IGNORED

DARE to make a 2021 forecast.

GDMike

Hoping for Tilda, indeed. 

In the "bold predictions I choose to believe will come true" category:

- Someone will undertake a flight sim which improves on SPAD XIII Mark 2 (it's a legit flight sim, but the frame rate is just too brutal).

- Someone will undertake a good first person or chase cam racing game (as far as I know, neither exists in a finished state - Rasmus' Formula 18A looked poised to fill this niche at one point).

And in predictions that actually seem much more practicable in terms of effort

- Consensus emerges around a solution for multi-button joystick games which utilises both joysticks as inputs for a single controller, or at least both fire buttons. 

- Consensus emerges around a keyboard PCB replacement project, and we develop some good solutions for custom 99/4A keyboard builds using modern parts. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

- Someone will undertake a good first person or chase cam racing game (as far as I know, neither exists in a finished state - Rasmus' Formula 18A looked poised to fill this niche at one point).

Rasmus has been learning/playing with the SAMS environment for his RAYCASTER, so you never know what the future may hold for a 'revisit'.  Of course this is all idle speculation on my part with absolutely no facts to support my statement... only an undying hope.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, pixelpedant said:

Consensus emerges around a solution for multi-button joystick games which utilises both joysticks as inputs for a single controller, or at least both fire buttons. 

We need both sticks as well as two buttons for game mechanics such as  Robotron2084 where shooting towards a threat while running away is desirable.

image.thumb.jpeg.786e6a19aacec768ac8fd61873174648.jpeg

I suppose something like this would work with an Atari adaptor y-cord and appropriately coded software.

A few of us have MBXs as well. That’s the ultimate TI-99/4A joystick. If only I could find some well documented code or a programming guide? I’d like to program my next game for it.

1 hour ago, Airshack said:

A few of us have MBXs as well. That’s the ultimate TI-99/4A joystick. If only I could find some well documented code or a programming guide? I’d like to program my next game for it.

Well there's Barry Boone's work on MBX development tools:

http://pixelpedant.com/mbx-boone.zip

Includes source for various MBX communication routines, with at least some comments. 

Certainly would be awesome, if someone put that to new use. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2021 at 12:20 AM, pixelpedant said:

Well there's Barry Boone's work on MBX development tools:

http://pixelpedant.com/mbx-boone.zip

Includes source for various MBX communication routines, with at least some comments. 

Certainly would be awesome, if someone put that to new use. 

Thank you! I’ve seen this and it’s no doubt a gold mine of info yet the assembly code examples are not really documented. 

No doubt, everything is in there. It’s just that certain element is missing. The missing link so to speak.

The code examples read like someone explaining how to program MBX, to someone else whom understands how to program MBX.

No doubt it’s the MBX Rosetta Stone in search of someone clever enough to translate it. Not at all in a form that’s instructional. It needs some deciphering.

Maybe I can motivate some smarty-pants TI guru to help?

On 1/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, pixelpedant said:

- Consensus emerges around a solution for multi-button joystick games which utilises both joysticks as inputs for a single controller, or at least both fire buttons. 

- Consensus emerges around a keyboard PCB replacement project, and we develop some good solutions for custom 99/4A keyboard builds using modern parts. 

How about some kind of USB Wireless(?) multi-button joystick interface that uses the TIPI? USB mouse is already there, so it would probably not take too much effort.