completely off then with the Side3 and SDX i can use AspeQT no problem ? But if using a 1050 drive then D2: works fine?

Ive tried changing the handshake method in AspeQT and none will work only the handshake i can use is the one when the Fujinet is switched off?

Atari 130 XE/Side3/1050 as D2:/Fujinet works great but can't access AspeQT as D2: 

OK I have swapped out the Side3 cart and used my candle on sin sparta dos x cart and now after using FMALL and AspeQT everything is working good :) So i think in the Bios of the Side3 I have settings for the U1mb and since my 130 XE is stock then maybe the Bios needs changing in the Side3 to be more friendly with the XE and AspeQT

So now i'm using candle o sin SDX cart all is well :)

Edited by Back2skooldaze

sounds like the SDX image in your SideB needs configuration set up properly for use and you need to makes sure HSIO functions are set properly in whatever devices you have attached as well... also consider Aspeqt is greatly depreciated and might have more success with RespeQT

• Like 1